Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#16025 - 08/15/05 10:07 PM mtn bikers wanted for CO adventure
alwechs Offline
stranger

Hi. I'm looking to get a group together to ride the San Juan hut system from Telluride to Moab next June or thereabouts. The route involves a 7-day mtn bike ride, with six nights in a hut pre-supplied with food, sleeping bags and other equipment. Riders will need a good and reliable mtn bike loaded with back panniers to carry clothes and rain gear plus tools and other stuff. The route appears to be one of the greatest rides in the country --- almost entirely on jeep trails, double- and single-track through the mtns and eastern canyonlands.

This is a self-sufficient group tour (no guide). Each rider pays around $525 or so and gets access to all the huts plus detailed directions. The huts are resupplied every two days to ensure enough food for everyone. My plan is to fly out to Denver, rent a minivan for the bikes, drive to Telluride, do the ride, then rent another minivan to drive back to Denver. Total time would be around 10-12 days. I'm looking to form a group of four to 8 riders -- mature, experienced, reliable and, most importantly, FUN! Bicycle repair knowledge is, of course, a definite plus.

The cost, other than the fee for the ride, would be whatever plane fare is to Denver plus vehicle rental costs, meals at the start and finish and odds and ends. I'm hoping to recruit people this fall as reservations are needed and the schedule fills up fast.

Anybody interested write me at alwechs@juno.com. You can check out the ride info at http://www.sanjuanhuts.com/

See you on the trails,

Alan Wechsler
Albany

#16026 - 08/23/05 09:47 PM Re: mtn bikers wanted for CO adventure [Re: alwechs]
alwechs Offline
stranger

Just checked the website. It looks like the price is actually $425, not $525.

AW

#16027 - 09/20/05 07:05 PM Re: mtn bikers wanted for CO adventure [Re: alwechs]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"almost entirely on jeep trails, double- and single-track through the mtns and eastern canyonlands."

Great location. My husband just did 2 weeks hiking and peak bagging. The trails are axle busters for cars, beware. The rode from Engineers Pass to Ouray is CRAZY he says. You should have a blast. Don't miss Thoreau's Cabin.

#16028 - 11/09/05 10:53 PM Re: mtn bikers wanted for CO adventure [Re: alicex4]
Cascade Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
We did this a few years back - but for much cheaper. If you have a car or van one person drives to the next campsite. The drag is one person a day is missing out on some great riding but on the plus side you camp on fed and state land for free and you can bring a half keg from a Seattle brew put (on ice) as we did.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored