Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Frank Florence), 5 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#15910 - 07/27/05 06:14 PM Tour de Gunks
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
Did a circuit of the Gunks over the weekend on the mountain bike. I have an old Bridgestone which I put slicks on and pumped them up. Phlan and I were supposed to meet up but I slept in...hopefully he'll report in separately. I rode out to Awosting and did a lap there - the weather was perfect and the views were amazing, then back via Castle Point Carriageway. I brought my swim trunks, but it wasn't super hot at the time so I waited until later in the day. Then I rode from the West Trapps lot out the undercliff trail, along Oakwood to Kleine Kill to the Mohonk Mountain House road. There were a few logs down on the way, which I walked over, so there obviously weren't too many people doing this loop. I rode towards the Mountain House for a while and then rode back out the one way loop to Spring Farm Road, which was kind of tricky to find. It runs across the Catskill side of the golf course and then down the hill. Instead of going all the way down the hill, I took the Bonticou Rd back and got lost a few times. I ended up going up Guyout Hill, which looked like no one ever goes up there. Perched atop several knolls, however, were strategically placed picnic benches, which would make for a good stop if you were so inclined. I found the way back down to Bonticou Rd again and then back through the golf course (although it says it is in theory closed from April through November). I then rode up towards the Mountain House and back to the carriage paths I had taken out. I rode back on Undercliff again to see one of the biggest crowds of the year by the Uberfall and rode to the Coxing Kill (good choice by the way since the parking lot was sold out). The water felt great.

A Weissenheimer Ale and one of Phlan's vintage German Schnapps (more like high test gasoline really) and the Mexacali Blue Salmon Burrito tasted great!

My next goal is to do the 100+ miler from New Paltz up Platte Cove and back. Any takers? Food stops guaranteed!

#15911 - 07/28/05 05:40 PM Re: Tour de Gunks [Re: Fraser]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
well we waited a bit but still missed Fraser- by 5 minutes!!

during the day new friendships were made and old ones renewed. toured the Gertrudes area and awesome views of the mighty Palmaghatt. hanging out on Awosting Beach. great biking and fun was had by all.

there's more of that Schnapps (actually, it's "korn") available for next time

#15912 - 07/28/05 08:29 PM Re: Tour de Gunks [Re: phlan]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

Damn! I missed out!!!

I'll do the 100 miler for sure (though I'm not totally in bike shape, I am in marathon shape and have that flat century under my belt...).

I'm free the weekend of Aug 6-7 and will probably have a car to get up there (if not, I have a bike bag for the bus).

Any riders up for something? Or Fraser's 100 miler of parts thereof?

C'mon!!!!

#15913 - 07/29/05 01:10 PM Re: Tour de Gunks [Re: JoeKayak]
Timbo Offline
addict

Loc: Delaware
Quote:

Damn! I missed out!!!

For those who missed it (i.e. everyone but phlan and myself ), I'm doing a repeat performance this weekend. The ride was so much fun I figured I'd do it again.

Send me a PM if you want to join.

Tim

#15914 - 07/30/05 12:34 AM Re: Tour de Gunks [Re: Timbo]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
hey- next weekend when JoeKayak has free I think I'd be up for something again- this weekend it's a climbing weekend ... let's plan another informal ride, hope a few more folks can show up.

BTW last Sunday I did a ride from our area up to the Ashokan and around and back via 44/55 over the mountain. turned out I wasn't in great shape for the hills- I haven't been getting quite enough mileage in for 50+ mile very hilly rides at any kind of brisk pace. however, it was great fun with a great crew - these guys do some serious road rides out of the Rosendale bike shop every Sunday morning. Hope to do it again real soon dudes!

#15915 - 08/02/05 09:33 PM Re: Tour de Gunks [Re: phlan]
Kevin Offline
enthusiast

Hi all... Those of you looking for some fun rides, if you have not used this website yet, take a look at it. It includes maps and cue sheets...

Bike Hudson Valley by Ken Roberts and Sharon Marsh Roberts

Here is a nice NP to Ashokan ride...
New Paltz to Ashokan Reservoir

#15916 - 08/03/05 03:15 PM Re: Tour de Gunks [Re: Kevin]
edk Offline
addict

Loc: allentown, NJ
Quote:

Hi all... Those of you looking for some fun rides, if you have not used this website yet, take a look at it. It includes maps and cue sheets...

Bike Hudson Valley by Ken Roberts and Sharon Marsh Roberts

Here is a nice NP to Ashokan ride...
New Paltz to Ashokan Reservoir

great links! not being local this is what I've been looking for.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored