Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (DMD, Fraser), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#20257 - 05/23/06 01:17 PM Re: TR - Mt. Shasta's Avalanche Gulch - May 5-6, 2006 [Re: intrepid02]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
intrepid:

I used my leather mountaineering boots (La Sportiva Karakorams) on both Shasta and in Tuckerman's and was very satisfied with the performance. Others have recommended good AT boots. On Shasta, I spoke to a few splitters, and they were totally happy with their soft snowboard boots (they had strap on crampons that fit them, for the steeper sections).

#20258 - 05/23/06 01:26 PM Re: channelling Zacres [Re: intrepid02]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
hmm. he just made his wife have a baby, so he probably won't be visiting here any time soon...

lets see:
voile's suck, get hardboots and bomber bindings, and the prior boards are the best.

that should cover his splitbroken rant.

#20259 - 05/23/06 01:34 PM Re: channelling Zacres [Re: crackers]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
The zachres splitboard rant would probably sound more like "think twice before using a splitboard at all if you're in hard boots"

If you're like him, you may need a different stance for hard boots which is not offered by splitboard bindings due to mounting restrictions. Other people seem to have no problem. Your mileage may vary.

After trying a lot of splitboards he's gone back to ascent skis.

Edited by pedestrian (05/23/06 01:35 PM)

#20260 - 05/23/06 04:23 PM Re: channelling Zacres [Re: pedestrian]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
or you could just skip all that nonsense and get skis!

#20261 - 05/23/06 04:30 PM Re: channelling Zacres [Re: andrew]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

HA! I've actually thought about it. I skiied for a bunch of years before I started boarding. But the older I get, the more conscientious I am about the need to keep my knees intact! After all, I gotta walk on 'em the rest of my life! That said, I'm still toying with the idea of picking up a used pair for occasional two-planking (the majority of my powderhound friends are skiiers).

#20262 - 05/23/06 06:16 PM Re: channelling Zacres [Re: nerdom]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
actually i think zach rides his splitboard with hard boots

#20263 - 05/23/06 06:18 PM Re: channelling Zacres [Re: CrackBoy]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

not anymore he ditched his splitboard after I rode Rose with him, had too much trouble keeping the nose up in powder.

#20264 - 05/26/06 06:03 PM Re: channelling Zacres [Re: pedestrian]
zachres Offline
addict

Loc: In the midst of a "psychotic b...
Howdy kids!

My boy is 6 days old, and we have lot's of family here..... "helping." Thought I'd take a few minutes to surf around.

Anywho; Splitboards = firewood in my book... can't stand them. However, that doesn't mean that they aren't appropriate for many people out there. If you use a splitboard, the optimal set-up is to use soft boots and strap bindings.

Now, I use hard boots for two reasons:
1. I absolutley love the way hard boots ride.
2. I like to climb and ride stuff that is steeper and sketchier than Shasta. This is why I initially made the switch.

Simply put: You can not get the correct stance angles for hardboots, using the Voile interface... trust me, I've tested every single splitboard on the market. Many people run AT boots on splitboards, but they use the same angles as they would with soft boots... stupid, and not any fun... plus, you run the risk of seriously screwing up your knees.

This is my set-up right now:
- Donek, Incline 168 (has a 24.1 cm waist... significantly skinnier than a standard free-ride board, so it's just right for hard boots)
- Garmont Mega Ride Boots
- Bomber TD2 bindings... customized for weight loss
- Karhu, Meta approach skis, mounted with Dynafit toe pieces and Voike heel lifters. I also riveted skins to them.

Since switching from splitboards to this set-up, i have found that I am much more efficient climbing, and my legs stay fresher.

Zach

#20265 - 05/26/06 06:56 PM Re: channelling Zacres [Re: zachres]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Simply put: You can not get the correct stance angles for hardboots, using the Voile interface... trust me, I've tested every single splitboard on the market. Many people run AT boots on splitboards, but they use the same angles as they would with soft boots... stupid, and not any fun... plus, you run the risk of seriously screwing up your knees.

zach:

First off, congrats on the birth of your son!

You wanna expound on the above quote for me? Are you referring to the foot stance for descent mode? If so, how and why do your angles differ for hard boots vs. soft boots? I ride 0' back, 15' forward (and I'm goofy). I didn't adjust the bindings when I wore my "hard" boots (i.e., leather mountaineering boots). When you speak of "hard" boots, are you talking about the double plastic variety or something like that (i.e, hard outer shell)? Please enlighten me!

Also, what is the total set-up cost for your ascent ski set-up (i.e., skis, bindings, skis, etc.)?

edited to add: I'm leaving out comments on your implicit diss of my boarding ability re: your comment on Shasta . . .

Edited by nerdom (05/26/06 06:59 PM)

#20266 - 05/26/06 07:27 PM Re: channelling Zacres [Re: nerdom]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Zach - Congratulations. And send a "big up" to Francesca for bringing the little bugger into the world.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored