Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#17259 - 12/02/05 06:17 PM Re: epic days [Re: KAYLA]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
Jackson Hole got 20+ inches in the last three days. Opening day is tomorrow. I hope like hell the snow's falling when I'm out there in late January . . .

As for my best day, it was at Magic Mountain last year, with more than a foot of untracked powder everywhere. Bombed the Redline all day long. So sweet.

#17260 - 12/02/05 06:42 PM Re: epic days [Re: nerdom]
KAYLA Offline
addict

Loc: new city, ny
Jackson is soooooo sweet... I hope the Hoobacks (sp) are opened for you.. They were closed when I was there.
Last March I had a foot plus day at Okemo.. I loved it , the kids suffered.

#17261 - 12/02/05 08:21 PM Re: epic days [Re: nerdom]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
My single best day of skiing ever was actually on corn - last summer skiing down mt adams in the cascades. God that was fun.

Other than that, most epic powder day could be any one of dozens that i've had in the wasatch over the last few years. Pretty fun stuff.

I would love to go heli skiing in BC or alaska sometime though.

#17262 - 12/02/05 08:46 PM Re: epic days [Re: KAYLA]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

hope the Hoobacks (sp) are opened for you..

The Hobacks are probably my favorite area at Jackson Hole! I logged lots of time in them the last two years I went out there! It was rare to see even one other party over there. It's like you've got a whole mountain to yourself.

#17263 - 12/02/05 10:50 PM Re: epic days [Re: nerdom]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Most epicest day - Mad River Glen in 1982. I turned my pole upside down and stuck it almost up to the basket. Something like 42" of powder. I learned how to turn in powder that day.

Going home my engine blew an oil seal and I put 23 quarts in it to get home. But it was worth it.

#17264 - 12/04/05 09:37 PM Re: biggest days [Re: Mike Rawdon]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
since Marc asked, my biggest day (on area) was in the 1997-8 season when I was in 69" of fresh.

#17265 - 12/06/05 06:49 PM Re: biggest days [Re: crackers]
fallenglass Offline
enthusiast

Loc: cornwall
my best day was in the adirondaks in '93 or so -- from the summit of cascade, ski down the trail to the saddle between cascade and porter - then hang a left into the woods (the map calls it walton basin, but i thought it had another name) ski down the basin to keene, right to the front door of monty's or purdy's or whatever the hell it's called.

the day in question had a super deep base with fresh knee to crotch deep powder. untouched powder that is. skiing through the birch glades seemed to go on forever! i'm a sucky skiier, but the snow that day made me feel expert.

i tried it again a few years later with a base that didn't quite cover the undergrowth. it was hell! trying to ski through the brillo and the pricker bushes was a disaster.

#17266 - 12/09/05 05:29 PM more snow [Re: fallenglass]
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz

#17267 - 12/12/05 03:05 PM Re: more snow [Re: TimTheClimber]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

yep, it sure did! I stopped off to grab a growler from the Otter that afternoon, on my way to Vermont. Looked like 10-12 inches of fluff!

I missed out on the best of the newly fallen white stuff on Friday, but my friends who skiied it that day (at Killington) told me it was fantastic. There was 8 or so inches on the upper mountain according to them. There was still plenty of snow to be had on Sat and Sun up there, and I took full advantage of it!

Early forecast is showing another similar storm (split jet stream) for later this week, though not as widespread. Could bring up to 6 inches more in northern New England. Killington, here I come!

#17268 - 12/12/05 06:06 PM Re: more snow [Re: nerdom]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
tahoe is an interesting beast. its been wet but well above freezing for the most part, though ther eis a base, haven't checked anything out since i am poor and don't want to pay for a lift ticket for crap, but everything else is at that point where there is enough snow to make hiking suck and not enough to ski snowshoe.

hell it was mid 60s here yesterday

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored