Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#16502 - 09/30/05 07:19 PM Trek 2200...
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

I had a moment in the bike shop last week:

I saw a Trek 2200 with:
Carbon Ford, Seat and Chain Stays
Full Ultegra 9-speed
Bontrager racer wheel set.
$1600.

So bitter my bonus is a month late this year. I think that's my dream bike (except that it was red).

Raise your hand if you've ever done a half iron man. Which one? (place/time of year/your thoughts)...

jk

#16503 - 10/01/05 12:32 AM Re: Trek 2200... [Re: JoeKayak]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

Raise your hand if you've ever done a half iron man. Which one? (place/time of year/your thoughts)...

jk

Tupper Lake (NY) Tinman, mid-July 1989. 4hr53min and change. I picked a northern race venue to escape So. NY humidity and was rewarded with a nice dry day. Traffic on the road is non-existent compared to So. NY/NJ so we fanned out across Rt 56 for the out and back bike leg and just flew. It was my first and only 1/2 Ironman tri and it was so nearly the race of my best dreams that I never wanted to do another one. I was more of a 2 hr race guy myself, training and interest-wise.

And I rode my bestest, RED bike.

#16504 - 10/05/05 06:21 AM Re: Trek 2200... [Re: JoeKayak]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
I did the Firmman 1/2 Ironman in Narragansett RI way back in 1999. The race is held in September. I was through T2 in 3 hours but my legs started to cramp with about 2 miles left in the bike ride. The run (mostly walk) ended up taking just under 3 hours for a total time of 5 h 58 m 42 s. It a very nice race with a flat course. You almost don't have to come out of the aerobars for the entire bike ride. The ocean swim is nice and fast compared to a lake swim if you have good weather.

#16505 - 10/07/05 01:37 AM Re: Trek 2200... [Re: JoeKayak]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
SBR/Harriman Half, back in late May. I posted a report about it here someplace. Cold swim, hilly bike, hilly run. I'm doing it again next year. Small race, right in my back yard, and I won a $50 off coupon.

Timberman, in mid-August. By far the best race of any sort I've ever been a part of. Large race (1200 finishers this year), but good, very good. They get big name Pros there too, so it's cool to be racing w/ them on the same course.
Perfect lake for a swim, great bike course, great run course, BEST volunteers I've ever seen.
It's not just a race, it's an event.

PS - Tinman is notorious for a short bike and run course, (not that there's anything wrong with that ) that's why Mikey R was so "fast" there.

PPS - JK, get the bike!!! I finally broke down and got a tri bike, it is literally in the mail at this moment, I can't wait.

#16506 - 10/07/05 02:59 PM Re: Trek 2200... [Re: MurphysLaw]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Mike-

I remember seeing your post on SBR-Harriman and looking up your very impressive time!!

on the timberman, I did see that one, but since I'm going for speed in 2006 NYC marathon, I want to get my half IM out of the way by the end of July, so I'm looking at the Musselman, the Mooseman and the Tinman: all are about 5.5 hours from NYC. But I think I'm going to do the Tinman after all (best timing for me and doesn't conflict with the NYC Olympic Tri-cf. Musselman or the Covered Bridges Half Marathon-cf.Mooseman).

But I don't know what you mean by short run course and short bike course for the Tinman. It's a half IM, so it should be the same.

Also, I may try the SBR-Harriman for fun depending on where I am in my training. Or I may volunteer to get an idea.

And I would LOVE to buy that bike....but I just can't do it until I know what my bonus is!!! And I will know hopefully within 5 weeks!

Which Tri bike did you get? And what did you ride last year at SBR/Harriman?

#16507 - 10/07/05 03:34 PM Re: Trek 2200... [Re: JoeKayak]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Joe,

It's a half IM, so it should be the same.

Should and is are 2 totally different things. Triathlons in general, of all distances, are notorious for having inaccurate distances. Usually on the short side. (However, Harriman was long on all 3.)
The Westchester Tri just a coupla weeks ago (Olympic distance), which always has had a "short" swim, outdid itself, and the swim was cut from 1.5k to just over 1k.
(not that *I* was complaining )

Mooseman is run by the same RD as Timberman, FWIW.
I've heard good things about Tinman, I'd consider it, but it's always on a weekend right around my wife'd b-day, so there's NO way I'd ever get the permission slip to go play for that one.

How about Eagleman? It's down in DE, and is FLAT as a pancake for the bike and run. The swim can be dicey (they call it the Choptank) depending on conditions, or not.

There's also the Jersey Devilman, but I don't know much about that one.

I've ridden my trusty '99 Klein Quantum Race w/ clip-on aero bars for the last 3 seasons I've done tris.
My bike splits are solid, but I haven't run to my potential off this bike, so I'm hoping a tri bike will help w/ that.
Plus the "free speed" from a more aero riding position.

I got a great deal on a closeout of an '05 Felt B2.
I should have it sometime next week.
Looks like this

#16508 - 10/11/05 01:40 PM Re: Trek 2200... [Re: MurphysLaw]
edk Offline
addict

Loc: allentown, NJ
Quote:

I got a great deal on a closeout of an '05 Felt B2.
I should have it sometime next week.
Looks like this

<drool> I have bike lust.... how good a deal?</drool>

#16509 - 10/11/05 02:04 PM Re: Trek 2200... [Re: edk]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Do they make a boys version of that bike or only the girls as shown?

#16510 - 10/11/05 02:09 PM Re: Trek 2200... [Re: d-elvis]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Why do you care? The girls version is *perfect* for you.

You can even put a nice pink and white wicker Barbie basket on the front, and a pink glitter banana seat, and some tassles, and it will look just like your current bike.

#16511 - 10/11/05 09:15 PM All Carbon or Alum/Carbon? [Re: MurphysLaw]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Now that we've all realized Mike can clip Barbie to his aerobars and spank every one of us (okay, maybe not the super-commuter edk), let's more on to more important questions:

the bikes I'm now looking at (spurred by the lust for the trek) are all a high-end aluminum with carbon fork and carbon seat stays. I've been looking at a lot of the comparable frames from companies like Giant, Specialized, Jamis, Marin and so on, and they all have shimano 105 or 105/ultegra mixes, whereas the trek had mostly ultegra.

Much of what I've read says get the best frame you can and then upgrade the components when you want/can.

But I guess I'm wondering about which might be better: the Aluminum/Carbon Stays or an all Carbon frame. The key question, as I've read, is about wear and tear and how long Aluminum lasts (being stiffer and stressing sooner) versus Carbon (having more damping ability, but also being more fragile/difficult to fix, etc). I just don't know what to get. And I have yet to test ride any of these and that may well be what makes me choose, but I know there are gunkies here who know way more about this than I do and I'd love your opinion (Murphy, Crackers, Tai, Dana...)...

Basically, I'm looking at:

Giant TCR 1
Specialized Allez Comp
Trek 2200
and, to a lesser extent (not done researching yet):
Marin Verona
Jamis Ventura Comp
Maybe the Klein Reve V
Felt 60 or 65...

you get the idea....I want something I can race in serious triathlons with, but also something I can hammer out some long mountain rides (triple would be nice) and loops in the park....NOT commuting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored