Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#18439 - 03/09/06 06:46 PM Yosemite in mid April?
claytyson Offline

I'm thinking of taking my daughter to CA on her spring break Easter weekend (mid April). Is there still a lot of snow in Yosemite then? I think we might do a couple climbs, but might also hike and camp. I just want a feel for what it will be like weather wise.

-Clay

#18440 - 03/10/06 07:27 PM Re: Yosemite in mid April? [Re: claytyson]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
well right now its cold and snowy.

probably a good chance it will be nice though its a fringe month

my guess is it will really nice during the day and cold in the morning/night since thats the way the weather is in cali.

#18441 - 03/14/06 03:00 PM Re: Yosemite in mid April? [Re: claytyson]
gunkie Offline

Loc: New Hope, PA
Clay,

April can be one of the best times to be in the valley. Not too crowded, most of the desirable climbing gets good sun, and you can get a campsite. They've received a lot of snow at higher elevations [on the rim], so be careful climbing at the base of El Cap. Big chunks of ice come off during the day from the top. Much of it breaks up or even melts before hitting the base, but you'll get 'killer' chunks once in a while. Nonetheless, you'll see plenty of folks on wall routes. Church Bowl, Reeds, and the Cookie are good places to climb that time of year. If you want to climb El Cap base routes, try Moby Dick. The Muir Wall/Magic Mushroom arch above protects this area to some extent. Also try Pine Line [one pitch 5.7] as it sits right at the toe of the buttress below the Nose route and misses all of the falling stuff. As for hiking, you'll encounter snow as you hike toward the rim [i.e. Muir Trail].

Current Weather:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/printable_forecast.php?wfo=hnx&zone=caz096&county=cac043
http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Yosemite_National_Park.html

Try http://www.supertopo.com forum for better information on Yosemite.

Have fun!

#18442 - 03/15/06 02:11 PM Re: Yosemite in mid April? [Re: gunkie]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
mid April can be a mixed bag in Yosemite. Some years in March (or April) in the Valley floor you can be climbing in shorts without a shirt and some years you can do some of the Valley ice climbs in April.... Just depends (and it can change overnight)

If its not snowing the Merced River area (Arch Rock, Cookie Cliff.... will be warmer then the Valley Floor.

#18443 - 03/15/06 06:58 PM Re: Yosemite in mid April? [Re: gunkie]
claytyson Offline

We will likely only do a day of climbing and stick to moderate routes. Regular route up Sunnyside Bench and other routes in that area are likely choices. My 14 y.o. daughter and my lack of trad climbing in the past 12 months will limit our choices.

Sounds like, over all, we are looking at a great time of year to be in the valley.

-Clay

#18444 - 03/15/06 07:07 PM Re: Yosemite in mid April? [Re: claytyson]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
Clay

Let me know when you guys will be out here, i would gladly take you guys up something if you wanted

mitch

#18445 - 03/15/06 07:28 PM Re: Yosemite in mid April? [Re: CrackBoy]
D75 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holiday Inn Express
Chuckle. It is her lack of trad lead experience that will be limiting your choices...

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored