Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#16766 - 10/26/05 07:44 PM Re: Awosting Reserve for sale [Re: nerdom]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
A combined offer, by OSI and the Trust for Public Lands (TPL), of $17 million has been made. If that offer is successful the state will likely end up with the land. Although on it's surface this sounds great, if it becomes state land it will no longer be within the jurisdiction of Gardiner or Gardiner's zoning laws. For decades the state has made efforts to acquire the land by emminent domain but without funds allocated to pay for said taking. Their plan in the past has been to open a second entrance to Minnewaska State Park replete with extensive parking lots and bus depot. The Mohonk Preserve boasts of a half million visitors a year. It seems reasonable to expect a half million or more visitors a year will enter or visit an expanded Minnewaska State Park through Awosting. This bodes well for neither the people of Gardiner or the ecology of the ridge.

Also, the diiference between the asking price of $35 million and the offered price of $17 million, and the possible unwillingness of anyone to offer more, may well be because the zoning law is hanging over much of the land on the ridge, including Awosting Reserve, like the Sword of Damocles. This seems to be the intention of the local land preservation community as articulated in the now notorious words of Chris Moratz, Gunks Climbers Coalition spokesperson, when referring to a different piece of land affected by the proposed zoning law.

“….an offer (by OSI) was made last year, with our help and advocacy, on the upper 20 acres or so, which includes a large part of the face of Millbrook. The offer was rejected. The owner wanted more money. If successful in purchasing, the land would be turned over to either PIPC or Mohonk Preserve. If the new zoning goes through, the property may become less valuable to the landowner (speaking of the talus and cliff only) and he may become much more willing to do the deal. This is one example of how these things are approached”.

So by depressing the price of Awosting by $10 or $15 million, the zoning law, supported by the local land preservation community, may open the Town of Gardiner up to litigation for damages in those amounts. Again the OSI/TPL offer does not bode well for the people of Gardiner.

Edited by Kent (10/26/05 08:54 PM)

#16767 - 10/26/05 09:33 PM Re: Awosting Reserve for sale [Re: Kent]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
So by depressing the price of Awosting by $10 or $15 million, the zoning law, supported by the local land preservation community, may open the Town of Gardiner up to litigation for damages in those amounts.

Hasn't the legal issue of diminution of real estate value by restrictive zoning been definitively settled by now?

#16768 - 10/27/05 02:16 AM Re: Awosting Reserve for sale [Re: Kent]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
Their plan in the past has been to open a second entrance to Minnewaska State Park replete with extensive parking lots and bus depot. The Mohonk Preserve boasts of a half million visitors a year. It seems reasonable to expect a half million or more visitors a year will enter or visit an expanded Minnewaska State Park through Awosting.

Kent,

Please provide documentation to support your claim that PIPC plans to use Awosting as another entrance to Minnewaska, replete with parking lots and bus depot.

The consensus number for all visitors to the Northern Shawangunks annually - including visitors to the Mountain House, the Preserve, Minnewaska, and Sam's Point - is a half-million per year.

#16769 - 10/27/05 02:24 AM Re: Awosting Reserve for sale [Re: Kent]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Quote:

It seems reasonable to expect a half million or more visitors a year will enter or visit an expanded Minnewaska State Park through Awosting. This bodes well for neither the people of Gardiner or the ecology of the ridge.

Hi Kent! I take this to indicate you support the non-development side of the issue, with respect to Bradley's property...

#16770 - 10/27/05 02:46 AM Re: Awosting Reserve for sale [Re: Kent]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Their plan in the past has been to open a second entrance to Minnewaska State Park replete with extensive parking lots and bus depot.

This bus depot intrigues me - please elaborate if you will.

Thanks.

#16771 - 10/27/05 05:07 AM Re: Awosting Reserve for sale [Re: GeeVee]
Kent Offline
old hand

Yorick, GeeVee, that was the plan in the past as communicated to me verbally by people who live in the neighborhood that were previously made aware of these plans. Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can dig up for original source documentation.

Pedestrian, yes I'd prefer to see the Awosting Reserve purchased at a fair market value that is unencumbered by the threat of a draconian zoning law, and left undisturbed. This would require a commitment by the land preservation community, and all of us within that community, well beyond what has been made to date.

#16772 - 10/27/05 10:17 AM Re: Awosting Reserve for sale [Re: Kent]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Pedestrian, yes I'd prefer to see the Awosting Reserve purchased at a fair market value that is unencumbered by the threat of a draconian zoning law, and left undisturbed. This would require a commitment by the land preservation community, and all of us within that community, well beyond what has been made to date.

What is this commitment, more $?

#16773 - 10/27/05 04:35 PM Re: Awosting Reserve for sale [Re: oenophore]
Kent Offline
old hand

A fair shake for John Bradley and for everyone else who owns land on the ridge.

#16774 - 10/27/05 05:16 PM Re: Awosting Reserve for sale [Re: Kent]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
GeeVee, Elvis, and any other legally-inclined types out there, can you clarify for me what the current legal thinking is regarding planning decisions which impact on the potential value/sale price of land?

Are planning bodies liable for loss of value? If they are, shouldn't the flip side be that if planning decisions raise the value of your piece of property, you should pay the planning authority?

#16775 - 10/27/05 05:49 PM Re: Awosting Reserve for sale [Re: irisharehere]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"Are planning bodies liable for loss of value? If they are, shouldn't the flip side be that if planning decisions raise the value of your piece of property, you should pay the planning authority? "

I don't think they are liable for increase/decrease in property values. There's a development outside DC in Maryland (Clarksburg?) that is all in a dither because the developer totally changed the plans presented and approved by the planning board. Houses are built too tall for code, streets are too narrow, homes are too close and it is all being presented to the planning board. Seems that's the only leverage the community has to hold the developer responsible for his deliberate errors. Otherwise I guess it's the homeowners that are out of pocket. The county inspector general and the state special prosecutor are conducting separate investigations, so the planning board is really obsolete. Just another patronage payola position that doesn't really do anything.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored