Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#19662 - 04/21/06 07:37 AM Slide-Whitenburg overnight camping?
Lynn Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY
I was thinking about driving up to the Catskills Fri night and car camping overnight then hiking Slide on Saturday. The state campgrounds are closed til mid May though, does anyone know what the policy is for parking your car overnight and pitching your tent right next to it? Will the rangers hassle me if I park somewhere near the dead end there? Thanks.

#19663 - 04/21/06 02:45 PM Re: Slide-Whitenburg overnight camping? [Re: Lynn]
Kevin Offline
enthusiast

Bring your boat and overboots this weekend!!! The weather is calling for some nasty rain showers... But we need the rain so that part is OK, it is just the heavy showers that will suck. Plan for lots of mud and even some ice still up high which was reported on a NE hiking website. The ice should not be a major issue, it will mostly be near the summit, and you probably won't need crampons, just watch your footing. When I was up on Slide a few weeks back there was minimal ice till 3500ft, then lots of it at the summit. Now with the weather and such, only the summit areas appear to still have some ice.

As for overnight parking, I am not sure what the official policy is, but I have never been bothered in the past, YMMV...

Catch you later..
Kevin

#19664 - 04/21/06 04:09 PM Re: Slide-Whitenburg overnight camping? [Re: Lynn]
mworking Offline
old hand

I think I remember a parking lot across the street from the campground and a lean-to or cabin or at least a camping spot up on a north branch off the trail a bit. I didn’t actually go there, only to the branch. The main trail here goes up the back side of the ridge. You have to drive around the right to get to the “front side” I did the front side of Giant Ledge in a light rain a couple of years ago with my son who was then about 7. I thought it was a good rain hike, though you might miss some views if the clouds are low in the valley.

Check a map, the site was indicated on ours.

#19665 - 04/22/06 06:59 PM Re: Slide-Whitenburg overnight camping? [Re: mworking]
Lynn Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY
Thanks for the info guys, esp about the ice at the top. I was going to bring a newbie who might have had difficulties; went out to the movies instead.
I'll try again on a weekend with a better weather forecast. Which is the best website for up to date trail conditions?

#19666 - 04/24/06 11:37 AM Re: Slide-Whitenburg overnight camping? [Re: Lynn]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
I often check this site for northeast trail conditions - Views from the Top

I can usually find info on the particular area or peak to which I am going. It is nice to return the favour and report the conditions I found.

FYI, the Blackhead Range and the northern section of the Escarpment Trail are ice free by now although the freezing rain that fell on Saturday coated EVERYTHING in slick ice - rocks, tree roots, us. Made for slow going but it was still a great day out.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored