Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20457 - 05/16/06 04:30 PM Stadiums
mworking Offline
old hand

Quote:

Why is it that in the last 100 years we can’t seem to build stadiums that last more then a mere 50 years but the Romans built some that are still in use after thousands of years

We can, we just don’t. Sure a stadium that would really last might cost a bit more that one that won’t, but you couldn’t give a team owner an old stadium, they wouldn’t want it.

They want larger stadiums to make more money.
They want stadiums in different locations to make more money.
They want new stadiums because they think it may attract larger audiences to make more money.

The team owners who fill stadiums rearely pay their true cost, so it is financially beneficial and relativly easy for them to obtain a new stadium for their use.

#20458 - 05/16/06 04:33 PM Re: Stadiums [Re: mworking]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Ancient unrestored stadiums are in bad shape; look at the pictures.

#20459 - 05/16/06 04:46 PM Re: Stadiums [Re: oenophore]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Quote:

Ancient unrestored stadiums are in bad shape; look at the pictures

Have you been to Veterans Stadium in phila before they tore it down? given that is was in service for say 35 years and its condition, give it just 500 years and it would have been nothing more then dust. The fact that anything Roman is still standing is a tribute to the architects and materials used.

On a smaller scale you think houses built by Toll Brothers will be still standing in less then 100 years?

#20460 - 05/16/06 05:01 PM Re: Stadiums [Re: Smike]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
The ancient stadiums that endure are works of pure masonry. That won't do for a contemporary stadium.

#20461 - 05/16/06 07:02 PM Re: Stadiums... are like shopping malls [Re: oenophore]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
I have virtually no first hand experience with big stadia or their decay. But I understood that the owners want new arenas built in large part because the trend is for lots of huge private suites that high rollers can use. An in-house convention facility is good too. Along with an all weather surface and retractable roof. This just wasn't part of the typical design 30 yr ago.

Hell, they tear down shopping malls that are less than 30 years old. Just did it down the road from my house last year. It wasn't because the roof was falling in (it wasn't); it was because you can't make a profit with a building like that. Revenue in our society means having all the latest bells and whistles. If it ain't multi-story, dramatic atrium and skylighted, with mega-cineplex and huge food court, then it's not worth shopping at. I mean, the jeans fit SO much better when I have to walk past the food court and mega-cineplex to buy them. Right?

#20462 - 05/16/06 08:38 PM Re: Stadiums... are like shopping malls [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think to sum Mikes point; we make everything trendy and disposable in out culture these days.

#20463 - 05/17/06 12:07 PM Re: Stadiums... are like shopping malls [Re: Smike]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
We live in a swiffer culture baby

RR

#20464 - 05/17/06 12:48 PM Re: Stadiums... are like shopping malls [Re: Smike]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
Of course, we could make arguments that creating new structures provide better environmental returns than maintaining older structures, but it would be a dream or a lie, so I won't make that argument.

I thought the Toll Brothers were the folks who had an entire subdivision collapse.

#20465 - 05/17/06 01:53 PM Re: Stadiums... are like shopping malls [Re: crackers]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Only ONE major problem with a Swiffer duster, those f-ing things work so dam good

#20466 - 05/17/06 10:24 PM Re: Stadiums... are like shopping malls [Re: RangerRob]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

RR

RR, You know why we live in a swiffer culture?

Because that's what people want.

P&G doesn't launch a new product development initiative unless there is a clearly defined need and benefit. Then, they test concepts with hundreds of people. Then they engineer something and that is tested with hundreds upon hundreds of people and it is refined until people just love it.

So, if people didn't want to live in a swiffer society, we wouldn't....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored