Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#17740 - 01/16/06 05:05 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: raelian]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
No. The older posts in that thread concern a different defect. Only the newer posts are about the latest more serious and less detectable defect.

#17741 - 01/16/06 06:17 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: Mark Heyman]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
The older posts in that thread concern a different defect.

A different defect but the response from CCH would appear to reflect a consistent lack of concern for the customer.

#17742 - 01/16/06 06:54 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: GeeVee]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I hate this. It gets my sphincter all puckered just thinking about it.

#17743 - 01/16/06 08:25 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: Mark Heyman]
raelian Offline

Loc: Jersey City
Yes, my mistake. The October discussion concerned an entirely different problem with the product.

#17744 - 01/17/06 01:06 AM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: raelian]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Which CCH didn't handle any better, and makes me feel even less secure about their product.

The actuality is that they completely ignored obvious QC problems and even tried to ignore a complete failure of an Alien until a web mob formed on RC. The outcome we know was that mgear tested some Aliens and got poor enough results to have them pulled from their and REIs web site immediately. As I see it, the climbing community really owes mgear some loyalty.

Edited by Mark Heyman (01/17/06 01:12 AM)

#17745 - 01/17/06 01:19 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: Mark Heyman]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
As I see it, the climbing community really owes mgear some loyalty.

Yeah, I just ordered the smallest Trango Max Cam from them. I had been thinking about getting a red alien, but...

On another note, all my aliens are relatively old and experienced (youngest one born in '02). Does anyone think I should be concerned?

#17746 - 01/17/06 01:44 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: intrepid02]
talus Offline
veteran

aliens had their cams done by an outside engineer. in his process he was quinching the cams after brazing. which means he was placing the cam in a water solution to rapidly cool the part. this type of method should never be used for brazing parts. the part will not get a good bond between braze alloy and housing.

the outside engineer marked all his cams with a dot (hardness tester), so if your cams do not have the dot your cams are ok.

#17747 - 01/17/06 02:31 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: intrepid02]
GymClimbingPoser Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Logan, UT
Quote:

On another note, all my aliens are relatively old and experienced (youngest one born in '02). Does anyone think I should be concerned?

All of my aliens are pretty old as well and by now I must've fallen on all of them at least once (okay maybe a dozen times for my yellow). I figure that's all I need to know. I am going to check out my new green though, and I don't know about buying new ones, which is a shame because I was recently thinking about doubling a couple of sizes (and I hate metolius cams).

#17748 - 01/17/06 05:32 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: GymClimbingPoser]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
i had my grey alien with the dimple. luckily i actually remembered where i got it from, it was a gift from REI,

I broughtit to the store, and they had no aliens on the shelves, but the people in the returns/customer service, didn't find any recall memo on them, so I doubt how widespread this info is.

#17749 - 01/17/06 05:37 PM Re: ALIEN FAILURE [Re: GymClimbingPoser]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

I don't know about buying new ones, which is a shame because I was recently thinking about doubling a couple of sizes

Ditto. I have recently replaced a few small Metolius cams with Zeros because R&S doidn't have the Aliens I wanted. Since then I decided I would add new Aliens this spring. That won't happen this year.

How ironic. CCH has managed to create a scenario where the older more tested your units are the more sure you might be that they are safe. The units on my rack are probably ten years old.

Edited by Mark Heyman (01/17/06 05:40 PM)

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored