Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16667 - 10/19/05 05:16 PM Odometers and blinkies
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
I think my bike is generally allergic to electronics. Blinkies break within months, and for the life of me I can't get my Polar computer to detect a signal.

So: what blinkie have you found to last? (Edk, what lighting system do you use for your commute?)

And: what simple (just distance, ave speed, time) wireless computer would you recommend?

#16668 - 10/19/05 07:36 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: Julie]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Middle of nowhere: South Salem...
As far as a cyclocomputer, I never got the wireless ones to work. However, I've had excellent luck with the Astral and the Enduro, both by Cateye. I use the Enduro on my MTB, and the Astral on my road bike (Astral keeps cadence).

Lights? Blinkies? Front or rear? I put in the blinkies that go in the ends of the roadie bars for rear, and a standard blinkie light for the front; nothing spectacular. Cheap, more than anything else.

For offroad, I use the helmet-mounted NiteRider Storm HID set-up - or, I would, if my cat hadn't chewed through the frikken wires.

T

#16669 - 10/19/05 07:41 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: Tai]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Forgive me for thread deviation, but why does a bicycle need a computer?

#16670 - 10/19/05 09:27 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: oenophore]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

For the same reason that a fish needs a bicycle.

However, if you're really training - or, you just want to keep track of your mileage for whatever reason, or you're just a gear whore - having a cyclocomputer isn't a bad thing.

T

#16671 - 10/19/05 09:48 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: Tai]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Or if you're riding an organized ride with route slips full of directions like "38.2 R at Camino Carmel" .... it helps to know where/when to look!

I seem to kill blinkies every few months. They're cheap individually, but a few a year gets ... annoying. I do have the kind that fit into the ends of the handlefars - those are good, but I like to have one on my seatpost as well.

#16672 - 10/19/05 10:23 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: Julie]
Carpal Tunnel

Ok Tai & Julie, I'll admit ignorance. What is a cyclocomputer all about?

#16673 - 10/20/05 12:35 AM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: Julie]
schwortz Offline
enthusiast

julie

get a planet bike brt-7
i have one on each of my bikes
http://www.planetbike.com/rearlights.html
if you cant find one let me know and i'll hook it up

#16674 - 10/20/05 01:48 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: schwortz]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

julie

get a planet bike brt-7
i have one on each of my bikes
http://www.planetbike.com/rearlights.html
if you cant find one let me know and i'll hook it up

I'll second this; these are the lights I have, I just couldn't remember the name. They make front lights, as well.

T

#16675 - 10/20/05 01:50 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: oenophore]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

Ok Tai & Julie, I'll admit ignorance. What is a cyclocompter all about?

Exactly what we've already stated. I used mine for cadence and total mileage; Julie mentioned road ride directions that involve specific turning points. Max speed, etc. Some of them even hook up via wireless connection to a pulse monitor, allowing you to stay in whichever BPM range you desire without riding one-handed and checking your pulse with the other.

T

#16676 - 10/20/05 03:46 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: Tai]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

i've been using the specialized turbo elite (i think it was $60), is wireless and has a cadence thingy i never attached. i like it enough to buy a second mount for my other bike and, since i can change between two wheel diameters, i can keep track of my commuting miles and my training miles---something oeny clearly wouldn't understand.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=12577

one big feature i liked about any computer was a nightlight--so often overlooked in these products. i bike a bunch a night and always hated not being able to see how fast i was going on the brooklyn bridge (sigh...still miss that commute).

but if i buy a new roadbike this fall, i'm going to buy a gps-based cyclocomputer for it because i enjoy getting lost but still knowing if i have 20 or 50 more miles to go before i hook back into a road that will get me home again.

as far as blinkies go, i got the frame-mounted fore and aft cheapo set from performance (i think it was $10 for the pair). they have yet to die (in a year) or get trashed/stolen. but i would say that i care less about being seen at night on these mean streets than most people do.

#16677 - 10/20/05 04:31 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: JoeKayak]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
I can second the Cateye computers as being good. And durable, and reliable.
I have 2 Astrales, a Mity on the wife's mtb and mine, and just got onea their double wireless for the new tri bike.
Haven't used that last one yet, but it looks good.

Joe's right, the cheapo Performance blinkies work just fine, I use one (it was $5 too, so practically disposable) for running also.
I have a Topeak 3 LED light for the front, it was like $10 (on sale, at Perf.), and has on, blink, and off as the settings.
Definitely much more a "to be seen" vs. "to see" light, but tiny and so far, seems durable.

My fave blinkie is a Vistalite Eclipse. Mine *just* stopped blinking (it does still have constant-on), after 7 seasons and 2-3 battery changes.
I think all the recent rain finally did it in. I will replace it w/ another of the same, it;s very small, but very bright.
Nashbar has it on sale now for like $12 I wanna say...

I just picked up some Knog Frog blinkies (approx $10 each) for the new ride; since it has irregularly shaped tubes pretty much everywhere, standard blinkies won't fit.
Haven't used 'em yet (other than playing around in the kitchen and letting Emma play w/ them, she loves 'em), and they are minimalist (only 1 LED), but they do seem fairly bright given that.

#16678 - 10/20/05 06:22 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: schwortz]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Those 3-LED blinkies with the "soft switch" are exactly what have crapped out on me (at $15 a pop, most recent under the "sigma sport" brand) before. Took it apart, even ... but no dice. I'll try the cheapie Performance ones next.

Computer with a front light sounds like a good combination!

Thanks, guys.

#16679 - 10/20/05 06:30 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: Tai]
Carpal Tunnel

From what you gave me, I can conclude that a cyclocomputer is a device connected to the bicycle's speedometer that records speed and distance traveled, and possibly input from a pulse monitor. The data are analyzed and tabulated by this device. Am I correct?

#16680 - 10/20/05 06:37 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: oenophore]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Whine guy,

A cyclocomputer IS the bicycle's speedometer.
Or, conversely, without a bike computer, you have no speedometer (or odometer, or cadence, or avg speed, or distance traveled, etc, etc etc)

Are you really this dense?

#16681 - 10/20/05 06:39 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: MurphysLaw]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Whine guy,

Or, conversely, without a bike computer, you have no speedometer (or odometer, or cadence, or avg speed, or distance traveled, etc, etc etc)

A speedometer is not a computer, nor is an odometer.

#16682 - 10/20/05 07:01 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: oenophore]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

You just answered my question. Thx.

<heavy sigh>

Why don'tcha go to www.performancebike.com, click on the section about bike computers, and see what they do for yourself.
A picture is worth 1000 words. But here's a few words anyway....

In a nutshell (since you seem to need this basic of an explanation), a small magnet is attached to a spoke of one of your bike wheels (typically the front)
A small device, connected either by wire or wirelessly to a small computer mounted on the handlebars, reads how often said magnet passes by, and transmits this info to the computer. And, by knowing how often it goes by, and the circumference of the tires on the bike (which you input into the computer, so it then knows this stuff), it will calculate:
your current speed, trip distance, average speed, total elapsed distance traveled aka odometer, etc etc etc.

So - it's a COMPUTER. That COMPUTES your speed. Hence it is a speedometer as well. And it computes your total elapsed distance travelled, hence it is an odometer too.

They cost freaking $15 for the cheap ones, why not buy one and see for yerself?

#16683 - 10/20/05 07:13 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: oenophore]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:

Quote:

Whine guy,

A speedometer is not a computer, nor is an odometer.

oh jeez...actually both are computers in a traditional sense. but seriously, most speedometers and odometers for bicycles (and autos) are computer-based today you freak.

but really i'm writing because i just found this:

http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/

and now i've gone and drooled all over my keyboard again.

#16684 - 10/20/05 07:20 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: JoeKayak]
Carpal Tunnel

i just found this:
http://www.garmin.com/products/edge305/

Thanks Mr. Kayak; that's the sort of thing that's helpful in answering my question. The Edge 305 is far more than a mere speedometer/odometer. It seems like a near must-have for the up-to-date with-it cyclist/yuppie.

#16685 - 10/20/05 07:24 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: oenophore]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Whiney Oene, your first few questions seemed more geared towards why one would want to compute speed, distance, time, etc. Since the question of what a cyclocomputer is is so easily answered with google, I think we tried to stick to answering the former query (which is really best answered from the saddle).

#16686 - 10/20/05 08:47 PM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: Julie]
Carpal Tunnel

Is the Edge 305 ne plus ultra state-of-the-art in its category? I'd think such a device would include a clinometer instead of a barometer. The latter can be influenced by weather. Energy calculations would be more accurate with a clinometer.

#16687 - 10/22/05 03:55 AM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: Julie]
edk Offline
addict

Loc: allentown, NJ
Quote:

I think my bike is generally allergic to electronics. Blinkies break within months, and for the life of me I can't get my Polar computer to detect a signal.

So: what blinkie have you found to last? (Edk, what lighting system do you use for your commute?)

And: what simple (just distance, ave speed, time) wireless computer would you recommend?

I use a $20 blackburn blinkie in the rear - very bright with side amber flashers. I say they are disposable and never last more than one winter.

I pick up cheap flashers for the helmet - specialized has a single unti that has a helmet mount -- fireball?

Then the pricey one is the niterider HID blowtorch upfront $400 clams on that one, but it lights up the night and then some, cars actaully give me MROE respect int eh dark than light with it on.

As far as computers - I have a specialized that has a backlight for darkness. $20 - $100 - in the winter I go for an ECHO F1 - $20 and no light, but who cares its bombproof, but basic. I usuually go through one cheap one a season or two and one good one every 3 years or so.

I also use various reflective stuffs, and strap a falsher to my left wrist.

Seems the stuff never makes it through the winter and I come out just barely making it to spring. I do ride 3 soid months in the dark, alomst never when its light so the investment is worth it. GOOD LUCK!

#16688 - 10/22/05 05:16 AM Re: Odometers and blinkies [Re: edk]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, Ed. I saw someone out with fluorescent orange gloves a bit back - those might be a good idea for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored