Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (SethG), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#20414 - 06/28/06 06:45 PM Re: ankle turn [Re: The Lisa]
Lynn Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY
Thanks for info (the higher center of gravity makes sense) and for the shoe recommendation. I'll see if I can find a pair. The only trail runners I had were Vasque, not great cushioning but nice and wide toward the back. Anyone tried the new shoes with the metal springs inside them that are banned from the Boston marathon?

#20415 - 06/29/06 01:17 AM Re: ankle turn [Re: Lynn]
mworking Offline
old hand

Quote:

Anyone tried the new shoes with the metal springs inside them that are banned from the Boston marathon?

Funny you mention this. Right after I poted my reply a was thinking the I had left out energy return.
It is possible to "absorb" and store the energy for return, rather than absorb and dissipate it. So shoes do not have to feel sluggish (like my old NB 805's ) to help prevent long term injury.

#20416 - 07/05/06 06:13 AM Re: ankle turn [Re: mworking]
Lynn Offline
journeyman

Ok, so I've returned from many a store and found that I can't tell anything at all about the shoe from just running around in the store with them on. I'd contemplate trying to find the Masais but worry about fit as I've discovered I take different sizes in Montrails. With the small parameters of Vasque, Solomon and some Montrail models - & full orthodics so whatever bed is coming out and the somewhat stiffer orthodic going in - run will be on rocky terrain - both ankles prone to rolling - I should look at which model? If money was not an issue I'd go ahead and buy three or four pairs and go for it but money is an issue so I'm going to rely heavily on your prior knowledge, experience and expertise on the issue...

#20417 - 07/05/06 06:09 PM Re: ankle turn [Re: Lynn]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
There is a certain amount of trial and error involved. It may end up being a case of settling for the most stable-looking shoe, one that is fitted by the store's expert fitter, and going on from there. Take it out on the trails and experiment with different foot beds.

Are you working on strengthening your ankles too? Being proactive on foot placements while running also helps. I roll my ankle a lot less know that I pay attention to where I am putting my feet.

#20418 - 07/05/06 09:03 PM Re: ankle turn [Re: The Lisa]
mworking Offline
old hand

Quote:

Ok, so I've returned from many a store and found that I can't tell anything at all about the shoe from just running around in the store with them on.

Absolutely. Been fooled in stores quite a number of times. But there are plenty of good shoes.

Quote:

run will be on rocky terrain –

Not sure what this means. If you are talking PA style AT trails, scree or talus I give the 5.10 Access very high marks for that application. Little padding - though you won’t use it if you have to be that careful placing your feet anyway. Not for carriage roads. Trail or street shoes can both work there – depending on the shoe. Anyway they are my favorite “rock” shoes, and I am not a 5.10 fan. In fact these are my fourth pair of 5.10 shoes (not climbing shoes), and they are the only ones that didn’t fall apart prematurely.

Montrail Viteses have changed a bit over the years. They are now a bit like running in a hiking boot with a very flat heel. They are still my favorite shoe on soft and "normal" trails. By the way they breathe quite well and are much cooler than they look like they would be.

I have always been interested in La Sportiva and recently I have been particularly interested in Solomons too. Didn’t purchase the Solomons because I was concerned that they would cause heel problems for me similar to the way the Montrail Diaz-Vistas did.

#20419 - 07/05/06 11:24 PM Re: ankle turn [Re: mworking]
Lynn Offline
journeyman

Rocky as in lots of sharp rocks - roots and twigs. Plenty of stuff that could bruise a foot and also cause it to roll. Not approach shoes but running shoes. I try and be careful about where I put my foot but when I get tired, I get sloppy. I've also found that having wet socks & sneakers will cause me to roll on level ground.
I was doing some great strengthening in PT but haven't been able to afford it time and money wise lately, thus I was hoping some sort of magical shoe could save me.

#20420 - 07/06/06 08:00 PM Re: ankle turn [Re: Lynn]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
I would love some magical shoes too, please! In the meantime, I work with the ones I have and pay extra extra attention towards the end of a race where it is too easy to lose concentration.
I find the orthotics slip around when shoes and socks are wet - must velcro them together in future.

My shoe recommendations -
1. Montrail Masais - super light, broad stable heel.
2. North Face 'Ultra 102' which have Roll Control and a choice of lacing methods.

Good luck and keep me posted.

#20421 - 07/06/06 09:19 PM Re: ankle turn [Re: The Lisa]
talus Offline
veteran

i've been diggin la sportiva exum ridge good all around shoe

#20422 - 07/07/06 12:42 AM Re: ankle turn [Re: talus]
mworking Offline
old hand

Quote:

Rocky as in lots of sharp rocks - roots and twigs. Plenty of stuff that could bruise a foot and also cause it to roll. Not approach shoes but running shoes.

Normal definitely trail shoe territory. I would forget the 5.10s though from your description, if you want cushion.
NF has defintely been on my interest list too.

I didn't inted to make the Montrail Vitsses sound like an apprach shoe. They aren't.though they aren't built like most running shoes either though - low thin and flexible from the ball forward. They were around before there were many trails shoes on the market.

#20423 - 07/07/06 10:04 PM Re: ankle turn [Re: mworking]
Lynn Offline
journeyman

Thanks everyone! I'm robbing a ba-- errr, I'm going shopping tonight... only a few more weeks to break them in so what I get, I'll get. Hopefully I'll find the magic pair.
Thanks again for your recommendations.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored