Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#18125 - 02/10/06 03:34 PM YosemiteBum.com
GymClimbingPoser Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Logan, UT
Anyone ever use Yosemite Bum Resoles? Their prices are really low, I think because they're affiliated with Evolv and only use that company's rubber; Trax. Anyone ever use Trax? I'm not that particular about my rubber, but I would like to know if Trax totally blows before I spend $250 on resoles.
Thanks!

#18126 - 02/10/06 03:37 PM Re: YosemiteBum.com [Re: GymClimbingPoser]
mworking Offline
old hand

$250 on resoles.

Error? $25?

I am partial to La Sportva and Megabyte (a bit softer) rubber myself, hated Boreal (hard - a long time ago though). 5.10 was soft and sticky didn't edge as well and wore fast too. Have never used the newest 5.10 extra soft stuff.

Edited by mworking (02/10/06 03:42 PM)

#18127 - 02/10/06 03:39 PM Re: YosemiteBum.com [Re: mworking]
GymClimbingPoser Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Logan, UT
No, I have a lot of shoes

#18128 - 02/10/06 03:57 PM Re: YosemiteBum.com [Re: GymClimbingPoser]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
Why not just try it one pair rather than commit to resoling all of your shoes with an unknown rubber by an unknown company?

#18129 - 02/10/06 05:05 PM Re: YosemiteBum.com [Re: GymClimbingPoser]
mworking Offline
old hand

I wouldn’t send more than 1 pair of shoes to any resoler that I didn’t already think highly of.

Now that I think about it I have had a pair of Evolves on my feet. Saw them at my gym and they looked good for rental shoes. Only gave them a 3 second chance cause I thought they s..ked, rubber and shoe.

Again my advice is that if you are tempted, try the pair you care least about first. I have had several pairs of shoes changed or ruined by resolers, and my experience is not all that uncommon. Recently I had a pair damaged at a resoler who had previous done better work for me.

Best recent work for me has been at Rubber Room – last year.

#18130 - 02/10/06 05:16 PM Re: YosemiteBum.com [Re: mworking]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
i have heard he does excellent resoles. but its a matter if yo like the rubber or not.

i just got a pair of their new slippers. first impression of the rubber is that it is taking a while to break in past the slippery new stage. i am taking them outside on sunday and i will let you know how they fare.

if you are set on c4 or other, i have heard boulder resoles or whatever it is, does good work too

#18131 - 02/11/06 01:16 AM Re: YosemiteBum.com [Re: CrackBoy]
caver Offline
enthusiast

Loc: High Falls
A climbing buddy of mine-who works at Minniwaska, just got his shoes back from the Yos. Bum and was raving about how fast the service was and how inexpensive they were...15 bucks a pair!! On the other hand he did admit they only do evolve rubber-which can't be that bad right? I just got my mythos back from Faroutsports (soleman) in MA. He uses what is on the shoe usually (C-4 stealth on mine) but the catch is he's not cheap-30 apair if they don't need anything else (mine needed rand repair 8 bucks more!) plus they took 5 weeks to get back to me, that's why I did it now...so I can't really give him a good review, I know there've been other threads on this subject (still in the archives?) Good Luck- and buyer beware!

#18132 - 02/11/06 02:03 AM Re: YosemiteBum.com [Re: caver]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
I've used the Soleman twice and Yosemite Bum once.

Of the two pairs the Soleman did, one was excellent, the other I had problems with.

I sent two pairs in to Yosemite Bum at the same time. They both came back about 1/2 a size larger. A little disappointing, I must say, but not the end of the world. Good turn-around time. As I used them, I had no problems with delamination at all. The rubber was an issue though. It was plenty sticky, but one trip to pocketed limestone (with some sharp pockets) and the rubber was shredded.

Of course I kept climbing on them anyway. So two months later, they look like this:

GO

#18133 - 02/14/06 05:23 PM Re: YosemiteBum.com [Re: GymClimbingPoser]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
I've used Yosemite Bum for 3 pairs of shoes, and I'm quite happy with them. He is the recommended resoler out here. Evolv rubber is just a tad stickier, once you get past the break-in glassy stage, and softer than C4. On the contrary, Soleman just about ruined the one pair of Kauks I sent him.

NB, I just picked up a pair of 5.10 shoes on sale b/c 5.ten is coming out with a new rubber this spring.

#18134 - 02/14/06 07:00 PM Re: YosemiteBum.com [Re: Julie]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
my initial impression is that the rubber is pretty good (trax) I used my new slippers this sunday and thought they handled the rock pretty well.

the rubber does appear to take a lot longer to break in then what i was used to with my 5.10 shoes.

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored