Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#17056 - 11/07/05 05:53 PM New rappel slings and rings on second pitch of Jackie
farmax Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC
On Saturday, I and two other people climbed Belly Roll.
When we got to the top of the second pitch, we saw another party rappelling down on a 2 ropes rappel from a tree over Jackie.
My partner could not help, to tell them that they should not run the rope directly around the tree ;( although many people had already done it there, seeing the status of the tree) because that kills the tree and damage your rope.
After this we decided to avoid this kind of situation in the future; therefore we slung the tree with 2 1" webbing slings and we used two rappel rings.
Everybody is invited to reinforce the anchor with more cordage if you are up there and maybe, a steel ring; (we did not have anything more than what we put there).
For the moment enjoy the two rope rappel station instead of the walk, and let’s try to not damage more trees anymore.

#17057 - 11/07/05 05:55 PM Re: New rappel slings and rings on second pitch of Jackie [Re: farmax]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Middle of nowhere: South Salem...
Quote:

On Saturday, I and two other people climbed Belly Roll.
When we got to the top of the second pitch, we saw another party rappelling down on a 2 ropes rappel from a tree over Jackie.
My partner could not help, to tell them that they should not run the rope directly around the tree ;( although many people had already done it there, seeing the status of the tree) because that kills the tree and damage your rope.
After this we decided to avoid this kind of situation in the future; therefore we slung the tree with 2 1" webbing slings and we used two rappel rings.
Everybody is invited to reinforce the anchor with more cordage if you are up there and maybe, a steel ring; (we did not have anything more than what we put there).
For the moment enjoy the two rope rappel station instead of the walk, and let’s try to not damage more trees anymore.

Why in the hell would anyone want to rappel from that area? It's faster, and safer, to use the Uberfall. Fer fuck's sake!!

T

#17058 - 11/07/05 06:02 PM Re: New rappel slings and rings on second pitch of Jackie [Re: Tai]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
actually its even closer to the radcliffe descent too

#17059 - 11/07/05 06:07 PM Re: New rappel slings and rings on second pitch of Jackie [Re: Tai]
farmax Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC
People do it! I do not know why!!!!
Just go and take a look at the status of the tree....
That is why we put that staff there.

#17060 - 11/07/05 06:08 PM Re: New rappel slings and rings on second pitch of Jackie [Re: CrackBoy]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
This new anchor seems inadvisable. The last thing we need is people rapping down there adding to the chaos of an already too busy anchor. Just because someone was so ignorant/lazy as to rap without an anchor doesn't mean one should be added there. I assume this will be removed pretty quickly.

#17061 - 11/07/05 06:10 PM Re: New rappel slings and rings on second pitch of Jackie [Re: dalguard]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Last time I climbed Classic I shared a rap from that tree with (name removed). But we/he left slings. I rapped to retrieve pro left by my inexperienced second which was easily removed.

Edited by Mark Heyman (11/08/05 04:19 AM)

#17062 - 11/07/05 06:24 PM Re: New rappel slings and rings on second pitch of Jackie [Re: dalguard]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
I have chopped that anchor, and will do so again.

It's too busy an area, too many pebbly ledges, and way too close to the Ufall. Plus which, it's slabby, tree-d and featured enough that pulling the rope just invites trouble.

Yes, there are times when it's necessary to rap (water flowing down the Ufall, or even ice). Those are rare enough, and you can walk to the raps to the north.

#17063 - 11/07/05 07:17 PM Re: New rappel slings and rings on second pitch of Jackie [Re: Julie]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

I have chopped that anchor, and will do so again.

Well at least now you know who to return the rap rings to!

#17064 - 11/07/05 08:09 PM Re: New rappel slings and rings on second pitch of Jackie [Re: Julie]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Julie, it’s you choice, but cutting sling does not mean that people won't rap from there. It means that they will kill the tree if they don’t bother rigging it properly. I guess your ultimate goal will eventually be served that way.

I am not at all opposed to walking off, but I have found looking for raps on other routes pretty difficult. Most times I manage to hook up with others topping out and efficiently rig and share ropes. Again am not opposed to walking off. At least I can find the Uberfall if I wasn’t to far from it to begin with.

#17065 - 11/07/05 08:18 PM Re: New rappel slings and rings on second pitch of Jackie [Re: Mark Heyman]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
If we put a sling around every tree that someone might decide to rap off of, where does it stop? I'm not a walking off maniac, but come on. You're within spitting distance of the Uberfall and it's a really crowded area where we just don't need the added complication of another anchor.

Using your argument, we might as well install a permanant anchor at the top of Ken's Crack too. Don't think I haven't seem people rap directly off the tree there. One day I saw someone rap directly off the tree on the Three Pines ledge because the bolted rap station was busy and he didn't feel like waiting his turn. People will do anything.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored