Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21245 - 05/25/06 12:44 PM New River Gorge Questions
Cornell Climber Online   content
journeyman

I'm planning a trip to the New River Gorge at the begining of June and was wondering if anyone has some recent beta. I was there once years ago and don't remember much about the area.

Specificially, I'd like recommendations for cheap/free car camping. Also, if you have recommendations for spectacular sport climbs in the 5.10 to 5.12- range, that would be appreciated.

The one thing I remember from my last visit is that car break-ins were a real problem. Is that still the case? If so, tips on camping and climbing trailheads with the fewest problems would be a real bonus.

Thanks!

#21246 - 05/25/06 01:34 PM Re: New River Gorge Questions [Re: Cornell Climber]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Most of the trailheads are within the national park and do not allow camping in them, they also get frequented often by locals just causing a general (more or less harmless) ruckus late at night. Most secure and cheapest camping seems to be Rogers camp ground. (just don’t drink the coffee) Break in’s at trail heads while climbing during the day was not a problem for me. My guess is it’s not as big of a problem as it once was.

I’m sure there is a few car camping out of the way spots that no one will bother you, but we didn’t find any.

#21247 - 05/25/06 06:47 PM Re: New River Gorge Questions [Re: Cornell Climber]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
You can camp in pullouts just past (on the one-way road) Junkyard Wall for free. It's sorta sketchy, but it is free. Rednecks will come roaring by in their trucks late at night, so make sure you are well off the road.

I think its a total ripoff to pay $5 to put your tent on a sloping field and listen to drunkards carry on all night... (I'm talking about Roger's.)

#21248 - 05/25/06 07:39 PM Re: New River Gorge Questions [Re: intrepid02]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
when we went there a while ago, we caped at one of the rafter campgrounds. it was pretty nice and not all that expensive, plus it had hot showers and nice bathrooms

If you have time i woul dactually try and get on a rafting trip, we did that and it was awesome, june is the perfect time for the rafting the new

#21249 - 05/25/06 07:50 PM Re: New River Gorge Questions [Re: CrackBoy]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Roger is about the nicest guy around, and he is the last holdout to a multihome development right at the Kaymoor trailhead. Support him and give thanks that there aren't McMansions right there.

RR

#21250 - 05/25/06 09:08 PM Re: New River Gorge Questions [Re: RangerRob]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
What Rob said. Roger is five bucks a night and he keeps patrol during the day.

#21251 - 05/26/06 03:52 AM Re: New River Gorge Roger Answers [Re: yorick]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
triple that.

pay roger, or at least buy shit from him so he doesnt sell out even if you're staying elsewhere...

#21252 - 05/26/06 01:11 PM Re: New River Gorge Roger Answers [Re: crackers]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Pull outs blow for car camping at the new. Ever wake up to a car with no muffle revving its engine at 3am in the morning next to you?

Roger is a great guy and the place is 99% climbers. Rogers shitty coffee in the morning is eased with the constant tales from Roger that end with “Aaaaaaallll yaaaaa booooy.”

#21253 - 05/26/06 02:57 PM Re: New River Gorge Questions [Re: Cornell Climber]
climbEEr Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
This isn't really related to camping in the New but it is an important piece of beta to know. DO NOT SPEED on RT 19 thru Summersville. It is the biggest speed trap, no matter what time of the day you go thru there. Last year we came in around 3AM and we saw 2 people getting tickets.

Have fun!

#21254 - 05/26/06 03:09 PM Re: New River Gorge Questions [Re: Cornell Climber]
Cornell Climber Online   content
journeyman

Thanks all. Sounds like Roger gets my $5 and I'll bring ear plugs for the drunks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored