Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19999 - 05/02/06 12:20 AM Your $100 check
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
Inspired by the other $100 check thread:

The real question is what will you do with your $100 check?

I'm thinking about writing "FUCK YOU!!" on mine and sending it back. Or maybe signing it over to someone who wants to be president and wants to:

1. Stop all subsidies to oil companies (and big business in general for that matter)
2. Let the FTC loose on the oil companies (and big business in general for that matter)
3. Make an honest attempt at making alternative fuels workable in this country (and coal is NOT an alternative fuel)
4. Strengthen public transportation in this country

And do a whole bunch of other things like campaign finance reform and fixing our disastrous health care system. Oh, and maybe get us out of Iraq too, cuz that doesn't seem to be going very well. And while I'm making unreasonable demands, how about a guy who can pronounce the word nuclear.

Anybody know someone who might actually do all of this? And might be able to beat Hillary for the Dem ticket? (I am assuming that Rove has already picked the winner of the GOP ticket.)

#20000 - 05/02/06 12:57 AM Re: Your $100 check [Re: intrepid02]
Daniel Offline
veteran

And while I'm making unreasonable demands, how about a guy who can pronounce the word nuclear.

Ha! That one made me laugh. Thanks!

And might be able to beat Hillary for the Dem ticket?

There was a NY Times Magazine piece a few months ago on former VA Gov. Mark Warner. He was a very popular governor of a moderate but Republican-dominated southern state, and he was able to deliver bad budgetary news in a way that got the legislature to agree to make sacrifices to fix it (including a fairer tax system) and the public to support it. He has substantial personal wealth from co-founding Nextel and running a large technology venture capital firm, and may be able to tap into technology money from other supporters which would be vital if Hillary sucks up all the traditional Democratic fundraising sources. (It was scary how the article portrayed a few big money-raisers as determining the fate of the nominees; if they all go for the same person, it's extremely hard for anyone else to mount a serious challenge and really makes the primaries meaningless.) Yeah, I know a lot of people have never heard of him, but Bill Clinton was an unknown when he announced.

But to keep the thread on track . . . maybe sending it to a political candidate who might change things would be a good idea. I like all of the proposals from the original post, but I don't know what organization would be the best way to promote them. Common Cause strongly supports public campaign financing and has worked with success stories in several states, but there hasn't seemed to have been much progress with Congressional elections so far.

#20001 - 05/02/06 01:16 AM Re: Your $100 check [Re: Daniel]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
If I personally knew anyone who lost a son or daughter in Iraq, I'd send my check to them.

#20002 - 05/02/06 02:25 AM Re: Your $100 check [Re: Mike Rawdon]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Quote:

If I personally knew anyone who lost a son or daughter in Iraq, I'd send my check to them.

Appreciate your sentiment, but I wouldn't. That would be uncouth.

#20003 - 05/02/06 09:45 AM Re: Your $100 check [Re: intrepid02]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
We know that $100 check idea is a lead balloon. Intrepid02, you know (alas) that that four-point platform you advocate would guarantee election loss.

#20004 - 05/02/06 01:18 PM Re: Your $100 check [Re: oenophore]
mworking Offline
old hand

Yes, it seems that telling the truth guarantees non-candacy even before election loss is possible. As long as people vote for what they want to hear we got problems.

#20005 - 05/02/06 01:21 PM Re: Your $100 check [Re: intrepid02]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Inspired by the other $100 check thread:

The real question is what will you do with your $100 check?

I'm thinking about writing "FUCK YOU!!" on mine and sending it back. Or maybe signing it over to someone who wants to be president and wants to:

1. Stop all subsidies to oil companies (and big business in general for that matter)
2. Let the FTC loose on the oil companies (and big business in general for that matter)
3. Make an honest attempt at making alternative fuels workable in this country (and coal is NOT an alternative fuel)
4. Strengthen public transportation in this country

And do a whole bunch of other things like campaign finance reform and fixing our disastrous health care system. Oh, and maybe get us out of Iraq too, cuz that doesn't seem to be going very well. And while I'm making unreasonable demands, how about a guy who can pronounce the word nuclear.

Anybody know someone who might actually do all of this? And might be able to beat Hillary for the Dem ticket? (I am assuming that Rove has already picked the winner of the GOP ticket.)

Before you do any of these things with your check, sign it, and mail it to me. For all of you who would piss it away on any of the complete wastes that are described here, I encourage you to send yours to me as well. I can guarantee I will put the money to good use.

#20006 - 05/02/06 03:01 PM Re: Your $100 check [Re: intrepid02]
Kevin Offline
enthusiast

How about donating to a charity or group you maybe a member of... You could always send it to the Mohonk Preserve, a local rescue squad... The list could be endless.

I personally have been debating this question and will probably split it between two charities...

Honestly, not to sound concieted and elitist, this $100 'refund' we may get will not solve any real problems, it is nothing but election year pandering to garner votes. It is not going to help me economically at all, it is a short term band aid on a bigger problem that those at the top do not want to solve. I could use it to buy a couple of tanks of gas, maybe some groceries, pay a bill or two... But then what? Are they going to send me another check next month? Or do I have to wait till the next election for some idiot's plan to buy more votes?

I might as well use that money, if we ever get it, for some good... I'm willing to donate mine to charities and organizations that I am a member of.

Anyone else?

Kevin

PS... And NO... I am not sending it to someone that thinks I am wasting my check... IF we even get it...

#20007 - 05/02/06 04:46 PM Re: Your $100 check [Re: intrepid02]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Will the check have fine print that says "By endorsing this check you are agreeing to allow drilling in the ANWR."?

#20008 - 05/02/06 05:05 PM Re: Your $100 check [Re: Kevin]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
No offense, but you all want to take the Saudi's and China's $100 loan to you and spend it? How unamerican!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored