Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19364 - 04/06/06 04:19 PM Areas OTHER than Yosemite
claytyson Offline

Looks like it will be a bit cold and snowy next week in Yosemite. I'm traveling in and out of San Fran and will be visiting friends in the Bay area. Are there any good multi-pitch crags within two hours of the Bay? We will still be going to Yosemite for hiking, just not staying 4 days like we planned.

-clay

#19365 - 04/06/06 04:53 PM Re: Areas OTHER than Yosemite [Re: claytyson]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
If Yosemite is going to be snowy/rainy then most likely areas like Sugarloaf between Tahoe and Sacramento will likely also, which for multipitch would be your best bet.

For single pitch areas, possibly Table Mountain out by Sonora will be dry (which has cracks -sharp- between 5.8 and 5.11a) and sports climbing at Jailhouse (starting at 5.11d)......

There is both cracks (trad) and sports climbing up near Napa, single pitch though...

Single pitch sports (and some trad) in the Pinnacles which is mostly cobble pinching...

#19366 - 04/06/06 05:00 PM Re: Areas OTHER than Yosemite [Re: Chas]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

There is both cracks (trad) and sports climbing up near Napa, single pitch though...

That's a new one on me. Whereabouts?

#19367 - 04/06/06 08:14 PM Re: Areas OTHER than Yosemite [Re: MarcC]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

In Napa,

My memory is foggy but if I remember right, after you pass Charles Krug Winery (its on the wine tour maps if you can't find it, and stop off and try some of their stuff) and go about 2 miles, there is a mjor turn to the right. Go through the small town , and you'll see a large hill just past the town, drive up the switchbacks until you get to the crest of the hill. At the crest there is a pullout on the left side of the road with a trail just behind the pullout. Take the trail up the hill doing some switchbacks for about 30minutes and you'll get to the first climbing area just off the trail which has a few climbs between 5.10b and 5.11bish. If you skirt around to the left there is more sports climbing in a more moderate range and about 20-30 minutes past that columner basaltic region for cracks.

If you take a right instead of a left at the first climbing area, JUST up the trail/road is another sports climbing area that has stuff between 5.10 and stiff 5.12d.

#19368 - 04/06/06 11:13 PM Re: Areas OTHER than Yosemite [Re: Chas]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
pretty much anything in tahoe right now is going to be cold and wet, though it has been warming up recently. snow levels have been really low and hitting placerville.

sugarloaf might be ok, i should be doing soe bc skiing on the south shore on saturday so i will take a gander at the loaf on my way up see how much snow is on the ground. if it is sunny though it might dry out with a cold/wet approach

there is a lot of stuff near napa, but i have never been.

depending on time you could always drive to bishop or souith to jtree

#19369 - 04/07/06 09:41 PM Re: Areas OTHER than Yosemite [Re: Chas]
fear Offline
enthusiast

Loc: New England
Quote:

In Napa,

My memory is foggy but if I remember right, after you pass Charles Krug Winery (its on the wine tour maps if you can't find it, and stop off and try some of their stuff) and go about 2 miles, there is a mjor turn to the right. Go through the small town , and you'll see a large hill just past the town, drive up the switchbacks until you get to the crest of the hill. At the crest there is a pullout on the left side of the road with a trail just behind the pullout. Take the trail up the hill doing some switchbacks for about 30minutes and you'll get to the first climbing area just off the trail which has a few climbs between 5.10b and 5.11bish. If you skirt around to the left there is more sports climbing in a more moderate range and about 20-30 minutes past that columner basaltic region for cracks.

If you take a right instead of a left at the first climbing area, JUST up the trail/road is another sports climbing area that has stuff between 5.10 and stiff 5.12d.

Wow... I wish I had your foggy memory....

-Fear

#19370 - 04/12/06 02:16 AM Re: Areas OTHER than Yosemite [Re: fear]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
There is good climbing (and incredible hiking) in the Emigrant Wilderness, which is NE of Sonora. I would guess it might be dry, but I've only ever been there in August. Here's a photo I took in the Emigrant:

#19371 - 04/12/06 01:30 PM Re: Areas OTHER than Yosemite [Re: intrepid02]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

The areas north and east of Sonora will be under heavy snowpack (Crazyboy correct me if I am wrong about this year). While the pass opens much earlier then Tuolumne Pass it still holds its snow for a while (usually)

But you are right, it is a very beautiful area.......

#19372 - 04/12/06 03:56 PM Re: Areas OTHER than Yosemite [Re: intrepid02]
Timbo Offline
addict

Loc: Delaware
Wow, nice pic Keith.

#19373 - 04/12/06 04:20 PM Re: Areas OTHER than Yosemite [Re: Chas]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
supposedly table mountain is ok which is much lower than sonora pass, but it is probably soaking wet.

essentially anything over 6000 feet is guarenteed to be under a lot of snow and there is a good chance of snow from 3000-6000.

but regardless of the snow it has rained pretty much every day give or take a few days for the past month and a half. so thngs are a tad damp. while some places like sugarloaf will dry out fast if it has enough sun, you liekly wont get any sun for long enough.

as far as emigrant, you are better off bringing the skis, its been a huge snowyear. most places are reorting over 600 inches of base this year

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored