Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17120 - 11/11/05 03:47 AM Re: 1First pitch only 5.easy... [Re: Tai]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Aren't they all rap hangers? I could have sworn someone said they were all rap hangers and you could rap through them.

#17121 - 11/11/05 01:49 PM Re: 1First pitch only 5.easy... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Aren't they all rap hangers? I could have sworn someone said they were all rap hangers and you could rap through them.

Tai is the mayor of Peter's Kill. What he says about the place is truth.

#17122 - 11/11/05 02:07 PM Re: 1First pitch only 5.easy... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Middle of nowhere: South Salem...
Quote:

Someone might have said that. I propose that they're wrong. You're welcome to discover for yourself; rappel off the bolts on top of the Enterprise Wall, and let me know if you can pull your rope afterwards.

And I'm just the Treasurer of Peterskill. Strat is the Ombudsman and resident TR soloist.

T

#17123 - 11/11/05 03:43 PM Re: 1First pitch only 5.easy... [Re: Tai]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Quote:

Someone might have said that. I propose that they're wrong. You're welcome to discover for yourself; rappel off the bolts on top of the Enterprise Wall, and let me know if you can pull your rope afterwards.

Do they look like the ones on Jackie or the protection bolts on Arrow? The former are rap hangers. If bolts are placed in the wrong spot, a pull-down can be impossible, even with rap hangers or chains.

#17124 - 11/11/05 03:59 PM Re: 1First pitch only 5.easy... [Re: Tai]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No thanks. I used to tell people not to rap directly off the hangers at PK, but someone got on my case about the hangers being rap hangers and that rapping and pulling the rope through them was perfectly fine. Since then I've been telling people to walk off, seems better than ruffling feathers.

#17125 - 11/11/05 04:45 PM Re: 1First pitch only 5.easy... [Re: Tai]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Quote:

The Scrotum Pole has bolts, but not welded rap rings. Rapping through the bolts... isn't advised, if you want your rope.

Back when I did it, it had permanent fixed slings with rap rings run through the bolt hangers on the Arete I side. Rapping was not a problem. Some idiot cut 'em?

#17126 - 11/11/05 05:02 PM Re: 1First pitch only 5.easy... [Re: pedestrian]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I put the webbing and rap rings there last year (or was it early this year? I don't remember). It was raining, I didn't want to downclimb nor pull my rope through the hangers. The webbing was short enough not to hang over the edge, so they wouldn't be visible from the ground, and not ideal for TR. Made getting down much easier.

Can't imagine why someone would cut them, they were probably the least obtrusive anchors at PK.

#17127 - 11/11/05 05:10 PM Re: 1First pitch only 5.easy... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

I put the webbing and rap rings there last year (or was it early this year? I don't remember). It was raining, I didn't want to downclimb nor pull my rope through the hangers. The webbing was short enough not to hang over the edge, so they wouldn't be visible from the ground, and not ideal for TR. Made getting down much easier.

Can't imagine why someone would cut them, they were probably the least obtrusive anchors at PK.

I didn't cut them away (really, I didn't), but I did see people TRing through the rap rings above the Scrotum Pole. IMHO it's a good idea for a rap station to be there because it protects the tree from rappel damage and not everyone knows the Texas Rope Trick, but people still think it's SOP to TR through rap rings. Perhaps a less-intrusive color webbing, on a different section of the tree instead of that branch right over the route?

I remember, last year, when someone put in rap rings on the Chalkboard Wall bolts with a single piece of webbing going from bolt to bolt - and people were TRing using them. I did cut that one away.

T

#17128 - 11/11/05 05:18 PM Re: 1First pitch only 5.easy... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

No thanks. I used to tell people not to rap directly off the hangers at PK, but someone got on my case about the hangers being rap hangers and that rapping and pulling the rope through them was perfectly fine. Since then I've been telling people to walk off, seems better than ruffling feathers.

Jerks, they were.

Walking off is definitely better.

T

#17129 - 11/11/05 06:15 PM Re: 1First pitch only 5.easy... [Re: Tai]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

...but people still think it's SOP to TR through rap rings. Perhaps a less-intrusive color webbing,...

I remember, last year, when someone put in rap rings on the Chalkboard Wall bolts with a single piece of webbing going from bolt to bolt - and people were TRing using them. I did cut that one away.

Sigh. Why don't Gunkies use the standard chains and quick-links like almost everywhere else on fixed community anchors? It's a given - the clueless will continue to TR through fixed hardware. So why not use something that is both robust and easily replaced when necessary?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored