Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17912 - 01/31/06 08:05 PM The Middle of Your Rope
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Metolius' new "Monster Ropes", shown at the OR show in SLT, have a day glow thread sewn through the middle and 10m from each end. Cool.

#17913 - 01/31/06 10:18 PM Re: The Middle of Your Rope [Re: d-elvis]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Cool enough, but I'm not sure the marks 10m from each end are worthwhile. They just add confusion.

#17914 - 01/31/06 11:43 PM Re: The Middle of Your Rope [Re: Julie]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Cool enough, but I'm not sure the marks 10m from each end are worthwhile. They just add confusion.

Not when you're leading, you're 40' above your last piece, and where you think the belay (and anchors) might be seems to be just about 30' away, and you call down to your partner "How much rope!??!" Wander around on some of the blank expanses of Glacier Point Apron or up on one of the Tuolumne domes or some of the old school routes at Courtright Reservoir and you'll quickly see how handy those 10m marks are!

#17915 - 02/01/06 12:12 AM Re: The Middle of Your Rope [Re: Julie]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Confusion? How much does this little feature add to the price? Is it worth it?

#17916 - 02/01/06 12:42 AM Re: The Middle of Your Rope [Re: oenophore]
Ethan Offline

Remember when we marked the middle of our ropes with magic marker?
And the "big discussion" was "Did the ink damage the nylon"?
So you paid extra for a Blue Water Rope Marker which was just a regular Magic Marker anyway.
And the friggin mark wore off after a few routes.

Hee hee.....the good ole days.

Ethan

#17917 - 02/01/06 01:54 AM Re: The Middle of Your Rope [Re: MarcC]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Of course, that's the point. But, you're only estimating the amount of climbing left to go, and your belayer usually estimates the amount of rope left anyway. It's not like either of you is eyeless or brainless.

However, when threading a short rap, three marks *are* confusing - was that the middle, or the 10m? Alternately, maybe your second is clueless, and calls out "10m!" when you stil have a half rope to go. Or say you want to pick up the middle from a pile of rope, to butterfly it - but wait, there are 3 marks now, which one's the middle?

To me it feels like those stupid cams that have colored dots to indicate whether a placement is good or not. Note that they're also from Metolius. Over-engineered, mind-numbing.

#17918 - 02/01/06 11:21 AM Re: The Middle of Your Rope [Re: Julie]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
However, when threading a short rap, three marks *are* confusing - was that the middle, or the 10m? Alternately, maybe your second is clueless, and calls out "10m!" when you stil have a half rope to go. Or say you want to pick up the middle from a pile of rope, to butterfly it - but wait, there are 3 marks now, which one's the middle?

If the middle threads and ten-meter threads were of different colors, that would solve that problem.

#17919 - 02/01/06 01:50 PM Re: The Middle of Your Rope [Re: oenophore]
fallenglass Offline
enthusiast

Loc: cornwall
i got a new mammut rope last year that came with big black middle and end marks -- the middle is marked with two big black stripes, while the ends are marked with a single stripe -- not confusing at all. i even like it better than my old bi-color duodess rope.

the metolius middle mark looks like a core shot or something ... like the rope's bloody guts are about to pour out

#17920 - 02/01/06 03:18 PM Re: The Middle of Your Rope [Re: Julie]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Quote:

LoL... have a little faith in product design and testing.

The only problem is if they don't standardize. My rope might be marked 10m from the end, my friends rope marked 15m. My other partner had to cut 3m from one end of his rope... so how much rope is left?

#17921 - 02/01/06 06:22 PM Re: The Middle of Your Rope [Re: quanto_the_mad]
D75 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holiday Inn Express
To avoid mind-numbing confusion and over-engineering, I think they should mark the pointy end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored