Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (donald perry), 11 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16549 - 10/07/05 01:20 PM Where to go skiing in early December?
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
Two friends of mine would like to go skiing for 3-5 days somewhere out west in early December. One has never really been skiing and needs some easy slopes and/or lessons. The other is an accomplished skier who hasn't skiied often in the US. They'll be flying in from the east coast so their options are open but someplace pretty easily accessible to a decent airport would be nice. Any thoughts or suggestions on where you'd send them?

#16550 - 10/07/05 03:24 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: learningtolead]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
wait a month and see where the good snow is...

#16551 - 10/07/05 03:57 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: crackers]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
What crackers said, but in general Utah or the Sierras will be better than Colorado that time of year(well, actually all the time, but especially then).

#16552 - 10/09/05 02:59 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
The earliest I have skiied was November 17 at Killington. Upper half of 5 trails was open.
It was strange to have to ride the chair up from the mid station to the top, get off, then get back on to come down, with skis in hand.

You gotta wait and pray until at least the week before your planned weekend. I have had plans dashed by a few warm, snow melting days prior to my trip.

#16553 - 10/09/05 07:42 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: learningtolead]
KAYLA Offline
addict

Loc: new city, ny
http://members.aol.com/crockeraf/index.htm go to this site... this guy has put together the most snow fall data i have ever seen.. he list the best chances for snow , when and were..

one year i skied killington on holloween.. upper cascade......boy it sucked

#16554 - 10/10/05 07:54 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: KAYLA]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

last year i was getting face shots at alta in mid october, though i had to skin up under the lifts to do it. brighton opened on halloween though, and the snow was better than it ever was the year before in colorado.

#16555 - 10/11/05 02:10 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
you can't beat Jackson Hole's packages available through Jackson Hole Central Reservations. Check them out on the website. I'm headed back for my third year in a row.

#16556 - 10/14/05 01:54 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: nerdom]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
CO (Denver ) is your best bet. Loveland is due to open up next week. About 2 hours from Denver. By Dec the Basin should be open, Breck, and Keystone as well. All 2 - 2.5 house from Denver.

#16557 - 10/14/05 02:58 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: Smike]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
By early december, virtually every major ski area in the west will be open.

It is stupid to guess what the weather will be.

In three weeks, half of the ski areas within 45 min of downtown salt lake will be open...

#16558 - 10/14/05 09:44 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: crackers]
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
Loveland is OPEN! Wahoo!!!!!
-Carissa

#16559 - 10/18/05 05:29 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

last year i was getting face shots at alta in mid october, though i had to skin up under the lifts to do it. brighton opened on halloween though, and the snow was better than it ever was the year before in colorado.

Snowbird opened last season on Nov 5th - earliest ever. This season's planned opening date is 11/19 unless we get more early snow. We've already had 12" above 10K'.

This shot was taken in Mineral Basin (the "back" side of Snowbird) on 11/14/2004 (all natural snow, btw):

Another shot later that day, looking down Little Cottonwood Canyon and into the Salt Lake valley, somewhere under the thickening clouds:

The original poster might want to read this thread on First Tracks Online for some additional info.
[Disclaimer: FTO is run by my friend and regular ski partner Marc. The aforementioned Tony Crocker also posts regularly.]

#16560 - 10/28/05 12:54 AM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: MarcC]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

this year sucks so far! nothing but a dusting on the high peaks, and i'm still climbing in a tshirt. i think i must have pissed off the backcountry snow gods by buying an alta pass, and now they are punishing me.

#16561 - 10/28/05 02:02 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
tradjunkie Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

this year sucks so far! nothing but a dusting on the high peaks, and i'm still climbing in a tshirt. i think i must have pissed off the backcountry snow gods by buying an alta pass, and now they are punishing me.

As penance you must work as a liftie for a season at Big Boulder. Only a sacrifice of a winter in the Poconos will appease the backcountry snow gods.

#16562 - 10/28/05 02:43 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: tradjunkie]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
the poconos? jesus christ, i'd rather go (GASP) ice climbing!

#16563 - 10/28/05 02:55 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

this year sucks so far! nothing but a dusting on the high peaks, and i'm still climbing in a tshirt.

Don't sweat it. Last season started abnormally early - Nov 5th was the earliest opening in history for Snowbird. In the past 3 seasons, we've had 100" by T-Day weekend.

Tentative opening dates are 11/17 for Alta and 11/19 for the Bird, conditions permitting. Earlier is possible if we get the snow. Last night the snow line went down to 7500' btw.

#16564 - 10/28/05 03:28 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: MarcC]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

yeah, i know last ear was too good to be true, but i am seriously jonesing to get out. last year i had already skiied 5-6 times by now.

#16565 - 10/28/05 05:30 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
KAYLA Offline
addict

Loc: new city, ny
WAA WAA WAA.... I hope you Rocky Mt boys are not trying to invoke my sympithy. Cause it ain't going to work.
Waa Waa i have a season pass at Alta or I live with in driving distance to all the major I70 resorts.. Life just sucks...
Now take my skiing life... I have a seasons pass at Hidden Valley in New Jersey and I ski Hunter every other weekend or so.. Now that's living
I'm so jealous

#16566 - 10/30/05 11:55 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: KAYLA]
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz
Finally got my turns in 10/30 on the whiteface highway. 5 miles of shin-deep powder. It was amazing.

#16567 - 10/31/05 01:10 AM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: TimTheClimber]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

Finally got my turns in 10/30 on the whiteface highway. 5 miles of shin-deep powder. It was amazing.

My memory of the road is that it's not steep enough to turn on. But it was below zero when I skied it and that tends to slow things down. (we were on XC gear)

#16568 - 10/31/05 01:16 AM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz
Quote:

Quote:

My memory of the road is that it's not steep enough to turn on. But it was below zero when I skied it and that tends to slow things down. (we were on XC gear)

We turned...not because we needed to, but because we wanted to. It was totally uncalled for and unnecessary at most times, but it felt good.

#16569 - 10/31/05 02:27 AM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: TimTheClimber]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I trust everyone realizes that Wildcat NH opened on Friday and Killington's opening day was Saturday? Stowe, MRG, Sugarbush, Pico and a few others were heavily tracked out from the earning their turns crowd. All reported mid-winter powder conditions. Here's a report on Killington's opening day.

#16570 - 10/31/05 03:09 AM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: MarcC]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Amazing conditions for OCTOBER.

#16571 - 11/07/05 03:43 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: MarcC]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

i finally got out to alta this weekend. pretty thin, but got good turns in fresh snow on saturday. spent sunday doing ritualistic snow dances so this week's storms don't fizzle like the last one did.

my tomatos and basil are still producing heavily in november. this is just not right.

#16572 - 11/10/05 08:56 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: andrew]
Cascade Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Excellent early season out in the Cascdes. Several feet of the new stuff. A couple of the downhill areas have opened already. I got 5,000 vertical on a couple of yo-yos in the Mt. Rainer backcountry last weekend. Should be a good season. If you're into the downhill scene check out Whistler, Sun Peaks, or other interior BC places. They should be rockin' by now.

#16573 - 11/17/05 12:14 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: Smike]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Snow on Colorado's mountains? Check out this Nov. 16 high-altitude photo.

#16574 - 11/17/05 04:18 PM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: oenophore]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Snow on Colorado's mountains?

Currently A-Basin, Breck, Copper, Keystone, Loveland, Wolf Creek and Winter Park are operating in one fashion or another. Eldora and Vail open tomorrow, Crested Butte on Saturday. All are or will be operating with no more than 30% of their terrain. Very little (if any, depending on area) expert terrain is open.

Typically in the west, we need a good 4 feet of settled base to cover up the rocks.

#16575 - 11/18/05 12:41 AM Re: Where to go skiing in early December? [Re: MarcC]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
I'm opening the season for myself on Saturday at Keystone. A bunch of folks I know have already been out to Brek, Keystone, and A-Basin and the reports were all good. It's early season stuff, but still well worthwhile, according to them... Of course almost everyone in Denver has a season pass, so its not like we're paying by the day or anything.

Of course, it's not too likely I'll get much further than the bunny slopes on Saturday, so...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored