Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21387 - 06/01/06 09:28 PM Any SUNY New Paltz students here?
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
It's claimed that yesterday Art Sulzberger apologized for last week's commencement speech--true or not?

#21388 - 06/06/06 10:38 PM Re: Any SUNY New Paltz students here? [Re: pedestrian]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
Article on the speech here:

http://www.ulsterpublishing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article&articleID=368587

I really hope he didn't issue an apology. Sounds like a great speech.

#21389 - 06/07/06 01:46 AM Re: Any SUNY New Paltz students here? [Re: intrepid02]
smokejumper1 Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY, CA, Deutschland
Quote:

Article on the speech here:

http://www.ulsterpublishing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article&articleID=368587

I really hope he didn't issue an apology. Sounds like a great speech.

All in all a pretty good speech. He should have left out the environmental crap. How can a corporation that big not be harming the environment? He should have appologised for all the trees the NY Times destroys for their paper.

#21390 - 06/07/06 10:16 AM Re: Any SUNY New Paltz students here? [Re: smokejumper1]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

He should have appologised for all the trees the NY Times destroys for their paper.

I would put cutting trees WAY down the list of envir. concerns. They grow back quite quickly. People who are against using a renewable resource probably also are against wind power (because some birds die) and solar installations (habitat alteration) and hydropower (fish issues). Not saying you are, BTW. Just me ranting.

#21391 - 06/07/06 10:20 AM Re: Any SUNY New Paltz students here? [Re: smokejumper1]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Here's another commencement speech worth reading.

#21392 - 06/08/06 03:18 AM Re: Any SUNY New Paltz students here? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
smokejumper1 Offline
journeyman

Quote:

Quote:

He should have appologised for all the trees the NY Times destroys for their paper.

I would put cutting trees WAY down the list of envir. concerns. They grow back quite quickly. People who are against using a renewable resource probably also are against wind power (because some birds die) and solar installations (habitat alteration) and hydropower (fish issues). Not saying you are, BTW. Just me ranting.

Seen the Black Forest recently? Almost all wood in Germany now comes from eastern Europe. How about the rainforest in Brazil? Yeah, trees grow back, most very slowly, but if you think before you type, you would understand that entire habitats are changed for decades when forests are clear cut for pulp. Entire ecosystems typically die. I'm 100% pro solar power and wind power. Just don't build the windmills in a migratory path.

#21393 - 06/08/06 03:20 AM Re: Any SUNY New Paltz students here? [Re: oenophore]
smokejumper1 Offline
journeyman

Quote:

Nice! I like Colbert, He's a pisser.

#21394 - 06/08/06 04:42 AM Re: Any SUNY New Paltz students here? [Re: smokejumper1]
mworking Offline
old hand

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice! I like Colbert, He's a pisser.

Thanks - that is hilarious. (I bet there a few moms and dads who didn't appriciate it at all though.)

Edited by mworking (06/08/06 03:18 PM)

#21395 - 06/08/06 10:02 AM Re: Any SUNY New Paltz students here? [Re: smokejumper1]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

Seen the Black Forest recently? Almost all wood in Germany now comes from eastern Europe. How about the rainforest in Brazil? Yeah, trees grow back, most very slowly, but if you think before you type, you would understand that entire habitats are changed for decades when forests are clear cut for pulp. Entire ecosystems typically die. I'm 100% pro solar power and wind power. Just don't build the windmills in a migratory path.

Oh. The NYT is printed in Germany? Or does the newsprint come from Brazil?

Help me, I'm trying to think before I type. Explain to me why the paper for the NYT doesn't come primarily from managed forestry in the Southeastern US.

In the meantime, maybe call for the apology you seek from the folks at Die Zeit or Bild.

#21396 - 06/08/06 01:07 PM Re: Any SUNY New Paltz students here? [Re: oenophore]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

The SUNY New Paltz address was fine, it was well done. The one is this link reads like it is conveyed by a bumbling idiot who attempts to but fails at lacing a serious topic with humor. If I were a student at that commencement I would be pissed off at my university for choosing such a flop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored