Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#17730 - 01/14/06 05:06 AM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: chazman]
raelian Offline

Loc: Jersey City
Company's original post from last week on Rock Climb.com

"The Silver brazed connections on Aliens are made by experienced ,skilled people who take great care in the quality of the braze. The accusations being made on this site are quite serious .
An examination by a certified metallurgical lab on the device in question is necessary in order to prove or disprove the claims made regarding alleged failure of the brazed connection. Without an actual report by a lab we will assume this is a staged hoax.
The cable on a 1.5 orange alien will hold over 3500 pounds, far more force than a falling climber could ever generate. When tested on a machine the cable will break ,not pull out of the cable eye.
David Waggoner at CCH"

????

#17731 - 01/14/06 07:30 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: raelian]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
This really has to be one of the worst PR gaffes ever. And meanwhile, in spite of their statement that:

There will be a photograph on our web site to help to identify the cams that need to be returned. The Web site address: Aliencamsbycch.com

I just checked the site and these's still no mention of the recall. Truly disappointing, from a company whose products so many people on this site have held in such high esteem.

#17732 - 01/15/06 09:52 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: GeeVee]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Here is some additional information from CCH:

"[CCH], 115 Lyon St. Laramie, WY 82072
Phone (307)721-9385 Fax (307) 721-9375

Since the report on Rock Climbing.com regarding a cable pullout on an orange Alien was posted, i have done extensive testing to determine if a problem does exist. I have found that there are faulty brazes on some cams. The cable eyes brazed by a contractor are marked with a small center punch dimple at the base of the round ball where the axle goes through the eye. Please return any Aliens with this mark to CCH for replacement. We apologize for this QA lapse and we are doing everything possible to correct the problem. Most units effected in this recall are 1.5, 2 and 2.5 but a smaller number of other sizes have also come from the contractor. CCH has always work[ed] hard to assure the absolute quality of every cam, so this revelation is very unfortunate.

Sincerely:
David Waggoner"

#17733 - 01/15/06 09:57 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: GeeVee]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
From the response at CCH, it seems that the legend is true: a company of a few climbers, making a good product, with little regard for anything more than enough money to keep climbing. These are not your typical bussinessmen, and are likely in over their heads for a situation like this. Makes you appreciate what a stellar company Black Diamond and others really are, regardless of whether you like a particular product they make or not.

#17734 - 01/15/06 10:45 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: chip]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

From the response at CCH, it seems that the legend is true: a company of a few climbers, making a good product, with little regard for anything more than enough money to keep climbing. These are not your typical bussinessmen, and are likely in over their heads for a situation like this. Makes you appreciate what a stellar company Black Diamond and others really are, regardless of whether you like a particular product they make or not.

And if I were BD right now, I would be sending some fairly seniorish business people knocking on CCH's door to understand how we could "help" CCH out of this unfortunate situation.

#17735 - 01/16/06 01:15 AM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: strat]
Steven Cherry Offline

veteran

Loc: New York, N.Y.
And if I were BD right now, I would be sending some fairly seniorish business people knocking on CCH's door to understand how we could "help" CCH out of this unfortunate situation.

I had the same thought, and as far as I'm concerned, it would be an ideal solution.

#17736 - 01/16/06 03:33 AM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: Steven Cherry]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Not a good fit from BD's perspective I think. They just sunk a bunch of R&D in developing their own small cams. I'd vote for Trango or Omega to come in.

#17737 - 01/16/06 03:06 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: Mike Rawdon]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
We were joking about this last week. I thought Petzl would be a good match since they have hardware but no cams.

Someone said CCH's patent expires next year. I don't remember reading anything about that, but if it's true, would it be worth it just to get the name?

#17738 - 01/16/06 03:54 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: quanto_the_mad]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

We were joking about this last week. I thought Petzl would be a good match since they have hardware but no cams.

Someone said CCH's patent expires next year. I don't remember reading anything about that, but if it's true, would it be worth it just to get the name?

The design is what's "worth it" in my opinion. The value of the 'brand', at this moment, is on the decline, I would say.

Mike- all the more reason for BD to tie up the alien design rather than letting it go to a competitor- come on, have you forgotten everything from your "Standard Oil" days

#17739 - 01/16/06 04:53 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: strat]
raelian Offline

Loc: Jersey City
CHH was aware of this problem in October according to California's version of gunks.com

One post on Oct. 9 said

"I work at a shop in Truckee CA and have had 2 customers bring in orange aliens with the same problem. I called CCH and they stated that "we are uncomfortable discussing the problem"...."

See this link if interested.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=105618&f=0&b=0

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored