Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#18359 - 03/13/06 02:08 AM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: chip]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Sorry, I missed some of this thread and didn't realize there was positive ID.
Butch LeFevre and I were very friendly during the time he was tracking this cat. He had on at least 20 occaisions found that the cat had evaded him seeing it, even with night goggles, when he had passed within 50 feet.
I agree that a big cat scream is something you won't forget. I've seen very large coyotes in the Catskills, compared to those I've seen out west. They looked real well fed for wild animals.

#18360 - 03/13/06 02:33 AM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: D75]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Talus's posted track look just like my dogs, not like the coyte tracks posted here.

Last summer there was a roaming black bear down here in SJ. I later heard that they had been realeased here a few years ago, though whatever agency did it will not acknowlege it.

Edited by Mark Heyman (03/13/06 02:34 AM)

#18361 - 03/13/06 02:11 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: Mark Heyman]
talus Offline
veteran

in response to andy. naturalist big whoop. paranoia has nothing to do with it dude, check yourself for paranoia with your fear of snakes, tigers, getting the sniffles, and have pebbles fall of the cliff. i'm 34 now and been hunting since i was 12 and all the times i've been in the woods alone i was never scared and that includes being right next to bears. this has been the only time i was ever scared. and a cat will come out from any direction not directly behind sorry cats think differently from the creepy guy in the woods.

#18362 - 03/15/06 10:27 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: talus]
Spiderman Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Long Island N.Y.
The two I saw where light gray/ gray in color with big bushy tails ( not a small Wile E. Coyote variety ) It is the norm that they will avoid humans caution should still be taken with children, they can be more aggressive in a pack. When they are accustoming to human sent this will decrease their fear of humans. In the Gunks and surrounding area human sent is prevalent. As said before by several people they are no big deal, although we should be aware of this; just as a pack of feral dogs can be dangerous so can a pack of coyotes under the right circumstances.

Big cats are another thing they will drag off pets some big dogs, and small children.

OK So I made this last sentence up, from urban /rural legend, but it sounds good.

All in all the wilder the better!!

#18363 - 03/15/06 10:36 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: Spiderman]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
Look at cougarinfo.com for information on attacks. They're serious beasties...

#18364 - 03/15/06 11:15 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: crackers]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
I'm still offering up my wife's ankle-biter as bait! What could resist 20lbs of fresh, well-fed Lhasa Apso?

#18365 - 06/16/06 05:27 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: irisharehere]
talus Offline
veteran

mountain lions in NJ

vernon nj to new paltz 61 miles. mtn lions can travel up to 35 miles in 1 day

meow

Edited by talus (06/16/06 05:32 PM)

#18366 - 07/05/06 07:05 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: talus]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Q: is there a difference between bobcat and mountain lion screams?

the house is right on the Wallkill up here in shawangunk and have heard some ungodly noises at night in the woods right near the house as have people renting the house from me as well. this has not really happened recently but several times over the years. after talking to a lot of people I figured it was bobcat but now I'm not so sure...

one of the guys at work who hunts actually played me a tape recording of supposedly bobcat it matched up pretty well. glad I now have a shotgun for a wee bit of protection... just grab it and shoot self in foot and that will distract me from any damn noise LOL

Edited by phlan (07/06/06 04:04 PM)

#18367 - 07/05/06 07:39 PM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: phlan]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I've had up close and personal encounters with bobcat, lynx and cougar, but never heard the cougar scream up close. The former two will certainly wake you with a start and "ungodly" is about the best descriptor I can think of. There are healthy populations of lynx higher up in the catskills but probably not near you unless they are hurt/sick or otherwise impaired. My money would be on bobcat, which are very unlikely to bother you.

#18368 - 08/28/06 12:07 AM Re: by yourself be careful [Re: chip]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored