Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17271 - 11/20/05 04:01 PM Snowboarding Gear
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
So... I'm hooked! I did one day last winter on the East Coast. That sucked. Yesterday at Keystone was freakin awesome! I have a season pass to Keystone, Breck and A-Basin and plan to go at least once a week for the rest of the season. So, some questions about gear:

Helmets: I'm sold on my need for one of these. Neurologists are my least favorite doctors and I don't want to be one of their patients. I can get Leedom helmets (the Vandal, Zen, and Heckler) for half-price. Anyone know if they are good lids?

Board: I can get a deal on a Monument Guide series board. It seems like it'd be a good beginner board, but I really have no idea. I know that I'll probably outgrow my first board after a season or two, so I really don't want to spend more than $200. (I can get the Guide for $150.)

Bindings: Anyone have/use Flux bindings? I can get their whole line at half-price. I was thinking about the Emblem.

Boots: I've got no ideas here. I'm willing to drop some cash on these though because happy feet are important, and I figure I can keep these for a few seasons.

Jacket: I am lusting after the Patagucci Puff Rider jacket.

Any and all input is appreciated. I'm hoping to get some of this as x-mas and b-day presents. I can probably afford to drop about $600 in total.

#17272 - 11/20/05 05:29 PM Re: Snowboarding Gear [Re: intrepid02]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Helmets: I'm sold on my need for one of these.

Yet you're wearing one in your signature photo.

#17273 - 11/20/05 09:01 PM Re: Snowboarding Gear [Re: oenophore]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

I never had any doubts about their use for climbing. But the last time I went skiing (about a decade ago) helmets were only worn by little kids. It hadn't really occurred to me to where one snowboarding until I saw that about half the people on the mountain wear them nowadays.

#17274 - 11/20/05 09:41 PM Re: Snowboarding Gear [Re: intrepid02]
KAYLA Offline
addict

Loc: new city, ny
I have been skiing with a Leedom helmet for the last 10years.. I can't ski with out it.

#17275 - 11/21/05 05:29 PM Re: Snowboarding Gear [Re: intrepid02]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
yea i hjave been thinking more about getting a helmet for boarding, seems like a good idea and they can be alot warmer. can't comment on brand but rei usually has the giro's on sale

boards. i ride a palmer classic, and i really like it. its probably not a beginer board but i have no idea what that would entail. you are going to have to adjust to any board you get, it took me a good couple of times to get used to it and find my ideal setup.

i have burton synchro bindings, they are alright, sometimes its a pain in the ass to get the bindings to catch when strapping the board on. though if i were you i would definitely get the strap ons as opposed to step in, way easier to get on in powder.

i havea pair of burton boots, don't know the brand but they are ok. pretty warm, but slow to break in. wind up killing my big toe, but alot of new boots now have heat molded liners.

i would try to see if there is a ski/board show near you. we just went to one yesterday, and they had some ridiculous prices for everything.

i have a sessions jacket which is awesome. you are going to get warm in whatever you wear, you probably would want something that is more waterproof than not. look for a powder skirt in it. my jacket has a sleeve liner with thumb holes in it to keep stuff out of the cuffs.

other than that if you can wait, most deals will be found in the summer

#17276 - 11/28/05 08:57 PM Re: Snowboarding Gear [Re: intrepid02]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
go rent a dozen boards before you buy.

think about shape and stiffness, not size or brand.

if you must buy now, buy the cheapest set up you can find. if you can wait till you've tried 5-10 different set ups, buy after new years when prices start to drop. Most shops that rent high end stuff will let you push a large part of your rental money towards a purchase.

Find out what resort you like the most. Ask if they need a volunteer ED nurse, as many resorts will swap a pass for a day or two a month. (ps, you ski while you're 'on area' at most places...)

#17277 - 11/29/05 12:00 AM Re: Snowboarding Gear [Re: crackers]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
you can't really buy a bad helmet. as in most things, fit is important. i had to try on a half dozen helmets before i found one that is really comfy. now i feel kinda naked skiing without one.

#17278 - 11/29/05 02:20 PM Re: Snowboarding Gear [Re: andrew]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
I have a Salomon Definition board (156), Salomon bindings (not sure which; got the board and bindings pretty cheap from Sierra Trading post three seasons ago), Northwave boots (way, way better than my old Salomon boots), no helmet (yet; the most comfortable one I tried on was the old Giro Fuse, but I can't find it anymore).

For me, the boots are the most important thing - some boots that feel great when you're in the shop, will stretch and loosen up after a couple days' riding, resulting in that dreaded heel lift, which will ruin your riding experience quicker than anything. Strive to find the best fitting boots you can, no matter the cost. As for the board, know what kind of riding you're likely to do. If you plan to kick it up in the terrain parks, your needs are going to be slightly different than if you're just looking for a good freeride package. I have no complaints about my set-up for either. It performs as well for me in the halfpipe and on big air hits as it does in the moguls or a deep powder stash (it's not as if I'm cranking out crazy tricks in the pipe or on the jumps; I'm just looking for that sweet weightless feeling of big air!).

#17279 - 12/01/05 12:01 AM Re: Snowboarding Gear [Re: nerdom]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Thanks for all the advice guys. I just got my Leedom helmet and K2 bindings (thanks Mike!) in the mail. I bought a pair of Solomon boots at REI about a week ago. The pair that fit me the best happened to be on sale for $150! Woohoo!

My board should be here in about a week. I basically got cheap bindings and a cheap board knowing I'm only going to use them for a season. I'll be posting at this time next year looking to sell them.

#17280 - 12/01/05 01:46 PM Re: Snowboarding Gear [Re: intrepid02]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
don't bother selling them. use them next year as your rock board, then donate around christmas time to some charity. (of course, take the board to the shop and get it tuned up first...)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored