Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 2 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#21357 - 06/07/06 09:44 PM Re: SteriPEN [Re: Dillbag]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
The specs for the device say to prefilter murky water.filter the water through a filter or cloth to remove the particulate matter, which will cause a significant attenuation of the intensity resulting in a possibility that regions in your bottle could be left untreated.....

As for distribution of various contaminations. In the past they were often localized to specific regions, but with the extensive travel of people in recent years, various bacteria, viruses and protazea have been spread. Gaurdia is one. In the past the Sierras never had it. Within the last 5-10yrs the rangers have said nearly all streams and lakes have tested positive for it.

Sort of like the fauna that hitch rides on boat props and are spread from lake to lake.

#21358 - 06/07/06 10:38 PM Re: SteriPEN [Re: Chas]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

As for distribution of various contaminations. In the past they were often localized to specific regions, but with the extensive travel of people in recent years, various bacteria, viruses and protazea have been spread. Gaurdia is one. In the past the Sierras never had it. Within the last 5-10yrs the rangers have said nearly all streams and lakes have tested positive for it.

It's interesting that while this discussion has been going on, the article about the Black Canyon in the latest issue of Climbing (which arrived this week) mentions that Randy Leavitt contracted giardia from drinking the Gunnison River water.....in 1984.
(On a side note, Randy hit the trifecta of also getting a severe case of poison ivy and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever on the same trip. He never went back.)

#21359 - 06/07/06 11:46 PM Re: Neurosis vs anaysis... [Re: D75]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
I've drunk from the pipe at the Uberfall, and I'd do so again.

Sure wouldn't drink from a glass D75 has touched to his lips, though - I'm sure he's a walking Typhoid Mary of nasty water-borne diseases! Hahahaha!

GO

#21360 - 06/13/06 03:26 PM Re: Neurosis vs anaysis... [Re: GOclimb]
drkodos Offline
addict

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Quote:

GO

Dead dear in the water supply does not bother you?

I modestly suggest you hike up to the top of the Uberfall area and take a gander at the source. Follow the incipient stream above Ken's Crack to it's source: a pool of stagnant rain water that has carcasses of dead mammals decomposing in it.

The best, and most easily accesable, water in the Gunks is from an artesian spring/well located on Clove Rd, 1/2 mile downhill from Lost City parking lot and on the same side of the road. Look for the concrete cistern.

Enjoy.

#21361 - 06/13/06 03:46 PM Re: Neurosis vs anaysis... [Re: D75]
mworking Offline
old hand

Upon rereading this I find it sounds as ludicrous as the last!

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Giardia cysts are extremely temperature tolerant.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe, but something must cause them to die. Else all the fresh water would have been impotable centuries ago.

D: You make it sound as drinkable water automatically has Giardia in it as part of its makeup.
I'd like to point out that Giardia has to be in the water before we need for it to die - whether we cause that death or not. Treated city I don't water is not available in my home, I don't treat it, and it has been tested and found to be OK. It is certainly OK as far as Giardia is concerned.

#21362 - 06/13/06 06:44 PM Re: Neurosis vs anaysis... [Re: drkodos]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Quote:

Quote:

GO

Dead dear in the water supply does not bother you?

I modestly suggest you hike up to the top of the Uberfall area and take a gander at the source. Follow the incipient stream above Ken's Crack to it's source: a pool of stagnant rain water that has carcasses of dead mammals decomposing in it.

I'm not talking about the runoff that comes out of the base of the cliff that runs through the culvert, but from the pipe that sometimes has a cup attached. The two seem to have a different source, since sometimes the one is running when the other isn't. Do you know anyone who's gotten sick from water from the pipe? I'd suggest that if the answer is no, then that strongly suggests that, whatever the source - whether it's that stream, or some other source, it's filtered through sufficient sediment to remove any pathogens.

Quote:

The best, and most easily accesable, water in the Gunks is from an artesian spring/well located on Clove Rd, 1/2 mile downhill from Lost City parking lot and on the same side of the road. Look for the concrete cistern.

Enjoy.

Good to know.

Oh, and by the way, that incipient stream is a torrent right now!

GO

#21363 - 06/13/06 07:02 PM Re: Neurosis vs anaysis... [Re: GOclimb]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I'm not talking about the runoff that comes out of the base of the cliff that runs through the culvert, but from the pipe that sometimes has a cup attached. The two seem to have a different source, since sometimes the one is running when the other isn't. Do you know anyone who's gotten sick from water from the pipe?

They have the same source, and, yes, I do know more than one person who has gotten sick from the pipe water. However, that was before the tiny pondlet below Jacob's Ladder was closed off and dogs et al had free access to the water. Seriously sick? No, but definite G.I. problems. It did smell distinctly foul for a period when there was indeed a deer carcass in the pond above and behind the Uberfall.

#21364 - 06/13/06 08:16 PM Re: Neurosis vs anaysis... [Re: MarcC]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not talking about the runoff that comes out of the base of the cliff that runs through the culvert, but from the pipe that sometimes has a cup attached. The two seem to have a different source, since sometimes the one is running when the other isn't. Do you know anyone who's gotten sick from water from the pipe?

They have the same source, and, yes, I do know more than one person who has gotten sick from the pipe water. However, that was before the tiny pondlet below Jacob's Ladder was closed off and dogs et al had free access to the water. Seriously sick? No, but definite G.I. problems. It did smell distinctly foul for a period when there was indeed a deer carcass in the pond above and behind the Uberfall.

I thought they were different... the metal pipe that had the cup I thought was a spring? As opposed to the other two pipes which are road runoff? I've never gotten sick (from either, actually) but ever since some helpful ranger (forget who) pointed out the difference to me, I stick to the metal pipe...

#21365 - 06/14/06 01:09 AM Re: Neurosis vs anaysis... [Re: Aya]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
the metal pipe that had the cup I thought was a spring?

next time, go across the road, lift up the cover of the trap and look at the mouth of the pipes. Then go up the uberfall and look at the swamp that MarcC and DrK describe...I like waterfilters.

#21366 - 06/14/06 10:17 AM Re: Neurosis vs analysis... [Re: crackers]
D75 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holiday Inn Express
Mommy,

Where do fish go to the bathroom? Who gets the fish out of the reservoir before they die?

Should I stop drinking the water from the pipe with the cup? Am I going to die?

Heavy metals in the water?

Edited by D75 (06/14/06 10:48 AM)

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored