Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#16121 - 09/06/05 12:23 PM Willoughby
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
I just spent a couple of days looking at that monster from the northwest side of the lake, but didn't get a chance to do any closer perusing. I know it's the beast for ice, but what are the rock routes like?

#16122 - 09/06/05 04:00 PM Re: Willoughby [Re: yorick]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Wet?

(just a guess)

#16123 - 09/06/05 05:20 PM Re: Willoughby [Re: yorick]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
That's funny. I was just there this weekend as well. Probably just missed bumping into you. We did the Mt. Pisgah hike on the Eastern side of the lake. I thought I spotted a pair of bolts thru my binocs on a southeastern facing wall. Looked suitable for one good route.

-em

#16124 - 09/06/05 06:35 PM Re: Willoughby [Re: yorick]
tradjunkie Offline
enthusiast

Well, rc has the following beta, and has recorded a 9 and a 10b.
...some good rock there. It is quite undeveloped, and potential exists for more lines, provided you want to spend the time cleaning them! The cliffs are fractured granite... worth a visit only if you are in the area.

#16125 - 09/06/05 06:52 PM Re: Willoughby [Re: tradjunkie]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Did someone say Ice? Oh waitÂ…

I know there was some talk (from the owners of the land VT DEC? ) of Ice climbing being tolerated and allowed since it does not damage the natural environment, but that rock climbing access was suspect. At least thats what I heard, your results may vary.

Pretty much guarantee if it was to be a mecca for rock climbing, that it would have not gone unnoticed, but as for the person that values adventure over *** chalked upped routes, it may provide a wealth of opportunity. (Which is surprisingly abundant in the NE)

#16126 - 09/06/05 07:59 PM Re: Willoughby [Re: yorick]
scottie_c Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NY
while it is probably the best ice climbing venue in the lower 48, rock climbing there is illegal. however, across the lake is fair game last I heard...
good luck getting beta, the locals are pretty stingy giving it out. Ed Webster put up a route there and can probably be found on-line or ask at NEClimbs.com (think its 5.11 and called the Great Dihedral or Book); I know there are a few others.

recent donations and workings with the local authorities and park people have allowed for rescue litters to be installed at a few locations at the base of the cliff.

hope this answers some of peoples' questions

#16127 - 09/06/05 08:11 PM Re: Willoughby [Re: Smike]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
That is funny, Evan. We were all water oriented: fly fishing, boating and swimming.

I've never heard a peep about the rock there, and I'm guessing it's because the Daks and New Hampshire are bigger draws. But I'm betting some sly hard-men have been in there for decades keepin it quiet, having the place to themsleves. That thing sees a lot of sun right up until dark comes down.

Someone mentioned a rock closure due to rare plant species.

#16128 - 09/25/05 09:34 PM Re: Willoughby [Re: yorick]
Beth Offline
stranger

I don't climb ice but was in that part of VT last year and saw some Ice Hounds. You dudes are nuts
Rock On!
Beth

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored