Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Rickster), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#16081 - 08/25/05 02:50 PM Testing EPO...
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
As the world turns over on whether or not Lance Armstrong did EPO during the 1999 Tour De France, I thought that this article interviewing the head of Canada's testing lab interesting.

Basically, she states that "EPO - in its natural state or the synthesized version - is not stable in urine, even if stored at minus 20 degrees." and that her lab -- which assists in developing the world standard for these tests -- can't test for EPO in a sample after two to three months because the proteins degrade quickly.

So, while I remain convinced that cyclists use performancing enhancing drugs just like every other professional athelete in the world, I find this kinda ridiculous.

#16082 - 08/25/05 05:55 PM Re: Testing EPO... [Re: crackers]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
yea, but whose to say they didn't store the samples at -80. thats where we keep all our proteins until we run them.

i am not saying that i agree with the results or what not, but assuming proper storage proteins can last a long while.

#16083 - 08/25/05 06:06 PM Re: Testing EPO... [Re: CrackBoy]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
In urine? Does it matter?

#16084 - 08/25/05 07:18 PM Re: Testing EPO... [Re: crackers]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
haven't worked with urine so i am just assuming, but I don't see a problem with the urine affecting the proteins to that much of a degree or its freezability. If anything it might affect the urgency of use after thaw, but that wouldn't be too much of an issue

#16085 - 08/25/05 10:15 PM Re: Testing EPO... [Re: CrackBoy]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
urine is mainly a salt solution. Crackboy is right, at -80F, even proteins present in only trace amounts, such as synthetic protein drugs, should have a long life in storage.

OTOH, there might be something about EPO that makes it inherently unstable in urine, I realy don't know enough to make definate statements on that issue........

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored