Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (Rickster, 1 invisible), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#17626 - 01/05/06 03:41 PM Ice biking
stimpy Offline
Site Supporter

Does anyone else have ice tires for their mtn. bike? I made a pair of studded tires with roofing nails. I prepunched holes through the center of the knobs, pushed the nails in from inside. I used an old tubular tire, cut the stitching open, laid it out flat to use as a liner. Once the tire was inflated, I cut the roofing nails down to about 1/4 inch with a bolt cutter. It's a lot of work, but you only have to do it once.

I know IRC made studded tires, but they had very few studs. My tires have 200 nails each and work great. They get dull after a while because the nails are aluminum, but they can be sharpened with a dremmel.

The window for ice biking is pretty short. You have to have a solidly frozen lake, but with little or no snow on it. Or you could just find a nice wind scoured lake like Cascade.

The best time I had with them was a bunch of years ago in Mohonk. There was snow followed by rain, then a freeze. The carriage roads were a skating rink. I rode from the steel bridge to the Mtn. House. Rode through the Mtn. House grounds on a bulletproof crust over undulating snow (heehee). Was just dying to have Security come after me, but I think they knew better. Then up the stairs to Skytop. I was zooming downhill and railing around turns next to death drops on solid ice with more traction then you ever get on dirt. Too much F*%#&g fun. Oh, and those instep crampons work great so you don't bust your ass if you put a foot down.

#17627 - 01/05/06 10:23 PM Re: Ice biking [Re: stimpy]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
Quote:

Does anyone else have ice tires for their mtn. bike? I made a pair of studded tires with roofing nails. I prepunched holes through the center of the knobs, pushed the nails in from inside. I used an old tubular tire, cut the stitching open, laid it out flat to use as a liner. Once the tire was inflated, I cut the roofing nails down to about 1/4 inch with a bolt cutter. It's a lot of work, but you only have to do it once.

I know IRC made studded tires, but they had very few studs. My tires have 200 nails each and work great. They get dull after a while because the nails are aluminum, but they can be sharpened with a dremmel.

The window for ice biking is pretty short. You have to have a solidly frozen lake, but with little or no snow on it. Or you could just find a nice wind scoured lake like Cascade.

The best time I had with them was a bunch of years ago in Mohonk. There was snow followed by rain, then a freeze. The carriage roads were a skating rink. I rode from the steel bridge to the Mtn. House. Rode through the Mtn. House grounds on a bulletproof crust over undulating snow (heehee). Was just dying to have Security come after me, but I think they knew better. Then up the stairs to Skytop. I was zooming downhill and railing around turns next to death drops on solid ice with more traction then you ever get on dirt. Too much F*%#&g fun. Oh, and those instep crampons work great so you don't bust your ass if you put a foot down.

I nominate this for best troll of the year. Seriously, if it is true that sounds great. My wife was asking me if they made chains for bikes - I think you could fit them in the rims, that would seem more practical than spikes.

Have you seen those new "crampon/grippers"? They look like some elastic metal thing that you put on your shoe. I bet that's similar.

I wonder if you did laps on lake mohonk if it would cause you to make a circular crack in the ice and break through?

Dana

#17628 - 01/06/06 01:22 PM Re: Ice biking [Re: Fraser]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
This is an amazing troll, but at its heart it's true.

I'd recommend sheet metal screws. They're great. Somebody did make chains, but they sucked. When I was at school, everybody had their spikey tires for winter.

#17629 - 01/06/06 02:30 PM Re: Ice biking [Re: crackers]
stimpy Offline
Site Supporter

#17630 - 01/06/06 03:11 PM Re: Ice biking [Re: stimpy]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I think they're all jealous of you Mike.

For the doubters out there, you might want to take a look at http://www.icebike.org/ and http://www.pistehors.com/resorts/northern/huez-vtt.htm (the second site totally supports the use of screws).

Edited to note that you won't find me near any of that nasty hard slippery stuff - it's just for putting in drinks. And screws are for holding ankles together.

Edited by GeeVee (01/06/06 03:12 PM)

#17631 - 01/06/06 04:07 PM Re: Ice biking [Re: GeeVee]
stimpy Offline
Site Supporter

In a staggering coincidence, the ice bikers on that site are Polish.

Q: How come Polish people drink their Vodka straight up and not on the rocks?
A: Polish scientists lost the formula for ice cubes!

I guess I'm just going to have to drag my bike out to Cascade lakes. Maybe some gawking touristas will cause a huge pile up on the highway.

#17632 - 01/17/06 07:07 AM Re: Ice biking [Re: stimpy]
schwortz Offline
enthusiast

http://www.schwalbetires.com/mtb_spike.php

the snow studs work great...i imagine the ice spikers work even better

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored