Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (wivanov, 1 invisible), 8 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#18414 - 03/08/06 02:35 AM Leather is cold!
acdnyc Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NYC/Kerhonkson
Had my first really scary experience the other day in Wyoming. No, I wasn't hunting with good'ole Dick. I was ice climbing in -10F temps. I was wearing my trusty La Sportiva Napal Extremes and we hiked for 11/2 hours. We got to the base of the climb and I belayed first. My toes hurt but by the time I got to the top of the first pitch I couldn't feel a toe. After about an hour of warming my toes on my climbing partners stomach and discussing the social/political ramifications of "Broken Back Mountain" on the Jackson Hole area I decided that I want to go back to Plastic or other double boot option. I like my toes.
Lots of new stuff out there. Looking for warmth and lite. How are the Alpha's or these new leather/synth doubles?

#18415 - 03/08/06 01:51 PM Re: Leather is cold! [Re: acdnyc]
daryl512 Offline

veteran

Loc: Rochester, NY
The Nepal Extremes should have kept your feet plenty warm. A couple years ago I had experienced the same symptoms with my Nepals. Turns out I had them laced too tight, they didn't feel like they were but after making some adjustments everything was good. Before you give up on these boots fiddle around with the lacing, you may find that a different boot is not needed.

Daryl

#18416 - 03/08/06 02:39 PM Re: Leather is cold! [Re: daryl512]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Same experience, same solution.

#18417 - 03/08/06 09:29 PM Re: Leather is cold! [Re: acdnyc]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Back when I was known to occasionally associate with that cold hard version of water a friend recommended slipping one of those disposable hand warmers into each boot, on the inside of the ankle where the blood vessels are. Worked for me.

#18418 - 03/15/06 06:41 AM Re: Leather is cold! [Re: acdnyc]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
I'll third what Daryl512 and Chip said.
Paul

#18419 - 03/26/06 04:04 AM Re: Leather is cold! [Re: hartmann]
mt10climber Offline

Loc: Grand Junction,Co.
Ditto, Daryl is correct, although he was cold in 40 degree temps...:), same problem same solution. Laced to tight at the instep. Also, in I have thrown in a tow warmer if I know it is going to be a day of long belays. Taking off the crampons will also help keep feet warmer.

#18420 - 03/27/06 08:34 PM Re: Leather is cold! [Re: acdnyc]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Right now the bigger problem for me is that leather is hard to break in.

Why are mountaineering boots so painful and my ski touring boots so comfy?

Hiked up Mount Washington yesterday in a brand new pair of Salomon SM Experts (discontinued and on sale)... developed several different hotspots. Heels, ankle bones, balls of feet.

Do thicker socks (such as the smartwool "mountaineering" sock) help reduce all this friction? At the frequency that I go ice climbing or winter mountain hiking (once or twice a year, when conditions aren't right for alpine ski touring), these boots are never going to get broken in.

#18421 - 03/28/06 05:28 PM Re: Leather is cold! [Re: pedestrian]
Brotch Offline
stranger

Using two pairs of socks has helped reduce blistering for me. A thin liner type sock under the heavier one. I have 2 different types of 'heavier' socks depending on temps.

Also if I haven't worn the boots for awhile and have a longer hike coming up, I will use them on a treadmill several times a couple weeks before the trip. Gives the feet a chance to toughen up.

#18422 - 03/28/06 09:31 PM Re: Leather is cold! [Re: Brotch]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Also if I haven't worn the boots for awhile and have a longer hike coming up, I will use them on a treadmill several times a couple weeks before the trip. Gives the feet a chance to toughen up.

I think the other benefit of doing that - besides the toughening aspect - is that it gives you a chance to figure out what works best (i.e. what's most comfortable and least blister-inducing) in terms of lacing. NOT that I've pulled on my boots in a couple of years (harumph ) but it would always take me a few tries to get the laces just right.

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored