Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 3 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#17720 - 01/12/06 08:26 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: dalguard]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
I got a call too. Very good on R&S's part

#17721 - 01/12/06 09:05 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: dalguard]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Here's a link to a picture of the dimple, posted in the MGEAR thread, page 10 at rc.com

http://eyecannon.com/aliendefect.jpg

Edited by quanto_the_mad (01/12/06 09:07 PM)

#17722 - 01/12/06 10:36 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: quanto_the_mad]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
so its that tiny little dimple underneath the bulb part?
i wish i remembered where i got my orange alien. its fairly new

#17723 - 01/13/06 01:53 AM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: CrackBoy]
ShakesALot Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NJ
Below is a rc ref to a post from CCH with more info on returns etc...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/104853

I haven't been contacted by R&S, maybe they just haven't got to the Y's yet!

#17724 - 01/13/06 05:21 AM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: ShakesALot]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Here is a copy of the recall letter. The picture of the center punch dimple they mention is not yet on their web site.

Colorado Custom Hardware, (CCH) has recently completed an investigation and extensive testing to identify and isolate safety issues concerning the brazing on CCH Alien cams. The safety of our customers is our number one priority.
Testing has revealed that there was a brazing issue with specific cams made after November 2004. The units to be identified are marked with a small center punch dimple at the base of the round ball where the axle goes through the cable eye. Although few failures have been reported, CCH recommends immediately discontinuing the use of any Aliens with this mark. CCH is recalling the cams with the identifying punch mark. Please return them to CCH for a new replacement unit. You can mail your cams to:
Colorado Custom Hardware, Inc
ATTN: Brazing Recall
115 E. Lyon St
Laramie, WY 82072
If you are not sure if your cams are included in the recall, please contact us at
(307)721-9385.
We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and we are doing everything possible to correct it quickly. There will be a photograph on our web site to help to identify the cams that need to be returned. The Web site address: Aliencamsbycch.com
Sincerely,
Colorado Custom Hardware, Inc
115 E. Lyon St
Laramie, WY 82072

#17725 - 01/13/06 03:16 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: rg@ofmc]
Newman Offline
stranger

Hello,
We have called or emailed everyone who has placed a web order or special order (meaning we had their contact information) and emailed everyone on our mailing list. Beyond that, we've posted recall notices in our shop and have made an effort to tell every customer possible (we didn't tell the cross country skiier who was buying socks).
It would be helpful if you could pass this information on to those climbers out there who don't have a computer.
If you have any questions regarding the recall, feel free to contact us.
While this situation is unfortunate, it is important to remeber that almost every company we deal with has issued recalls on their products.
This situation stresses the importance of dialogue within the community - thanks for helping to spread the news.
Mike Newman
Rock & Snow

#17726 - 01/13/06 03:20 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: rg@ofmc]
chazman Offline
old hand

Go to their website CCH Wouldn't you expect some mention of this defect / recall? I can't find anything on their website... a little odd in my opinion. I notice if you click the QUALITY link you get a broken link... almost a bad joke concerning their quality standards (which isn't so funny if someone dies on one of these things). I could never see buying gear from this company.

#17727 - 01/13/06 03:26 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: chazman]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA

#17728 - 01/13/06 03:37 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: d-elvis]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
that's not cch's website. cch has something like http://aliencamsbycch.com/ as their website...

strange isn't it?

I'm glad that the guys at R&S are doing such a proactive and thorough job at informing the local community. That is exactly the kind of effort that I've come to expect from R&S and why they remain one of my favorite gear stores in the world.

I wonder if somebody's posted something at the Uberfall. Although, i wonder what language you'd have to speak not to hear about this...

#17729 - 01/13/06 03:40 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: d-elvis]
chazman Offline
old hand

Quote:

http://www.aliencams.com/recall.html

You found this link on their website? I can't find it. Is this some page they put out to cover their ass that is just floating on the web that you would need to specifically google "failed climbing cams" to locate? Boy , this company gives me the warm fuzzy

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored