Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 4 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#18490 - 03/14/06 02:25 AM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: Smike]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
Well, I climbed ice AND rock on Saturday - I did Crystal Ice Tower (go me!) first thing in the AM and then headed across the road to the Spiders Web and climbed a bunch of classic crack climbs. Starting off the season following 10s and 11s wasn't really what I was planning, but I'm kind of enjoying the wow I climbed really hard ache that I've got going on in my back today. Here's a tip, though, don't climb rock in your ice harness. Mine just doesn't fit right without all the layers of padding and I've got some nasty bruises on my hips today....

I can't wait for my first climb at the gunks this year!

#18491 - 03/14/06 03:45 AM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: Aya]
D75 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holiday Inn Express
good aya. then maybe it would be on topic

#18492 - 03/14/06 05:36 AM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: D75]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Quote:

You and all the friends you can convince might just want to stay away until mid july when it warms up and the crowds thin a bit.

Must be some reason everybody is wearing helmets.

Maybe even work on urban climbing guide book. Be sure to include a chapter on all of the dangers of climbing outside urban areas like the gunks - copperheads, raptor closures, mountain lions, bears, rockfall - especially the kind of exfoliation caused by not so nimble noobs.

Seriously, all the talus was trucked in by appies to make it look scary.

D75, I may be drunk right now, but you'll still be an ass in the morning.

Oh yeah...

GO

#18493 - 03/14/06 04:03 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: GOclimb]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
bah, it's still ski/riding season! Killington was fantastic this weekend. Saturday started a little hard, but quickly loosened up when the sun came out. A temperature inversion kept the mountain soft all night, and on Sunday, despite a frozen parking lot, the mountain was in spectacular condition. Perfect, soft, spring corn everywhere. It paid to be out early, because at around 1:30, it rained to beat the band. But man was it a fun day while it lasted.

#18494 - 03/14/06 04:17 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: GOclimb]
climbEEr Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Quote:

Speaking of spring climbing - has anyone ever run into exfoliated stuff on the first climbing days of the season? Most other places I've been have this problem - where the freeze-thaw cycles of the winter separate blocks that were still barely connected in the fall, and the first one to come across it in the spring gets an unhappy surprise. Seems like this wouldn't be as much of an issue - the Gunks doesn't exfoliate like granite does, but there's still got to be some action - that huge talus field the the stairmaster goes up didn't get placed there on its own!

Anyone have any experience with this at the Gunks? Any areas or climbs you'd avoid early in the season?

GO

While we were racking up on Maria Direct, there was a party up on City Lights or in that area that kept dislodging softball sized rocks and allowing them to rain down on to the people below. Occasionally they would call rock. So that kept us on our toes but we didn't find anything loose while climbing.

#18495 - 03/14/06 04:50 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: climbEEr]
greyalien Offline
journeyman

Loc: Central NJ and Upstate NY
Well I didnt get up to the gunks last weekend, but I did go bouldering here yesterday. We were expecting the usual 40 degrees and numb fingers, but it was 75! I was too hot the whole time. Not only was I climbing without a shirt on, but I wished i had been wearing shorts! Might go again today, so at least it will be cooler. We have recently found a TON of awesome bouldering around here so were pretty psyched on that, but hopefully we can get up to ny next weekend. (Dont worry, Im not crazy and prefer a day of trad to bouldering).

#18496 - 03/14/06 04:53 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: greyalien]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Speaking of bouldering, there was a bunch of folks out on Cat Rock in Central Park on Saturday. I was walking by with some friends and WeeVee made a dash for some of the small rocks nearby shouting "Me climb, me climb."

Daddy was very proud of his boy.

#18497 - 03/14/06 05:57 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: GeeVee]
chazman Offline
old hand

GV, Is Heckscher Playground open yet?

#18498 - 03/14/06 06:43 PM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: chazman]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Didn't walk right by it to see what's going on but from where I was it looks like one big construction site.

#18499 - 03/16/06 01:31 AM Re: Springtime in the Gunks [Re: Aya]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
Quote:

Here's a tip, though, don't climb rock in your ice harness. Mine just doesn't fit right without all the layers of padding and I've got some nasty bruises on my hips today....

Here's a shocker, some people use the same harness all year long!!!!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored