Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (wivanov), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#21420 - 06/04/06 01:22 PM Re: You'll never know what you will find at the Gunks on a rainy Saturday [Re: museumdork]
mso4man Offline
journeyman

Loc: Where the wind blows strange
We were hiking behind our house about a week or two ago (bayards) and we came accross a huge bear 350-500lbs? He was just chillin' and drinking some water out of a little pond.

A few days ago Gidget was out back when she heard him (or another) snorting on top of one of the boulders. Needless to say she left taco pronto.

We have just recently moved here and were led to believe that seeing bear around here was a rare event. We have seen 5 in the past month. Go figure.

peace

#21421 - 06/04/06 09:25 PM Re: You'll never know what you will find at the Gunks on a rainy Saturday [Re: mso4man]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

It totally looks like a jungle out there!

GO

#21422 - 06/04/06 09:47 PM Re: You'll never know what you will find at the Gunks on a rainy Saturday [Re: mso4man]
timh Offline

Loc: Delaware
They were probably just looking for a dry route.

#21423 - 06/05/06 03:08 PM Re: You'll never know what you will find at the Gunks on a rainy Saturday [Re: museumdork]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Quote:

I've seen evidence of bears -- mostly just stripped bark -- but never had a visual sighting until Friday.

Dell

Saw tons and tons of stripped bark near the base of Something Interesting yesterday...

#21424 - 06/05/06 06:07 PM Re: You'll never know what you will find at the Gunks on a rainy Saturday [Re: pedestrian]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
freakin' bears never heard of "leave no trace"?

okay, seriously though, if cliffs are closed for all manner of common bird nesting, should we worry about bear closures?

Edited by nerdom (06/05/06 06:09 PM)

#21425 - 06/05/06 06:24 PM Re: You'll never know what you will find at the Gunks on a rainy Saturday [Re: nerdom]
D75 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holiday Inn Express
Only if they nest on the GT ledge. Then you have to wait for them to fledge.

#21426 - 06/05/06 06:27 PM Re: You'll never know what you will find at the Gunks on a rainy Saturday [Re: D75]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
should we worry about bear closures?

typical range for a male bear is about 8 -15 miles.

#21427 - 06/05/06 06:30 PM Re: You'll never know what you will find at the Gunks on a rainy Saturday [Re: pedestrian]
ShakesALot Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NJ
Quote:

Quote:

I've seen evidence of bears -- mostly just stripped bark -- but never had a visual sighting until Friday.

Dell

Saw tons and tons of stripped bark near the base of Something Interesting yesterday...

Saw a dead mole at the base of High E yesterday, I figured it had taken the plunge but now....

#21428 - 06/05/06 06:59 PM Re: You'll never know what you will find at the Gunks on a rainy Saturday [Re: Smike]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
Quote:

should we worry about bear closures?

typical range for a male bear is about 8 -15 miles.

Actually, I think some of the big flakes at the base of the cliffs would make a pretty nice den... if it weren't for all the damn people crawling all over them.

Seriously, though, bears are not endangered. Actually, in the Berkshires, they've become a nuisance. My family has a cabin in the eastern foothills of the Berkshires, and they actually drop off problem bears from the city around us. If my neighbor is to be believed, some of the big males have started to form roving bands that come around, rip up people's birdfeeders, gardens, sheds...

Western Mass - the Australian Penal Colony of the Mass bear population.

GO

#21429 - 06/06/06 12:45 PM Re: You'll never know what you will find at the Gunks on a rainy Saturday [Re: GOclimb]
mso4man Offline
journeyman

Loc: Where the wind blows strange
You are correct.

We have just moved here from Windsor MA (middle of nowhere pop. 800). When we bought the house the old owners showed us 3 birdfeeders in the woodline that the bears had taken. They were completley intact just lacking the seed. One of which he said had been poached three times. I have seen huge bears using a path on my property as a road and they were never in a hurry.

The general store has about a dozen photos on the deli case of bears that locals bring in from their houses.

One morning the old owner pulled open one of the sliding doors to shoo her black lab away from the grease trap on their grill only to realize that it was a bear.

peace

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored