Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16559 - 10/18/05 05:29 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

last year i was getting face shots at alta in mid october, though i had to skin up under the lifts to do it. brighton opened on halloween though, and the snow was better than it ever was the year before in colorado.

Snowbird opened last season on Nov 5th - earliest ever. This season's planned opening date is 11/19 unless we get more early snow. We've already had 12" above 10K'.

This shot was taken in Mineral Basin (the "back" side of Snowbird) on 11/14/2004 (all natural snow, btw):

Another shot later that day, looking down Little Cottonwood Canyon and into the Salt Lake valley, somewhere under the thickening clouds:

The original poster might want to read this thread on First Tracks Online for some additional info.
[Disclaimer: FTO is run by my friend and regular ski partner Marc. The aforementioned Tony Crocker also posts regularly.]

#16560 - 10/28/05 12:54 AM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: MarcC]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
this year sucks so far! nothing but a dusting on the high peaks, and i'm still climbing in a tshirt. i think i must have pissed off the backcountry snow gods by buying an alta pass, and now they are punishing me.

#16561 - 10/28/05 02:02 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
tradjunkie Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

this year sucks so far! nothing but a dusting on the high peaks, and i'm still climbing in a tshirt. i think i must have pissed off the backcountry snow gods by buying an alta pass, and now they are punishing me.

As penance you must work as a liftie for a season at Big Boulder. Only a sacrifice of a winter in the Poconos will appease the backcountry snow gods.

#16562 - 10/28/05 02:43 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: tradjunkie]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
the poconos? jesus christ, i'd rather go (GASP) ice climbing!

#16563 - 10/28/05 02:55 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

this year sucks so far! nothing but a dusting on the high peaks, and i'm still climbing in a tshirt.

Don't sweat it. Last season started abnormally early - Nov 5th was the earliest opening in history for Snowbird. In the past 3 seasons, we've had 100" by T-Day weekend.

Tentative opening dates are 11/17 for Alta and 11/19 for the Bird, conditions permitting. Earlier is possible if we get the snow. Last night the snow line went down to 7500' btw.

#16564 - 10/28/05 03:28 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: MarcC]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
yeah, i know last ear was too good to be true, but i am seriously jonesing to get out. last year i had already skiied 5-6 times by now.

#16565 - 10/28/05 05:30 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
KAYLA Offline
addict

Loc: new city, ny
WAA WAA WAA.... I hope you Rocky Mt boys are not trying to invoke my sympithy. Cause it ain't going to work.
Waa Waa i have a season pass at Alta or I live with in driving distance to all the major I70 resorts.. Life just sucks...
Now take my skiing life... I have a seasons pass at Hidden Valley in New Jersey and I ski Hunter every other weekend or so.. Now that's living
I'm so jealous

#16566 - 10/30/05 11:55 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: KAYLA]
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz
Finally got my turns in 10/30 on the whiteface highway. 5 miles of shin-deep powder. It was amazing.

#16567 - 10/31/05 01:10 AM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: TimTheClimber]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

Finally got my turns in 10/30 on the whiteface highway. 5 miles of shin-deep powder. It was amazing.

My memory of the road is that it's not steep enough to turn on. But it was below zero when I skied it and that tends to slow things down. (we were on XC gear)

#16568 - 10/31/05 01:16 AM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz
Quote:

Quote:

My memory of the road is that it's not steep enough to turn on. But it was below zero when I skied it and that tends to slow things down. (we were on XC gear)

We turned...not because we needed to, but because we wanted to. It was totally uncalled for and unnecessary at most times, but it felt good.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored