Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (webmaster), 9 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#16103 - 09/01/05 02:06 AM Running w/ Kids
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
My children are 3 and 5. They seem to tollerate my running with them well.
Sometimes I would almost think they enjoy it.

Tonight was cut short though. 2 miles out, it starts raining. And I mean RAINING. Just ripping down. And we are on a rails-to-trails type trail, far from any kind of shelter but for some trees. No help.
I picked up the pace back to the car. They were falling for the "what an adventure" talk I was spewing for the first mile but then my daughter starts crying. "It's hurting me" she's saying.
I took my shirt and covered them, and with the stroller hood up, they were feeling safe, though still soaking to the bone.

The thing that I noticed tonight though had nothing to do with the rain.
My tires are old and leak slowly. I have to re-inflate them every few weeks.
The last time I put air in them, I noticed that pushing seemed more difficult. My first thoughts were bad alignment, bearings needing lub, my lack of endurance.
The next time out was better, and I didnt notice anything at all for a few weeks.

Then tonight, we were just heading out. Stretching, I looked down at the tires and noticed they were a bit low. We ran anyway, but the going was easy.
Then it dawns on me, the rolling resistence is less with low pressure. The tires roll right through gravel, sticks and bumps.
With the tires full, and at high pressure from the last inflation, they roll OVER debris.
I just never thought of it that way.

#16104 - 09/20/05 11:57 PM Re: Running w/ Kids [Re: Chooch]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
Until I got to the word stroller I thought you were making your 3 and 5 year old children actually RUN with you! When I saw "2 miles out" I just about flipped out and thought about calling CPS.

But anyway, my bike is always way easier to ride on fully inflated tires... Strange.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored