Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#21367 - 06/14/06 02:31 PM Re: Neurosis vs analysis... [Re: D75]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Where do fish go to the bathroom? Who gets the fish out of the reservoir before they die?

What kind of processing does the water go through when it's pumped out of the reservoir and before it reaches your tap?
Quote:

Should I stop drinking the water from the pipe with the cup? Am I going to die?

If it will stop all this trolling...

#21368 - 06/15/06 02:29 AM Re: Neurosis vs analysis... [Re: MarcC]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
We are all going to die, but not all of us will get Giardia

#21369 - 06/15/06 10:52 PM Re: Neurosis vs analysis... [Re: intrepid02]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
The pipe water has made me a bit loose. Never sick.
Though I have not partaken since I learned of its true cliff top source.

#21370 - 06/15/06 11:25 PM Re: Neurosis vs analysis... [Re: Chooch]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

The pipe water has made me a bit loose. Never sick.

"a bit loose" = sick, in the view of the medical profession and water quality folks.

#21371 - 06/16/06 10:29 AM Re: Neurosis vs analysis... [Re: MarcC]
D75 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holiday Inn Express
"Loose" nicely describes the logic here.

Lots of people improperly ascribe a causal relationship to temporally coincident events.

What is missing? Identification of the actual agent in both the water and the body.

#21372 - 06/20/06 10:40 PM Re: Neurosis vs analysis... [Re: D75]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Funny how some people will go against common wisdom and recommendations of experts without facts and nothing will persuade them otherwise. Even when discussed with microbiologists, doctors, yada, yada, yada, they still have the "answer"... So be it...

#21373 - 06/21/06 12:19 AM Re: Neurosis vs analysis... [Re: Chas]
D75 Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

Funny how some people will go against common wisdom and recommendations of experts without facts and nothing will persuade them otherwise. Even when discussed with microbiologists, doctors, yada, yada, yada, they still have the "answer"... So be it...

Sad, how some people accept the "wisdom and recommendations of experts without facts" and ignore the facts that contradict the wisdom and recommendations.

Many of the people here have probably drunk the water from the pipe at the Gunks with no ill effects. I often do. Those two statements are factual. The human race survived drinking untreated water and still does, though not in as many places as they used to - fact. Finally the wikipedia reference backed up the claim that most water is potable. I have drunk from plenty of fresh water sources in my life without ever suffering gastric problems as a result - fact.

The one microbiologist on here has not even weighed in with any human harming organisms grown on a petri dish from a NYC sidewalk. Does it mean there are none? No, and he did not claim there would be any. Just sort of speculated that there might be.

So what about the radiation device. Is it worth the trouble? For sure, if your water has whatever it can treat and you do not have any alternatives. But is it worth its weight in the pack. Only if you know that your water is going to be bad, and you can't boil or iodine it, IMO (<- not fact, just opinion).

#21374 - 06/21/06 02:01 AM Re: Neurosis vs analysis... [Re: D75]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

But is it worth its weight in the pack. Only if you know that your water is going to be bad, and you can't boil or iodine it, IMO (<- not fact, just opinion).

OK, trying to mediate here...

You say treat the water if you know it's bad. Others say treat it if you don't know it's good.

Can't everyone see the difference between these two OPINIONS?

#21375 - 06/21/06 02:36 AM Genetic drift... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
D75 Offline
enthusiast

Nice Mike. Ok, if you are pretty sure it is going to be bad...

Does anybody else think that it is odd that prescriptions are always for 5 days, 1 week, 10 days or 2 weeks?

Why is it that the drug companies would pick such "round numbers" for the duration of an antibiotic? Do germs have a sabbath too? Other than fingers and toes, 5 and 10 are really unusual numbers in nature.

And these prescriptions are always in nice round numbers like 10, 20, 25, 50 milligrams, etc. Why is it that 10 milligrams takes 5 days, and not 3, 4, 6, or 9?

You know if there was ever an argument for using a binary number system, it would be sexual or asexual reproduction. So why are these prescriptions related to decimal numbers, or 5 or 7 day weeks or 30 day months?

Weird!

#21376 - 06/21/06 01:12 PM Re: Genetic drift... [Re: D75]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
"And these prescriptions are always in nice round numbers like 10, 20, 25, 50 milligrams, etc. Why is it that 10 milligrams takes 5 days, and not 3, 4, 6, or 9? "

It's a somewhat arbitrary amount, that's been shown to be clinically effective.

5 digits seems to be fairly widespread in nature, but not an unbroken rule - lots of tree frogs have fewer toes. I suspect having more though would lead to problems utilising the digits without them getting in each others way.

What are we talking about again?

Oh yeah - bacteria on the sidewalk - turns out that paving stones exposed to UV all day are actually a really harsh environment........

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored