Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#14906 - 05/10/05 07:04 PM Old Croton Aqueduct Trail....
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan
me and my gf decided for my 14-miler this past saturday to run the lower section of the Old Croton Aqueduct trail from Yonkers to Tarrytown and back again. after reading about it the current issue of the New York Road Runner Club's rag, NY Runner, we set up to take metro north to the glenwood station, just a few yards from the Hudson River Museum (www.hrm.org) and about a 40 minute trainride from grand central ($6 ow). prepared for rain and driving wind, we were quite pleased to find only mild wind and clouds.

the trail itself is just like a rail trail (only it's a pipe!). running 8 miles north, we could hardly notice the 13 inch rise each mile as we cruised on packed dirt track with only a few rocky sections and several street crossings. there are numbered ventilator shafts in the form of miniature mason turrets spaced unevenly throughout the trail along with old mansion ruins, some lovely homes and lots of fresh spring woodland offering up exquisite views across the hudson here and there.

with no water or facilities along the route, i used my new camelbak alterra outfitted with two add-on 8oz bottles. this worked well for what ended up being 16-miles in the end. because of the forecast, we had the trail to ourselves most of the almost 3 hours were were running (yes tico, i'm a slow MF).

what a great trail! i would recommend it to anyone as convenient to get to by public transportation, great as a oneway trip (it begins/ends up at the croton reservoir near ossining and never strays far from metro north's hudson line). i plan on going back to do the northern section for my 20-miler.

also, there's a great award-winning map produced by the Friends of the OCA. it's available at Posman Books in Grand Central and at the Urban Bookstore in the Villard House for $5 (where the AIA and Municipal Arts Society are housed on 51st and Madison Ave in NYC). Here are some links:

http://www.adk-nyc.org/Trails/LowerHudson/Intro.htm

http://www.aqueduct.org/index.html

post run was spent stretching in the Hudson River Museum's parking lot before a quick tour of the Hudson River Museum's Glenwood Mansion (nice landscape paintings!! admission - $5) and then a yummy breakfast at the Main Street Diner in Hastings!

A great morning.

#14907 - 05/11/05 01:08 PM Re: Old Croton Aqueduct Trail.... [Re: JoeKayak]
fallenglass Offline
enthusiast

Loc: cornwall
other attractions along that stretch of aqueduct are sunnyside in irvington and lyndhurst in tarrytown -- nice run j.k.!

#14908 - 06/01/05 01:17 AM Re: Old Croton Aqueduct Trail.... [Re: fallenglass]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
My wife spent the better part of a few weeks tracing the whole trail and when she had it dialed, I joined her and we rode the whole thing. It officially starts at the aqueduct off of the East River Drive and goes over that unused bridge. From there we picked our way through the bronx to find the turrets until we got to Van Cortland Park I think and then through various neighborhoods. My favorite part was going through people's back yards in Ossining on MTB's, and then onto the rail trail proper. The history of it is very interesting, the engineer who designed it rode it on a boat to its end. After the aqueduct it ended up in what is now Bryant Park. In a few years, it was too small to accomodate NYC and they started building the big ones.

A good ride is to start in the city and ride up to the end, and then hop on the train in Croton. There is a swimming hole you can stop by in the summer. The other rail trail is good too, and getting longer.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored