Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#16390 - 09/21/05 03:24 PM Peroneal Tendonitis...
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan
So once again I have a medical problem from running and once again I come to seek the best advice (and ridicule) I can get anywhere: a climbing web site.

I've been diagnosed with Peroneal Tendonitis in my right ankle. My ankle (around that big bulgy bone on the outside of the leg) has been swollen for more than one week. My doctor (take note Evan!!) told me I can continue running and then asked how the last batch of NSAIDs worked for me. Upon telling him how f^cked up my stomach was for a week, he said to forget about it and just do R.I.C.E. and take OTC anelgesics...

Has anyone ever had this? How long does it take to go away? Did you stop running on it? Or did you modify your running (less mileage, no pavement, whatever)?

Thanks for any tips.

#16391 - 09/21/05 08:28 PM Re: Peroneal Tendonitis... [Re: JoeKayak]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
then asked how the last batch of NSAIDs worked for me. Upon telling him how f^cked up my stomach was for a week, he said to forget about it and just do R.I.C.E. and take OTC anelgesics...

Umm, what NSAIDs were you taking? And what dose?

And what OTC analgesics is he recommeding that are not NSAIDs? Tylenol/Acetaminophen?

Sorry, one more question. He said to continue running but to treat with RICE? That R stands for Rest.

#16392 - 09/21/05 08:57 PM Re: Peroneal Tendonitis... [Re: intrepid02]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

i think the nsaid was dulfenac or something--i can't recall exactly and i don't know the dose.

he said to take aleve or motrin.

his idea of rest is for me to not do my long runs, but keep it to 3-4 milers, slow and only without pain. so rest is really relative.

#16393 - 09/21/05 09:45 PM Re: Peroneal Tendonitis... [Re: JoeKayak]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Get into new shoes and run on the other side of the road for a while.

#16394 - 09/22/05 02:16 PM Re: Peroneal Tendonitis... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Quote:

Get into new shoes and run on the other side of the road for a while.

that sounds so ridiculously simple. i'll give it a try. thanks.

#16395 - 09/24/05 12:17 AM Re: Peroneal Tendonitis... [Re: JoeKayak]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
Just be careful with the Aleve and Motrin too. They are both pretty likely to cause stomach problems. You should stop taking them if you get stomach pain.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored