Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#16033 - 08/17/05 01:32 AM Whiteface Mtn. Biking
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz
Anyone done this? I heard that it was pretty fun. I am not an avid biker, but am always up for a challenge. Sounds pretty cool- biking with no uphills- what more could I want!?

#16034 - 08/17/05 04:31 PM Re: Whiteface Mtn. Biking [Re: TimTheClimber]
RAF Offline
site supporter

Loc: Colorado (!)
Did this at Mammoth Mtn, California, on a "day off" from climbing. You take the gondola up the mountain and let gravity do most of the work to bring you down.

Notes:
1) Gravity doesn't do ALL the work. You have to steer hard corners, deal with drop-offs, navigate through narrow sections, and try to stay upright.
2) Wear a helmet that protects your face as well as the top of your head.
3) Be realistic about what difficulty of trail you pick for your descent.

On Mammoth, I over-estimated either my skill or my courage. I walked several obstacles, feeling like a complete slug, while teenagers flew by like kamikazes. I crashed twice, once spectacularly: I was tearing through the trees at about 30 mph (?-- it seemed about that fast! I truly was tearing) when my front tire hit a patch of deep volcanic ash; the rear tire kept going, hurling me over the handlebars. I creased a few trees and landed like a sack of bricks. Well, I don't actually remember landing, only that geting up hurt a lot, and I was bleeding from 'way more places than the previous week of climbing rocks and mountains had caused. OK, I admit it, it was tons of fun. When I got down, I went up again. Most of the blood had dried.

4) Get a rental bike for this kind of work; it's a lot of wear and tear.
5) It tends not to be cheap (lots more than a Preserve day pass), but it's worth it (like a Preserve day pass).

#16035 - 08/18/05 06:10 PM Re: Whiteface Mtn. Biking [Re: TimTheClimber]
KAYLA Offline
addict

Loc: new city, ny
Save your gas and go to Hunter Mtn. Same type of deal. Ride the lift up , scream on down

#16036 - 09/01/05 10:13 PM Re: Whiteface Mtn. Biking [Re: TimTheClimber]
fotovult Online   content

Loc: ny
Whiteface is great - the runs are 2x as long as anything in the catskills (platty, hunter) or Mtn. Creek in Jersey that offer lift access. Trails are not as numerous as these other mountains, but they are pretty tech. As a beginner the face is probably better suited to you, as it is fairly walkable and really no suprises on the trails that aren't well marked.

The guy that runs the place is named Mike - he is pretty chill. I'll be riding up there for Octoberfest, first weekend in Oct if you are interested I can give you lowdown in person, otherwise be sure to avoid trail 27 (overgrown and not really for beginner) - stick to 25 or 26 from the top, and be sure to check out 6,7 on the side of the mountain - ask Mike he will get you a map.

They rent OK bikes there, and all full armor as well.

Good riding.

ftv

#16037 - 09/02/05 01:31 PM Re: Whiteface Mtn. Biking [Re: fotovult]
edk Offline
addict

Loc: allentown, NJ
Quote:

Whiteface is great - the runs are 2x as long as anything in the catskills (platty, hunter) or Mtn. Creek in Jersey that offer lift access. Trails are not as numerous as these other mountains, but they are pretty tech. As a beginner the face is probably better suited to you, as it is fairly walkable and really no suprises on the trails that aren't well marked.

The guy that runs the place is named Mike - he is pretty chill. I'll be riding up there for Octoberfest, first weekend in Oct if you are interested I can give you lowdown in person, otherwise be sure to avoid trail 27 (overgrown and not really for beginner) - stick to 25 or 26 from the top, and be sure to check out 6,7 on the side of the mountain - ask Mike he will get you a map.

They rent OK bikes there, and all full armor as well.

Good riding.

ftv

How is the X country stuff? any decent ways UP the mountain (sounds screwy, but you can piss off a few folks by riding UP the DOWN way as they move VERY fast)

#16038 - 09/02/05 01:41 PM Re: Whiteface Mtn. Biking [Re: edk]
fotovult Online   content

Loc: ny
XC is pretty good, I think they still run a halfway transfer (bus to midstation) where you can pick up most of the XC stuff. Not too crazy technical, very fun - one section abuts the Ausable River - nice trails good and mellow.

As for riding up, you can make it to the start of the XC stuff, I've done it before, but I wouldn't attempt to summit unless you take up the access roads - you can do this, but it gets pretty steep towards the top.

High Peaks Cycling for more info...

ftv

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored