Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#19387 - 04/08/06 05:25 PM thanks to all
ranger hank Offline

-hi-
As part of our pre-incident plan I have been compiling accident data into a database for the Mohonk Preserve recently. In 2005 there were 18 climbing accidents. This is an all- time low number of climbing accidents since we began record keeping. Keep climbing safe!

As another part of our pre-incident work, Preserve climbing Ranger Frank Tkac recently attended an advanced rope skills course. Frank's tuition and travel costs were completely subsidized by three different sources:

A private donor

The Gunks Climbing Coalition supporrt from the dedicated rescue fund they have created

The raflle of tents that Evan Marks, Gunks.com webmaster, held last year.

Thanks to all who assisted!

-Hank Alicandri-i
Mohonk Preserve Ranger

#19388 - 04/09/06 12:39 AM Re: thanks to all [Re: ranger hank]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Very cool on all counts - thanks!

GO

#19389 - 04/09/06 03:07 AM Re: thanks to all [Re: ranger hank]
Timbo Offline
addict

Loc: Delaware
Quote:

- Frank's tuition and travel costs were completely subsidized by three different sources:

A private donor

The Gunks Climbing Coalition supporrt from the dedicated rescue fund they have created

-Hank Alicandri-i
Mohonk Preserve Ranger

Am I the only person feeling screwed by the major discrepancy in the day use fee for climbing after reading this ?

I have been an ardent supported of the Preserve, and, for the most part, still am. I get a yearly membership so I am unafected by the price increase, but I can't help but feel a little uneasy that the Preserve is using our donations on one hand, yet charging climbers significantly more for day use on the other.

I realize the opportunity the Preserve land offers to me as a climber, but I can see no fiscal justification for the discrepancy. This year, I'll save my usual donation to the Preserve and give it to some needy-looking climbers at the Uberfall who could use the extra money for the day pass fee.

TS

#19390 - 04/09/06 05:32 AM Re: thanks to all [Re: Timbo]
drkodos Offline
addict

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Quote:

Quote:

- Frank's tuition and travel costs were completely subsidized by three different sources:

A private donor

-Hank Alicandri-i
Mohonk Preserve Ranger

Am I the only person feeling screwed by the major discrepancy in the day use fee for climbing after reading this ?

I have been an ardent supported of the Preserve, and, for the most part, still am. I get a yearly membership so I am unafected by the price increase, but I can't help but feel a little uneasy that the Preserve is using our donations on one hand, yet charging climbers significantly more for day use on the other.

I realize the opportunity the Preserve land offers to me as a climber, but I can see no fiscal justification for the discrepancy. This year, I'll save my usual donation to the Preserve and give it to some needy-looking climbers at the Uberfall who could use the extra money for the day pass fee.

TS

Wahhhhh! I have to pay money!! WAAAAAHHHHH!

what a crybaby.

Sell your PC, fool. You only use it to post non-sense selfish crap, anyway. It would almost buy you a lifetime membership!

WAAH I CANT AFFORD IT!!!

WAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Baby.

#19391 - 04/09/06 05:33 AM Re: thanks to all [Re: Timbo]
drkodos Offline
addict

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
timbo: One more thing.

Edited by webmaster (04/13/06 03:36 PM)

#19392 - 04/10/06 12:55 PM Re: thanks to all [Re: drkodos]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
I'd like to thank everybody, too -- for not showing up at the Gunks on Saturday! No doubt, many were probably (reasonably) discouraged from going based on the morning's rain event, which was significant. It was pouring the entire ride up from the City, and admittedly, I thought the chances of climbing that day would be about nil. But I'd arranged to meet a few new friends up there, for their first Gunks experience, so I continued on, figuring that if nothing else, I could take them on a hike to show them around. When I arrived in the Paltz, there was only a light sprinkle. When we arrived at the cliffs at around 10:30 or so, I was very, very surprised to find the rock bone-dry, with only the slightest dampness in the occasional crack. There were only 4 cars in the Stairmaster lot, and we encountered only two other climbers, despite being on trade routes. So, thanks to you all for not showing up!

#19393 - 04/10/06 02:01 PM Re: thanks to all [Re: ranger hank]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
Thanks for the update, Hank. I was bragging about how good we've got it to some visiting climbers on Sunday. We've really got paradise here. Thanks for helping keep it that way.

#19394 - 04/11/06 04:09 AM Re: thanks to all [Re: drkodos]
Steven Cherry Offline

veteran

Loc: New York, N.Y.
Tim has a point.

However, Tim, there is a difference between, (a) our price differential goes toward the extra expenses related to rescues and other climbing-specific expenses, and (b) some rescue-related expenses are paid for in ways other than our fee differential.

If the fee differential doesn't meet all the expenses, then the additional monies involved in (b) have to be found.

#19395 - 04/11/06 12:48 PM Re: thanks to all [Re: Steven Cherry]
Timbo Offline
addict

Loc: Delaware
Quote:

Tim has a point.

However, Tim, there is a difference between, (a) our price differential goes toward the extra expenses related to rescues and other climbing-specific expenses, and (b) some rescue-related expenses are paid for in ways other than our fee differential.

If the fee differential doesn't meet all the expenses, then the additional monies involved in (b) have to be found.

Exactly, but what I have not seen are a) actual numbers verifying this or 2) a reliable spokesperson from the preserve who can verify this. Does this really exist despite the extra donations from the GCC, Access Fund, and other sources specifically for rescue ?

I also think the Preserve might have first tried other ways to raise the extra money needed (assuming there really is a large discrepancy), perhaps by soliciting for more donations. For example, I would much rather donate some extra money to a rescue fund rather than have every poor student climber out there need to pony up extra $$$. Maybe a prominent donation tube by the rescue cache.

What extra monies are involved with having climbers ? I can think of several, but perhaps I'm missing some:

1) Rescue Equipment (do climber donations cover all this ? I'm guessing not quite.)
2) Bolts and rap anchors (arrgh, why do we even have these !)
3) Overtime for rangers working on rescues (legit extra cost, if indeed rangers do get OT).

Anything else ?

And I really hesitate to even bother with the good doctor, but, just for kicks, here goes.

Selfish ?? Geesh, I said I donate money to the Preserve and I would be at the Uberfall paying the difference between the climber fee and the normal fee for some poor-looking student-type climbers. Every year I find 2 deserving looking kids to give my free day passes too. How is paying for part of others entrance fee selfish ?
I volunteer for trail days both at the Preserve and here in Delaware. I spend several rainy days each year at the Gunks picking up trash along the trails and cliff base.

And I'm not sure how you missed this one, but I HAVE A YEARLY MEMBERSHIP, I AM NOT AFFECTED BY THE FEE INCREASE ! My comments have nothing to do with ME having to pony up more money.

I swear Richard, one minute you want someone to climb with you, the next you're calling them selfish and a crybaby for no good reason. At least keep track of who you are insulting for the reaction and who you want for a partner.

TS

#19396 - 04/11/06 01:12 PM Re: thanks to all [Re: Timbo]
talus Offline
veteran

sorry tim but i thought your first post was gratuitous cristism. especially after Hank wanted to thank everyone. do you think you're the only one that picks up garbage? i even do it on sunny days. wow you have a year pass that will support a ranger's pay for 1 day. take your complaining somewhere else like to opec and cry about gas prices. or at least start another thread so you can bash there and then i may join you.

anyway Hank it's great to hear the accidents are at a low. keep up the great work!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored