Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#17388 - 12/03/05 08:58 PM Re: Wheel upgrade [Re: schwortz]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
For the record, my bike has disc brakes (shitty ones) so the caliper issue is moot.

As far as commuting, I was also toying with the idea of trying to clean up/overhaul my old roadie but since I haven't used it in about 12 years, it might not be worth it. It will all depend on where I find a job, commuting might be replaced by carpooling if it's 40 miles away.

I am well aware of the difference in speed between a mountain vs a road bike but I also had bad memories of snakebites-a-plenty back when I was riding my road bike around town.

If I use the MTB for commuting rather than going the roadie route, I will certainly look into bigger wheels. Either way I think I'm upgrading the wheels on the bike I have.

#17389 - 12/03/05 10:22 PM Re: Wheel upgrade [Re: pitfall]
schwortz Offline
enthusiast

what are the two bikes in question anyway...i should have asked that to begin with....and what kind of wheels and disc brakes do you have on that mountain bike?

12 years means nothing by itself....that bike could be well worth overhauling....

as for pinch-flats, if you run slightly larger rubber (say 25 or 28 instead of 20 or 23) and you keep your pressure up (top it off every week at a minimum) you wont have a problem.....i ride on 25s every day in philadelphia and rarely flat-out.....and for the record, philly streets suck, i hop curbs a lot, i ride fixed so i dont always have as much flexibility in terms of hopping bad pavement and i often ride the same wheels on unpaved stuff.......

#17390 - 12/04/05 05:07 AM Re: Wheel upgrade [Re: schwortz]
pitfall Offline
old hand

MTB:
'05 Fuji Thrill garbage alivio/acera components, promax mechanical disc brakes. Hubs are fuji sealed bearing, rims are double wall alex dp-17
I got it fairly cheap and the frame isn't bad so slowly upgrading it depending on how it'll be used won't bother me.

Road:
87 or 88 Schwinn Letour also grabage components (suntour blaze) but it served me well at the time. If an upgrade was ever a question with that bike I could easliy find a bike on ebay with older 105 components for less than any upgrade.

#17391 - 12/04/05 05:56 AM Re: Wheel upgrade [Re: pitfall]
schwortz Offline
enthusiast

right.....well.....

i'd sell them both and buy a cross bike.....but i've just got this nagging desire to build a cross bike at the moment....

or make the schwinny a fixie and/or singlespeed for fun and gear the fuji up a bunch with as big a chainring as the front der can handle...

we sell fuji where i work and though we dont usually sell the thrill, i'd venture to say that the wheels are probably the nicest components on that bike....well that and the saddle

if you have $200 bucks to spend to make that thing faster i would definitely upgrade the drivetrain....i dont know off-hand but i'm guessing that the max capacity for that acera junk is a 42t chainring.....so you could put a deore front der on there with a 44, 46 or probably even a 48t big ring on there and you'll definitely see a noticeable increase in speed....you'll probably have to swap out the whole triple for a differently spaced set but you'll be better off.....i dont really remember what that would actually cost but with labor it might get up to 200 really quick....it would be worth it though since 200 wont get you much more out of new wheels than you've already got....you could definitely improve on-road performance by slapping a rigid fork on there as well......i'd do both of those before new wheels....

p.s. i doubt you'll fit 29ers on there unless you run some skinny ass rubber....

#17392 - 12/04/05 09:34 PM Re: Wheel upgrade [Re: schwortz]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
okay, i'm a freak.

take the $2 and buy some good road wheels. I'd agree with Schwortz about nearly everything he's written, but i think there's a hole in his logic here.

Take the good wheels, have your local smart bike shop set them up to work with your 1988 105. (btw, that means you're going to have at least one cog on the rear cluster locked out if you want clicky clicky. 105's first year of clicky clicky was 1986).

Use your road bike with the $250 of expense (200 for new wheels with 25mm tires, $20 for new cables etc and $30 for tune up) until you find out if you're going to be carpooling or not. Then either throw out the bike and put the wheels on your new city bike, or keep it around while you carpool.

#17393 - 12/04/05 11:19 PM Re: Wheel upgrade [Re: crackers]
schwortz Offline
enthusiast

you're a freak sure, but not for that advice....thats probably what i would do too, except i'd make it a fix/singlespeed....or if i really needed gears i'd build me a three-speed rear end....yeah that would be hot for commuting....but me likey the road bikey for the road....

that said i think he said the le tour has shit parts on it and he could probably find a used bike on ebay with old 105 for less than upgrading the le tour's shit suntour kit..... but he actually doesnt have a roadie with decent anything.....i'm guessing that le tour had dia compe brakes and an sr/sakae crankset and bars/stem.....all of that is probably fine to keep....the drivetrain and wheels probably suck big time.....you're right though....200 bucks could get you some hoops for the roadie and old shimano parts are pretty easy to find in junk bins at most shops....you could build a full 600 group from most shops parts bins...

i think i enjoy working on bikes as much as i enjoy riding them....

#17394 - 12/06/05 03:44 AM Re: Wheel upgrade [Re: schwortz]
edk Offline
addict

Loc: allentown, NJ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you cant just throw bigger wheels on your mountain bike...if you put 700c wheels on then your brakes wont work....a 26" mtn bike wheel has a rim diameter of 559 where a 700c wheel has a diameter of 622....thats in mm so thats 63 mm diff in diameter which will leave your brake calipers 3cm below the rim......

Sure you can, so many MTB frames have clearance for larger wheels, brakes are not an issue now, buy some cheap discs and it's good to go.

new wheel set = lots of possibilities - think outside the box, I've got two frames with larger wheels now that originally came with an MTB wheelset.

700cc and 29 the same size? sure they are for all that it matters, but 29 wheels are usually wider and easier to shop for in the context of an MTB.

fine, you're right....you seem to want to be anyway....

i said "you cant just throw bigger wheels on" which is true....and then explained why you cant though i didnt go into how you might since he wants to make a sub $200 upgrade to an entry level mountain bike.....so you want him to put a set of 29er disc wheels on his cheap commuter mtn bike.....show me a set of decent 29er wheels, with disc hubs, plus new tires tubes and rim tape, plus discs for 200 bucks.....

i thought i explained the 700/29 issue fairly well if briefly.....they are the same diameter, but 29er rims (either labelled as such or purpose built for mtn biking) are often larger in width and "stronger" (maybe thicker, maybe heavier, maybe SLOWER maybe not...)...

the point was _IF_ he puts 29er specific wheels on a generic mtn bike frame they might not fit as easily as 700c "road" wheels since the width of both rim and tire might be an issue for clearance on the chain stays and seat stays...but mostly on the chain stays....so actually 29er wheels arent necessarily "easier to shop for in the context of a MTB" other than rear hub spacing being an issue between a mountain frame and road wheel.....but hub spacers or even new axles for that matter are cheap as shit.....

additionally you cant just throw those big wheels on and say dude its cool just go disc since his low end mtn bike might not have disc mounts on either the fork or rear dropouts or both...hey, maybe they do but still show me a setup to do that for under 200 bucks......

how many more posts worth of arguing should we do?

peace

steve (who thinks that "out of the box" shouldnt be used to camouflage bad advice)

You know what Steve. I dont think I attacked you - I don't know how what I said came off that badly, or why you think I would want to steer Harry so wrongly. I don't think we even changed ONE post of arguing (other than this one), but you seem to....

The "think outside the box" wasn't a slam agasint you -- It was one of Gary Fisher's slogans when he was making and promoting 29 inch wheels on MTBs a number of years ago, they still make them.

I wasn't giving bad advice, or trying to.

That was an asshole response to a friendly non-confrontational post, Don't sign off with *peace* when that the furthest thing from you mind.

You were about as peaceful as a constipated porcipine.

NOT peace (to you anyway)
ed

#17395 - 12/06/05 04:46 AM Re: Wheel upgrade [Re: edk]
schwortz Offline
enthusiast

classic....

so i'm an asshole and you're some guy who was just minding your own business when i came along and bludgeoned you with my optical mouse?

please....your post reads with the same attitude as mine does....god forbid anyone should be anything less than kiss your ass friendly to everyone who proclaims themselves an expert on the worldwideweb......yes i called your advice bad because thats what i thought it was.....people tell me i'm wrong all the time dude, i dont call them assholes....sometimes i even agree with them after i think it about some more.....but i didnt agree with you so i'm an asshole....i get it...

its called dialogue, debate, arguing, whatever....i'm not the one calling anyone names....look in the mirror dude.....dont take this so seriously....

i signed off the way i usually sign off to people.....you use it to create some attack...great...congratulations...

you could always just ask evan to ban me....
peace
steve

#17396 - 12/06/05 05:22 PM Update [Re: schwortz]
pitfall Offline
old hand

First of all, are we going to have a cage match between Ed and Steve?

After some advice from here (thanks to all) and elsewhere, I am doing a few things. First, I'm upgrading the entire drivetrain since with those crap components once I change one thing, the rest won't work. I'm also switching to a much bigger chainring, 48 vs 42. Not going with bigger wheels at this point but I might make the old schwinn a project and perhaps go single, fixie, or both. That's just a thought for now but the way the road salt is killing my cables, I might as well have a winter beater if I'm going to be doing any around town riding. No sense trashing my guilded turd.

The more I think about it speed isn't a huge issue at this point since my usual ride is around 9.3-12.5 each way. That ride does have some hills involved so a single/fixie would be brutal on that ride but I could adjust my route.

What happens next will all depend on the commuting issue but I think making a winter beater and the MTB drivetrain upgrade from low, low end truvative cranks to lx (along with xt/lx derailleurs) will make me happy for now. Wheels will wait (thanks steve). Once I start riding trails more, it's time for a new fork but that can wait.

I think when it comes down to speed, my biggest problem is the extra tonage I'm carrying these days but that's another story.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored