Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16105 - 09/02/05 01:54 PM Bike Commuters !
edk Offline
addict

Loc: allentown, NJ
edit: I just re-read and I don't mean to come off as holier than thou, I'm just talking here.

Having shelped my sorry as into work by bike for just about three years now I finally have people around me paying attention!

I'm like the most popular guy on the elevator, and on my way in and out - the questions are fast and furious. I can't make it out of the building without a person or ten stopping me to ask a question or three.

It's cool and all, but I always feel like people are just seeing me doing it for the first time. It's become something that is integrated into my life. When people hear what it is they generally come up with a millon excuses why they cant do it. Sometimes I feel like they arent asking the questions to find out HOW they can do it, but to find the excuse for why they CANT do it....

- I live to far away : drive a part way to work to cut the distance down and bring your bike, alternate car and bike directions
- I dont have a shower at work : BFD, bring handi wipes and don't ride hard
- I have to dress up : so do I, I bring my dry cleaning to work on myu off days and leave it there
- I have no place to change : so don't, or use the handicap stall
- Bike are costly : and cars arent? anyway my main ride to work is a $350 single speed, I just found a PERFECT old MTB for $80 in someones yard - two tanks in my SUV will get you a sweet ride
- I'm to otta shape : do it, you wont be for long
- the route to work is to risky, dangerous with cars : you dont take the car route to work, you find a bike one. I'd be dead if I rode the same way I drive to work

I ride 17 mile each way - I dont do it every day, but I do it most days 3 - 4 days per week
my daily commute time varies from 45 mintues each way to almost 1:30 if the weather is real bad like snow or heavy rain.
The prep time before each ride and clean up after adds another hour each day.
Somedays it is a slog, somedays it hurts, lots of days I enjoy it.
Its my excercise, stress relief, enviro freindly act, and commute time all rolled into one so I think it actually saves me time!

My point is it ain't as easy as getting into a car turing on the tunes and switching off for a drive, but it is worth it, and now it is WORTH it !!

Riding your bike to work is like the crux of a hard climb - commiting to it is often the hardest part.

#16106 - 09/02/05 02:07 PM Re: Bike Commuters ! [Re: edk]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
You forgot mention another plus - no need to worry about being caught for DUI if you go out for drinkies after work!
Not that biking while under the influence is recommended either, speaking from experience.
Kudos to you Edk and all other bike commuters out there - I would like to hear from more of you on your experiences
I am not a bike commuter myself - I do my riding before I head into work on public transport. I have on occasion made the trip from home in the Bronx to work in Manhattan but do not fancy it for a number of the excuses/justifications Ed gave! Traffic and the time involved to do the distance being the main ones. But I will re-examine that.

I do not own a car but I certainly feel for those who absolutely need one to commute to work, given the cost of gas in particular. Time to get the old bikes out of the garage and consider the bike commute, maybe?

#16107 - 09/02/05 04:45 PM Re: Bike Commuters ! [Re: edk]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Ed,

Amen!

I'm lucky enough to live close to where I work, so a bike ride is a no-brainer. I'm considering putting together a beater bike for local errands, grocery store, rock gym trips, too. My car gets 30 on the highway, but less than 25 in town. And like you said ... basically, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

PS - congrats on the hillclimb! Any stories?

#16108 - 09/02/05 07:02 PM Re: Bike Commuters ! [Re: Julie]
edk Offline
addict

Quote:

PS - congrats on the hillclimb! Any stories?

Well I imporved my time by 10 minutes over last year. I felt very strong the whole way and only used my bail gear for maybe 1 or 2 mile total (on the 16% and 18% sections)

The weather was pretty good in the AM, clouds, but no rain, and teh cloud cover at the base was broken so even some sun. The temps were in teh mid 60's and humid so that it felt even a touch warmer -- last year it was raining at the start and cold and foggy, so everyone was crowded under the big top, this year lots of people warmed up on the road or on trainers by their cras so it was pretty casual.

I lined up near the front of my group which is second to go off after the top notch group. So I crossed the line30 seconds after the cannon went of.

It is such a shock to the system that first 12% bit and this year I managed to keep my heart rate reasonalbe for the opening few miles.

The sucky part was around 4,000 ft. the clouds covered up, and the rain started - it was actually refreshing becuase I was dying of the heat! I only had on shorts, a jersey and arm warmers, but I was sweating my ass off.

By mile 5 the wind was howling, right past the dirt road section we made a switchback 90 degress and it was like a comedy scene, every 2nd biker was being thrown to the ground from the wind or riding off the road. The grade is so steep there that you hardly have contact with the front wheel so you cant really steer. What was a 40 MPH headwind turned into a cross wind and owned the field right there.

The fog was thick at the end and I could not see the spectators OR the finish until I was within 10 feet or so. that last little bit is hurtfull !!!

1:29 Next year I make the top notch with a time better than 1:20 ! Tylor Hamilton won, and Ned Overend was right up there too. I feel like aerobically I finsihed with almost nothing left, but my legs still had some juice... Its hard to know how far to push yourself without blowing up.

Great race!
http://www.tinmtn.org/hillclimb/index.cfm

The start:
[image]http://www.philbrickphoto.com/picts/HillClimb.jpg[/image]

Me slogging up the thing:

[image]http://www.collages.net/store/emailedphoto2.asp?uniqueproduct=10940230[/image]

#16109 - 09/08/05 12:04 PM Re: Bike Commuters ! [Re: edk]
fallenglass Offline
enthusiast

Loc: cornwall
well you guys have inspired me -- this morning i rode my bike half-way to work. since i am a total spaz on a bike this is a major victory for me. i think i said in a previous thread that i'd rather run up a hill with a bike on my back than actually turn the petals -- well i did find my self running it up a few hills. i'm certain i'd crash if i fiddled with those gear thingys.

anyway, i think i saved $1.80 in gas this morning -- i'm going to spend it in starbucks, be right back ...

#16110 - 09/08/05 12:59 PM Re: Bike Commuters ! [Re: fallenglass]
edk Offline
addict

Quote:

well you guys have inspired me -- this morning i rode my bike half-way to work. since i am a total spaz on a bike this is a major victory for me. i think i said in a previous thread that i'd rather run up a hill with a bike on my back than actually turn the petals -- well i did find my self running it up a few hills. i'm certain i'd crash if i fiddled with those gear thingys.

anyway, i think i saved $1.80 in gas this morning -- i'm going to spend it in starbucks, be right back ...

I hope it was the LAST half ! anyway congrat, nice job!

#16111 - 09/08/05 01:00 PM Re: Bike Commuters ! [Re: fallenglass]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I brought my clothes into work today so I can change into them tomorrow when I bike here!

I rode my route last night just to get a time estimate!

#16112 - 09/08/05 04:02 PM Re: Bike Commuters ! [Re: strat]
edk Offline
addict

Quote:

I brought my clothes into work today so I can change into them tomorrow when I bike here!

How long was it? I think my favorite thing about riding in is I splurge a little from time to time and eat what I want for breakfast. I usually dont eat before I ride in so that by the time I get in I am starving and ready to eat! Does NS have a caf.?

#16113 - 09/09/05 01:02 PM Re: Bike Commuters ! [Re: edk]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Quote:

How long was it? I think my favorite thing about riding in is I splurge a little from time to time and eat what I want for breakfast. I usually dont eat before I ride in so that by the time I get in I am starving and ready to eat! Does NS have a caf.?

It takes 25-30 minutes. I did the real thing this morning and it took 28 minutes. It's an easy ride with three short hills. I had to carry my backpack because I forgot to leave my laptop and assorted other work items at work last night.

My office is in a laboratory hallway. And, as such, I'm supposed to dress according to some protocols. My next door neighbor is a safety-freek. He was bursting at the seams when he saw me walk in, in shorts this morning. I'm sure I've been written up by now.

#16114 - 09/09/05 03:32 PM Re: Bike Commuters ! [Re: strat]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
My office is in a laboratory hallway. And, as such, I'm supposed to dress according to some protocols.

Are you a suit & tie chemist or a white labcoat chemist? I'd think the latter would be easier as a bicycle commuter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored