Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#17856 - 01/28/06 11:06 PM Spring Farm (& other Gunks "BC")
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz
I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to explore the Spring Farm Road areaon my tele setup. Cover was REALLY thin (read: semi-nonexistent), but thats what January in the Northeast can throw you.

It was more fun then I expected. I think that if your expectations are low, you can have as much fun as you want. Thats the lesson I learned today.

Anyway here are some pictures, for what there worth...

Can't wait to get up there with some snow!!

Where else is good to making turns on the ridge?

Edited by TimTheClimber (01/29/06 01:50 AM)

#17857 - 01/30/06 05:06 PM Re: Spring Farm (& other Gunks "BC") [Re: TimTheClimber]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Wow, look at those amazing low-altitude sun cups

I don't know where else, but if you ever try out one of the old ski areas (like Ski Minne upslope from Peters Kill, and rumor has it there is one out behind Bonticou? Maybe that's the one you did?) let us know.

I did some hiking up near Ski Minne used to be this summer and it did look a bit brushy. Might take a lot of cover to make it skiable.

#17858 - 01/30/06 08:32 PM Re: Spring Farm (& other Gunks "BC") [Re: pedestrian]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Ski Minne is the slope that still has remnants of cable from the tows laying around when you get down towards the creek?

#17859 - 01/30/06 09:46 PM Re: Spring Farm (& other Gunks "BC") [Re: GeeVee]
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz
Hmmm just found these... looks interesting. As soon as theres snow I'll check it out.

http://www.lakeminnewaska.org/albums/scenicminnewaska/skiminne.jpg

http://www.skiinghistoryinnewyork.com/Ski%20Minne.jpg

Edited by TimTheClimber (01/30/06 09:50 PM)

#17860 - 01/30/06 11:03 PM Re: Spring Farm (& other Gunks "BC") [Re: TimTheClimber]
Kevin Offline
enthusiast

If you click on the gallery page for that website, they do have some pics of the old ski area which is just south of the Bonticou crag.

Bonticou Bonticou

#17861 - 01/31/06 12:01 AM Re: Spring Farm (& other Gunks "BC") [Re: Kevin]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

yeah, come to think of it, the old preserve visitor center was in the former bonticou ski lodge. one of the ski runs was pointed out to me once, back when the old visitor center was still active, but I'm not sure how the ski trail could have ended up back at the lodge... seemed to run down the other side. these days, if you're hiking to bonticou, you'll start from a completely different trailhead than you would have in the days of the old visitor center.

Edited by pedestrian (01/31/06 12:01 AM)

#17862 - 01/31/06 03:24 PM Re: Spring Farm (& other Gunks "BC") [Re: Kevin]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Wow, what a horrendous website, I haven't seen a website that bad in a long time. Interesting info if you can just ignore the miserable design.

#17863 - 01/31/06 03:29 PM Re: Spring Farm (& other Gunks "BC") [Re: GeeVee]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:

Ski Minne is the slope that still has remnants of cable from the tows laying around when you get down towards the creek?

I believe so; you can also find remnants of the top end of the old ski tow if you walk uphill from the path starting at the far end of the Peters Kill parking lot.

#17864 - 01/31/06 03:51 PM Re: Spring Farm (& other Gunks "BC") [Re: pedestrian]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

Quote:

I believe so; you can also find remnants of the top end of the old ski tow if you walk uphill from the path starting at the far end of the Peters Kill parking lot.

Ah yes, more formalized hypocrisy. We rock climbers must walk on eggshells lest we lose our climbing privilege for disturbing a fern here or there, while 50 meters away sit a few tons of concrete and steel amidst acres of denuded former forest.

#17865 - 01/31/06 04:36 PM Re: Spring Farm (& other Gunks "BC") [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Kevin Offline
enthusiast

I know... It took a while to try to figure it out; the site that is... Some interesting pics once you can get to them.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored