Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#18480 - 03/13/06 07:14 PM Springtime in the Gunks
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
The weather last Saturday was inviting:

There were more people on the crag above than there are in this picture, and there are at least five more people on the ground not in this view.

#18481 - 03/13/06 07:33 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: rg@ofmc]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
There was a crowd on the Frog's Head wall?

That *never* happens.....

Congrats to those who got out and enjoyed the lovely weather for some vertical silliness.

I opted for a family bike ride, which was lovely.
Em wanted to go again on Sunday, she was bummed that we couldn't cuz it was raining.

#18482 - 03/13/06 08:27 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: MurphysLaw]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
There were parties all over Madame G's as well. I counted 4 simultaneous rope teams at one point. Which on a (one or) two pitch route, makes for some interesting traffic issues!

But everyone seemed polite and just too happy to be out on a great day. Too bad it can't be like that all summer. The difference could also be that it is the most serious climbers that rush to get their season underway in March, and these folks generally have a good handle on behavior and climbing etiquette.

#18483 - 03/13/06 09:30 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Ya I we ran into 2!!! other parties at Lost City....ugg

Of course too bad since Winter Round 2 is coming up by end of this week.

#18484 - 03/13/06 09:59 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: Smike]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

We were in the Nears, avoiding crowds.... there were probably 5 or 6 parties that we ran into the whole day.

As for this coming weekend - that is just not fair! Still time for the weather to shift back to a more respectable position, though....

#18485 - 03/13/06 10:55 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: Smike]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Sunday was good too, if you woke up early enough. I'm guessing the Mike and Molly household didnt take advantage of the early morning climbing weather. I did though, and bagged my first 5.10 lead of the year! yippee for me. I'm paying for it today though.

RR

#18486 - 03/13/06 10:56 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: rg@ofmc]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Cool!

Four friends of mine drove out from Boston on Saturday. They had a great time - would have joined them if I hadn't had an obligation that evening. Here's my friend Jen on Shockley's. It's her hardest lead to date!

As for me, at least I had time to enjoy the fantastic weather at a local crag. Urban climbing at its finest!

Looking forward to seeing some of y'all out at the Gunks soon!

GO

#18487 - 03/13/06 11:08 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: rg@ofmc]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Speaking of spring climbing - has anyone ever run into exfoliated stuff on the first climbing days of the season? Most other places I've been have this problem - where the freeze-thaw cycles of the winter separate blocks that were still barely connected in the fall, and the first one to come across it in the spring gets an unhappy surprise. Seems like this wouldn't be as much of an issue - the Gunks doesn't exfoliate like granite does, but there's still got to be some action - that huge talus field the the stairmaster goes up didn't get placed there on its own!

Anyone have any experience with this at the Gunks? Any areas or climbs you'd avoid early in the season?

GO

#18488 - 03/13/06 11:23 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: GOclimb]
D75 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holiday Inn Express
You and all the friends you can convince might just want to stay away until mid july when it warms up and the crowds thin a bit.

Must be some reason everybody is wearing helmets.

Maybe even work on urban climbing guide book. Be sure to include a chapter on all of the dangers of climbing outside urban areas like the gunks - copperheads, raptor closures, mountain lions, bears, rockfall - especially the kind of exfoliation caused by not so nimble noobs.

Seriously, all the talus was trucked in by appies to make it look scary.

#18489 - 03/14/06 02:17 AM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: D75]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
RR wrote:
I'm paying for it today though.
Sunday I was paying for the Rollie's competition that broke out at around mid-night, oh ya btw, your significant other puts us all to same. She is the Rollie goddess....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored