Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21157 - 05/23/06 01:26 PM Tom Tom
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Since my "shortcuts" continually get me lost, I am looking into a Tom Tom... anyone have one? Your experience?

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=210&Language=4

#21158 - 05/23/06 01:40 PM Re: Tom Tom [Re: d-elvis]
drkodos Offline
addict

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Unbelievably lame and for complete idiots that cannot read maps. Just plain lazy and stupid.

Aren't you embarassed to be a grown-up with such poor map reading skills?

#21159 - 05/23/06 02:35 PM Re: Tom Tom [Re: drkodos]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I've thought about it for some of those late night drives into wilderness areas I've never been before. When it is overcast, I'm not as good at my direction sense. I very rarely have an issue, but when I do it is inevitably at the end of a long drive in the middle of no where. These will be a bunch more useful when GPS coordinates are on most maps.

#21160 - 05/23/06 04:22 PM Re: Tom Tom [Re: chip]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
I wish everyone had gps naviation in their car.

Computers are smarter than people. I'd rather everyone had a machine telling them "turn approaching 200 yards... turn approaching 100 yards... turn in 50 feet" so they wouldn't do a brake check at every corner, looking from the printed directions to the odometer to the street sign to see if they're at the right place. It's dangerous to them and to everyone driving near them.

A Road Atlas is nearly worthless, if you're driving long distance you don't need a map, the only maps you need are local streets, which they don't have except for major cities. Paper folding maps are better, but they're don't go into enough details except in major urban areas, and never in enough details.

I don't know anyone with a TomTom though, but I wish everyone had a gps navigation in their car.

#21161 - 05/23/06 06:47 PM Re: Tom Tom [Re: quanto_the_mad]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Computers are smarter than people.

But can they dish out derision like Drkodos?
Funny that this thread is in the Climbing Gear category. Just what you need when you can't figure out where the route goes from here.

#21162 - 05/25/06 12:32 PM Re: Tom Tom [Re: oenophore]
Architect Offline
enthusiast

Loc: north by northeast (from jerse...
Computers are only as smart as the logic put into them.
I own a GPS in my car and before that I had a garmin hand held RINO 120.
I love the fact that I just plug in almost any address or intersection and I get a path to that location.
I never get lost unless I want to and then when I'm done having fun I hit the home button and I'm off.

the best thing about these devices in my opinion is the statistical data. I drive from New Jersey to Maine once a month and every other weekend to some crag somewhere on the east coast. I can drive at full speed with confidence because I know the distance and amount of time it will take to get to my next turn. I know THat if I stop now for GAS and food I can still make up the time to my destination because I have a reliable eta. And When my son calls me in the middle of my drive and says "daddy, when will you be here?" I can tell him ( barring any major traffic accidents) " In 2.3 hours son".

also because of my In DASH GPS I go to see some very scenic back woods towns in MA this past weekend when 17 miles of the MA PIKE were shut down due to a chemical truck accident. No traffic for me cuz I had instant access to my location and destination.

I do want more data, like traffic and weather downloaded based on my location, I'd pay for that. I get in now on my cell phone so its possible.
and I would defiantly require it to make espresso in the next version.

#21163 - 05/25/06 02:42 PM Re: Tom Tom [Re: Architect]
WNK Offline
stranger

Loc: Western Massachusetts
I don't have a Tom Tom. But, I just got a car with a navigation system built in, picked it up in Utah & drove back to Massachusetts. It was a great convenience - especially navigating to the hotels. (N.B. The database in the system was not a complete set of the entire US - so I had to call and get either an address near the hotel the system recognized, or actual - shudder - directions from a known spot). It also gave my son something to play with during the drive.
It was also useful on the major highways, because we did not take a direct route, but detoured for some sightseeing.

Overall, a really nice convenience. Potentially distracting while driving (there's always the urge to fiddle). And, it was still necessary to carry maps for overall planning.

#21164 - 05/25/06 04:03 PM Re: Tom Tom [Re: WNK]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Potentially distracting while driving (there's always the urge to fiddle).

Interestingly, the Toyota Prius software doesn't allow manipulation of the on-board navigation system while the car is in motion. It's likely we'll eventually see that on most if not all nav-equipped cars.
(There's also a flourishing community of hackers devoted to modifying the Prius software!)

#21165 - 05/25/06 07:12 PM Re: Tom Tom [Re: MarcC]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
I use Delorme with a USB connected GPS bug on my dash with my laptop.
I'm a Home Inspector so I have a different route and schedule every day. GPS saves me many miles and minutes every day.

My boss got the Never Lost system after hearing me praise GPS and using one in a rental car. He swears by it.

#21166 - 05/25/06 10:17 PM Re: Tom Tom [Re: Chooch]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
Yup, got a Navigator package in the Mini, its the bomb!

Plus the "Navigatrix", as we call her, has a cool British accent.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored