Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (slevin), 4 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#14 - 12/26/99 08:15 PM Sleeping Giant
Anonymous
Unregistered

In searching through some archive stuff, we found an old trad route on the chin of Sleeping Giant in Hamden, CT. The info I have is that the route is called Weizner's Rib and the rating is 5.6. You can climb it in one or two pitches, although to eliminate rope drag I'd suggest two. Worth a look especially in the winter, if we manage to get a mild day or two. There are also several decent moderates up on the cliff behind the castle. If you want more info, I'll post the beta...

#15 - 12/28/99 05:53 PM Re: Sleeping Giant
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
Hi,
I checked that out once. I never made it to the base of the climb because there was so much poison oak and ivy. Looks like there could be some good climbs there.
Paul

remove NOSPAM to email me

#16 - 12/28/99 08:34 PM Re: Sleeping Giant
Layback Offline
old hand

Loc: Monroe, WA
Please provide any info that you may have. There is very litle info onthe area. Sleeping Giant used to be the main climning area in CT before a major accident ocurred there and the park was closed. It has since reopened but there is very little activity. it's a shame because there are a few very good routes that Weissner put up there. I think that a few old pitons still remain. What little info I have, was obatined from the following web site. It's a good source. Check it out!
-Joe

http://members.theglobe.com/thesouthface/

#17 - 12/28/99 10:28 PM Re: Sleeping Giant [Re: Layback]
John Peterson Offline

Loc: Gunnision, CO
There are a ton of routes at the Sleeping Giant but the main ones are on the topo at
http://members.theglobe.com/thesouthface/. The other main climbing areas there are up by the castle (a neat little free-standing spire) and near the right knee but there's nothing higher that 30 feet or so anywhere except the chin. I've quite climbing the chin area because the poison ivy is so bad but the routes are quite good. The bolted route just left of Weissners Rib is very nice.

There are some nice topos of the sleeping giant that have been developed for a (potential) new guidebook. I'll see if I can get these posted on the raggedmtn.org website.

John

#18 - 12/29/99 04:03 AM Re: Sleeping Giant [Re: Layback]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great web address Joe thanks. More to follow.

#19 - 12/29/99 03:42 PM Re: Sleeping Giant
Anonymous
Unregistered

On a cold day, try going up to the castle to hit some of the moderates in the Tower area, you'll have fun, and it's just around the corner! Just past the castle, there is a desent gully that leads you to the pinacle. Go past the pinacle on the left, and continue to the open face. (This is called "Target Zone", a loose 5.5) Facing the cliff look left, and you will see a zig zig jam crack near the top. This is called "Red Gauntlet" 5.7+ maybe 5.8. To the right of Target Zone, just around the corner, is an open book topped by a ceiling. This is called "Rusty Pins" 5.8?, although I haven't seen a rusty pin anywhere! Look around and you'll see several other easier moderates, including a nice arete. Be careful with your pro, and watch for loose stuff. We've had a lot of fun climbing here during the cold months... less ivy, and crowds. Please post if you find any other good ones; I'll keep looking... maybe see you there.

#20 - 12/29/99 07:26 PM Re: Sleeping Giant [Re: Layback]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know the are at all, but a good place to look for info and pics is Yankee Rock and Ice by Laura and Guy Waterman. Weisner was putting up 5.8's there in the 40's.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored