Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#15677 - 07/19/05 08:37 PM Re: (Tour de France) Climbing Categories... [Re: crackers]
edk Offline
addict

Loc: allentown, NJ
Well then back to it!

I'll be doing Mt Washington for the second time this year. Are there any other Gunkies heading up there for the hill climb this year?

I used to say I'd take a hard ride of hills (but short milage) over a long milage day any time. My thinking was that they both give different kinds of pain, but the long milage inflicts its pain a lot longer.

Then I climbed Mt. Washington -- witihout a doubt the hardest thing I have ever done on a bicycle. At one point the blood pounding in my ears was so load I couldnt hear, and I was sweating my ass off in 40F with 50mph wind and rain / fog. I finished in 1:30 and nearly cried when they threw the medal around my neck and a blanket over me.

It's the climb that made me realize just how good cyclists like Armstrong and Basso really are.

#15678 - 07/20/05 11:21 AM Re: (Tour de France) Climbing Categories... [Re: edk]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

i'd need to add some fiber to my diet before attempting mt washington...some carbon fiber. and i don't think i'm man enough to race that baby. but i am riding up mt evans in colorado, a 14er, this august and am quite excited about that (and it will either be on my fancy lightweight mountain bike if i bring it, or an aluminum/carbon rental). looks like my mt evans ride will be a few days after mt washington...there's a race up evan too (to which Tom Danielson holds the record): http://www.bicyclerace.com/index.htm. i expect to take many hours to do this HC (?) climb...

good luck on mt washington!!!

#15679 - 07/20/05 12:56 PM Re: (Tour de France) Climbing Categories... [Re: JoeKayak]
edk Offline
addict

Whew! good luck with the climb! the link didn't work though.

Yeah Danielson won last year . I saw him go out with the lead grou pand they were stupid fast. I dont recall if he broke Hamiltons record but it is his home turf. MW may be the mother of the hill climbs here on the east coast, but man there are some climb in the MWV that make you sweat blood and cry.

I'll be using my trusty old steel road bike with my MTB crank set (gets me a better than 1:1 gear ratio), but it is slighty heavier than I would like.

#15680 - 07/20/05 02:16 PM Re: (Tour de France) Climbing Categories... [Re: edk]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I finished in 1:30 and nearly cried when they threw the medal around my neck and a blanket over me.

They give the cyclists a blanket? When you run up it they don't (or didn't on the couple of times I participated) - they just let you shiver your ass off.

Interesting (but I guess it makes sense given that you're dragging however many pounds of hardware up with you) that it seems as if the bike times are not much faster than the running times. The best ever run time was 56:41 and looking at past results for the bike race it looks as if the winning times are in the 50's also.

#15681 - 07/20/05 03:15 PM Re: (Tour de France) Climbing Categories... [Re: GeeVee]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

sorry..try this link: http://www.bicyclerace.com/

also, i can see how the foot and bike races are similar. i had like times for my hill run and biking the same the day before. i found running easier (really strange for me)...

#15682 - 07/20/05 04:03 PM Re: (Tour de France) Climbing Categories... [Re: GeeVee]
edk Offline
addict

Quote:

I finished in 1:30 and nearly cried when they threw the medal around my neck and a blanket over me.

They give the cyclists a blanket? When you run up it they don't (or didn't on the couple of times I participated) - they just let you shiver your ass off.

Interesting (but I guess it makes sense given that you're dragging however many pounds of hardware up with you) that it seems as if the bike times are not much faster than the running times. The best ever run time was 56:41 and looking at past results for the bike race it looks as if the winning times are in the 50's also.

Last year the runners best was better than the best bike time. It seems to happen with some regularity that the runners times are better than the best bikers times. .....I certainly could have walked faster at some points!

#15683 - 07/20/05 06:15 PM Re: (Tour de France) Climbing Categories... [Re: JoeKayak]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
Mt. Evans is a great ride. Just make sure to bring something warm to wear. I started the ride on a nice sunny 80 degree day in August. By the time I got to the top, I was in a thundersnowstorm with temperatures in the mid 20s.

#15684 - 07/20/05 08:39 PM Re: (Tour de France) Climbing Categories... [Re: hartmann]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Quote:

Mt. Evans is a great ride. Just make sure to bring something warm to wear. I started the ride on a nice sunny 80 degree day in August. By the time I got to the top, I was in a thundersnowstorm with temperatures in the mid 20s.

wow. thanks for the tip. i plan on bringing my winter riding hat & gloves, wind jacket and maybe some tights for the way down (or the way up if need be)...should be a whole lotta fun....in a painful sort of way.

#15685 - 07/21/05 03:01 PM Re: (Tour de France) Climbing Categories... [Re: JoeKayak]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
And don't forget hydration! I did it the year the guy broke his seat off and rode almost the whole thing with a broken seat post sticking up...

If you've got a poly raincoat, and a thermal that scrunches, bring them.

#15686 - 07/22/05 02:19 PM Re: (Tour de France) Climbing Categories... [Re: edk]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
You people are all quite clearly off your rockers!!!!!!

Hats off to you gentlemen - wish I had the conditioning and motivation to even consider something like cycling MW!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored