Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#16542 - 10/04/05 04:56 PM Breakneck Ridge
pda Offline
addict

Loc: Bergen County NJ
Does anyone have any information about the rock scrambling "trail" on Breakneck Ridge that is blazed with white letter A markers? Some sections are fairly burly for Class 4. I'd be interested in who set this up and if they are maintaining this.

#16543 - 10/04/05 05:02 PM Re: Breakneck Ridge [Re: pda]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
I hike Breakneck a coupla times a year. It's just about in my "backyard".

Breakneck is a 3rd class scramble, and I don't think there's any "trail mantenance" per se on the scrambling part, other than occasional repainting of the blazes, and even less frequent re-routing of a short section of the route if the erosion is worse than usual in a given area.

Unless this "A" trail is a variation I've never done there, which is possible, but unlikely.

Too bad Freddo doesn't post here anymore , he is the guru of all things trails in that general area.

#16544 - 10/04/05 05:49 PM Re: Breakneck Ridge [Re: MurphysLaw]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

My recollection of the 'A's on Breakneck is that there are alternate routes on the steeper (class 3) sections. One in particular wends to the left (North) side and then switchbacks again to the right. I recall an 'A' on it in white with an arrow. Going straight up one of the sections is a bit of a move or two, but very fun. If it were higher or if there were greater exposure (or rain-slicked), I'd be a bit too timid to do it. But in dry weather, I love to pop up that way. Topping out of that move is the huge cleave that slices down the south face and there's a nice drop-off right there.

Is this what you're talking about?

#16545 - 10/04/05 07:02 PM Re: Breakneck Ridge [Re: JoeKayak]
pda Offline
addict

Loc: Bergen County NJ
In the first steep section (before the flag), near the top there is an A-Marked variation just right of a blocky overhang near the trail (if I read the markers correctly). Looks like about 25 feet of low Class 5 material in there starting about 15 feet off the deck. Little bit sketchy for a scramble if you ask me ( I wussed out doing it in hiking boots), but looks like an interesting challenge .

#16546 - 07/10/06 10:06 AM Re: Breakneck Ridge [Re: MurphysLaw]
Lynn Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY
Hiked this trail yesterday and two of the "A" routes were sketchy but fun. The first is a section below the flag and the second is off to the left after some scrambling above the flag. There are now a couple of alternate hiking/scrambling sections that are marked <---X---> and these come in handy when the main trail becomes congested with hikers. Great trail - bring a camera.
http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450015176/1.JPG

#16547 - 07/12/06 02:20 PM Re: Breakneck Ridge [Re: Lynn]
skillet Offline
journeyman

Loc: long island,ny
wow! who's the hottie in the pic?

#16548 - 07/28/06 02:53 AM Re: Breakneck Ridge [Re: skillet]
Lynn Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY
No comment.

Moderator:  webmaster