Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#18309 - 03/06/06 04:41 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: d-elvis]
D75 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holiday Inn Express
My bet - Large dog is the most likely match if / when the photo(s) are posted.

#18310 - 03/06/06 05:35 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: D75]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

If you were on preserve land, you shoul definitley notify the preserve. They will probably be interested to study the area.

And definitely try to post the pictures here. I know nothing about tracks, but I would like to see the cougar tracks. I also am glad to see more evidence that there are wild cats back up in the area. Very cool.

*Thread Drift Alert*

When I was in JTree, I thought I hear a wild cat outside rummaging, and my guides told me that, though there weren't a lot of them, they were definitely out there. They said to wake them up if I heard it again. Well - the next night - I heard it!!! And, some pots and pans being banged around too! I was so scared....I whispered over to the next tent - "Marty! Marty!!!"(yes, our own Marty Molitorus) but all I got back was "zzzzzzssssnnnnooooorrrrrrreeeeeeee....zzzzzz." So, I fell back asleep.

A few days later - I heard the mountain lion again - this time, in BROAD daylight!!!

"GROWCCCHWWXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWL"

Yes - really!

It sounded like it was coming RIGHT on the road in front of my campsite!

So, I turned and looked - and THERE HE WAS!!!!

But, it wan't a mountain lion after all. It was a dirtbag camper from down the way. With a very odd throat clearing problem.

#18311 - 03/06/06 05:35 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: irisharehere]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I think she'd make great bait..........

Your wife or the dog?

#18312 - 03/06/06 08:04 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: Terrie]
fallenglass Offline
enthusiast

Loc: cornwall
my wife and i saw a bobcat very cose to our campsite in jtree once -- it stared at us for like a whole minute -- then it slowly turned around and with a swoosh of its tail it was gone ...

i recall an article in the times a year or two ago about some guys in the adirondaks who were convinced that there were mountain lions up there -- but the dec and other authorities pooh-poohed the idea and said that it was impossible.

#18313 - 03/06/06 08:19 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: fallenglass]
Timbo Online   content
addict

Loc: Delaware
Quote:

i recall an article in the times a year or two ago about some guys in the adirondaks who were convinced that there were mountain lions up there -- but the dec and other authorities pooh-poohed the idea and said that it was impossible.

Which is exactly what the local officials in Delaware said for several years, until one got videotaped. Then they said it was just a stray that had escaped from captivity.

About 10 years and numerous verified sightings later they still claim there is no native population. Number and locations of verified sightings and local geography might suggest otherwise.

TS

#18314 - 03/06/06 08:45 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: D75]
talus Offline
veteran

d75 not even close to a dog print. i know better

if you ever heard a mountain lion or bob cat it's a very scary sound. sounds like a women screaming.

the thing about big cats it's very rare to see them out in the wild. when i worked in the vet lab out in wyoming i was lucky to see a mountain lion there close up.

Edited by talus (03/06/06 08:50 PM)

#18315 - 03/06/06 09:17 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: talus]
ranger hank Offline

-Hi-
I work as a ranger at the Preserve-very interested in your photos if you would like to share them-can definately get them IDd' as well by wildlife folks at DEC call me at the Preserve if you like-BTW this would not be the first Mt. lion on the ridge in modern times.
-hank alicandri-

#18316 - 03/06/06 10:12 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: fallenglass]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

my wife and i saw a bobcat very cose to our campsite in jtree once -- it stared at us for like a whole minute -- then it slowly turned around and with a swoosh of its tail it was gone ...

Bobcats don't really have enough tail to "swoosh".

As for the gov't denying the cats' return, of course they will deny it. To do otherwise would put the burgeoning population at great risk from poachers. There have been occasional (always unconfirmed) mt lion sightings in the ADKs for 30 yr or more.

#18317 - 03/06/06 10:28 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: Mike Rawdon]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
So what's a confirmed mountain lion sighting? Where the cat comes out afterwards and says, "yeah, you got me"?

#18318 - 03/06/06 10:57 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: dalguard]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

So what's a confirmed mountain lion sighting? Where the cat comes out afterwards and says, "yeah, you got me"?

I think it goes by degrees;
Third degree - photograph
Second degree - physical evidence (fur, scat)
First degree - a body

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored