Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (donald perry), 11 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#20217 - 05/09/06 02:38 AM rainier recommenations
skillet Offline
journeyman

Loc: long island,ny
anyone done Rainier ? i need to buy a tent and sleeping bag for a trip in august. i really want to go as light as possible with the tent. looking at some of BD's ultralight single walls. would these get trashed on rainier? what temperature range bag do i need to get? any other gear suggestions (like stoves,overboots) are appreciated! the guidebook is in the mail, so until then i'd like to hear from folks who've been there, thanks!

#20218 - 05/09/06 07:53 AM Re: rainier recommenations [Re: skillet]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
I did it 10 years ago, also in August. I used a zero degree sleeping bag and a three season tent. Those were sufficient for that time of year at camp Muir (10000 feet). That is where you will camp if you are doing the standard route which I think is actually called the Direct Cleaver route or something like that??? No overboots needed, just gators. Don't forget the headlamp since you will leave camp Muir about 1 am. If you can, plan to do the route when there is a full moon. It is just spectacular. Anti-balling plates for your crampons are a must. The stove I used was an MSR whisperlite. Some people brought their stoves to the summit to cook breakfast/lunch when they got there. I left mine at camp Muir and just ate power bars for breakfast and lunch. Bring plenty to drink or carry the stove to melt more water. I carried a 70 oz camel back and 2 x 1 liter Nalgene bottles filled with Gatoraid. As far as gear goes, just standard glacier travel stuff. Have extra warm layers in your pack as the weather can change rapidly. Have fun!!!
Paul

#20219 - 05/09/06 11:34 AM Re: rainier recommenations [Re: skillet]
AOR Offline
enthusiast

Excellent advice from Hartmann.
I was there last year in September and concur with his recommendations.

Also, go here

You may have to stay at Cougar Rock campground which is about 12-15 miles below the trailhead before heading up. Another piece of advice...spend a few days taking day hikes to altitude to become acclimated. Once above 8,000-10,000' you'll be glad you did.

Enjoy...!

#20220 - 05/09/06 12:42 PM Re: rainier recommenations [Re: skillet]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
Have you checked out Gauthier's blog? He's the climbing ranger, and the blog has conditions et al...

Mount Ranier Blog

#20221 - 05/09/06 01:28 PM Re: rainier recommenations [Re: crackers]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
I've summited Rainer twice (Emmons & Fuhrer Finger). I pretty much concur with what's been said here. Weather patterns are pretty stable in August. You may want to invest in some snow anchors for your tent (they don't cost or weigh much), just in case. For a first time, however, I would recommend avoiding the Disappointment Cleaver route. It's really crowded (and that can translate to really dangerous as you're negotiating the Cleaver), especially with RMI guided groups. I would highly recommend the Emmons-Winthrop Glacier route. The biggest difference is the approach - it's a little longer, hence it's less crowded. Camp at Emmons Flats (I'd rather camp on snow than on the scree/rock at Camp Shurman).

Gauthier's book is a great resource.

#20222 - 05/09/06 01:33 PM Re: rainier recommenations [Re: nerdom]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

One more thing - buy the topo and bring a compass. Lots of people have gotten lost/killed in whiteouts on Mt. Rainier (very often on the Muir Snowfields, when they wander off route). It's easy to go from easy terrain to serious sh*t on that mountain if you get lost.

#20223 - 05/09/06 03:50 PM Re: rainier recommenations [Re: skillet]
climbEEr Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
If you are really looking to get away from the crowds...I recommend the Tahoma Glacier Route(s) You have the direct line and the Sickle line. Did the Direct line a couple of years ago in July. You have plenty of oppurtunites for camp sites along the way up depending on how fast you are moving. Zero degree bag is all you need, and if you really want to go lite get a down bag. Definitely bring a big puffy coat, for the nights and bad weather. Don't forget the sun screen and apply religiously.

If you are looking for a little extra excitement you can camp out on top on the western rim of the crater. Very cool experience to watch the sunset from atop, but it will be windy.

Good luck

#20224 - 05/09/06 06:13 PM Re: rainier recommenations [Re: skillet]
Kim Graves Offline
journeyman

Loc: Saugerties, NY
I've never done any high alpine stuff - just up to Washington in the winter. But I do know that the BD tent has gotten a lot of use for lightweight alpine style ascents - eg House/Anderson on the Rupal face last year. It just seems like the way to go if you're not expecting serious rain.

Edit: let me just add that I used my 15 degree down bag with the BD Winter bivi plus my belay jacket & belay pants in minus 10 degrees on Mt. Washington this past winter and was comfortable. The idea being to save weight by using all the insulation you're carrying anyway. Personally, I wouldn't bring a down bag for use in the snow if I was going to be out for more than an overnight. I once saturated a down bag over three days just by the moisture my body gave off. I like the
Integral Designs primaloft bags.

FWIW: I'm selling a MSR Dragonfly - lit only three times. I bought it because it burns even hotter than the XGK. See this link for more info.

Edited by Kim Graves (05/09/06 06:32 PM)

#20225 - 05/09/06 06:13 PM Re: rainier recommenations [Re: climbEEr]
skillet Offline
journeyman

Loc: long island,ny
hey, thanks everyone! good suggestions all around. zero degree bag, check! any tent recommendations? does anyone have any experience with the new BD line of ultralight tents? kinda leaning in that direction, but would like some feedback before i invest! thanks!

#20226 - 05/09/06 06:40 PM Re: rainier recommenations [Re: skillet]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

zero degree bag??? overkill! I slept in the summit cone of Rainier in my 15-degree Blue Kazoo. I've slept in zero degree temps with that bag (in a tent) and have never been cold (not sure what your winter camping experience level is, so I'll just say make sure you bring TWO sleeping pads - I use one full-length closed cell foam pad, and one 3/4 inflatable).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored