Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#21727 - 06/16/06 02:22 PM Re: What if.... [Re: Timbo]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

To answer Strat, I am in excellent shape: training for the NYC Tri has me doing two sports 3x/week and one sport the other 4 days. The minute the Tri is over on July 16th, I roll into NYC Marathon mode (since I'm in this year!!!). Climbing shape is absolutely pathetic right now; I'd pump out on a 5.7 if it were more than 75 feet. But I'm not worried about that now because it takes me 4-5 weeks to get back up into my normal (if not higher) grades for me.

I also sleep very well in a window seat and have developed a habit of flying to DIA for a weekend of, say mountain biking at elevation, and then taking the redeye back and surviving Monday.

This is to substitute my going into the woods naked and killing an animal to become a man....it's my 'solo' bachelor weekend, and I'm much more into some classics or a mountaineering route than I'd be into cragging someplace else. Though NH has long beckoned for me, so no, I don't have to fly somewhere.

And I like the suggestions so far. I'm going to start researching them. Thank you all!

JK

#21728 - 06/16/06 07:55 PM Re: What if.... [Re: JoeKayak]
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
Wow, sounds like you're in good shape assuming you're not too prone to the altitude thing. If you did plan on the Petit in a day (btw, I'm not sure if it's un-p.c. to recommend it, but there IS a way to cut about a mile off the approach hike...), you could also do, say, a long route in Eldo on Sunday. For example, Yellow Spur or Long John Wall or Rewritten. You wouldn't fly out to do one of these by themselves, but in combo with an RMNP route, it would be a pretty stellar weekend. (Of course, as Andrew mentioned, you'd have to hope for luck with the weather...)

-Carissa

#21729 - 06/16/06 08:51 PM Re: What if.... [Re: cfa]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
A couple years ago went to Cannon for a day and then traversed the northern Presidentials the next. Beer tasted just fine that night and didn't have to worry about the altitude. It is no substitute for a higher adventure, but flying in and out of Manchester makes for a much less frenetic experience.
Let us know what you pick.

#21730 - 06/16/06 09:00 PM Re: What if.... [Re: chip]
powpierre Offline
journeyman

Loc: reno,nv
If I were you I would contact Peter Croft in Bishop and go do something back up in the Sierras. Maybe like fishhook arete down near Whitney or something up near the Incredible Hulk up near Bridgeport.. That way you would have an incredible climb with a great guide and one who has literally written the book on the area you will be in. He has soloed most of the routes and will be able to get you in and out of the backcounrty faster than anyone. Fly through Reno Or Vegas.

#21731 - 06/17/06 12:10 AM Re: What if.... [Re: nerdom]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Quote:

But I'd also suggest going out to the Tetons and doing Irene's Arete. Fantastic climb in a spectacular setting. Can be done in a day car to car. And Jackson Hole is just a very cool place to spend your non-climbing time.

Great to see these recommendations because I'm going to Yellowstone/Tetons for my family vacation this August. I'm thinking now I need to leave the kids with hubby and get myself a guide for a day to play. So how long (and steep) are the approaches for a 1 day Tetons climb? I am extremely aerobically challenged with bad knees, so I try to avoid long, steep approaches. If it's hopeless, are there other easier-to-get-to places to climb in that area?

Jannette

#21732 - 06/17/06 01:01 AM Re: What if.... [Re: Jannette]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

So how long (and steep) are the approaches for a 1 day Tetons climb? I am extremely aerobically challenged with bad knees, so I try to avoid long, steep approaches.

That would argue against Irene's (early in the approach is a 1500' elevation gain in about a mile of hiking) but there are other options. Start your research here:
http://www.exumguides.com/dayclimbs/dayclimbs.shtml

#21733 - 06/18/06 12:16 AM Re: What if.... [Re: MarcC]
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
Lots of the Tetons so-called day climbs seem to be preceded by long and/or steep approaches. I wasn't terrifically fit the last time I was there, and I thought the Lupine Meadows Trail (and thus all the climbs stemming from it) was long, especially with the camping gear I was carrying since it WAS too long to then go climbing right afterwards. Symmetry Spire is a little more manageable..I don't remember the approach exactly, but we did do it in a day...there may have been some steep sections, but definitely not as long.

-Carissa

#21734 - 06/18/06 03:34 AM Re: What if.... [Re: cfa]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Several of us will be out there in mid-July, and a certain Brown Dog may have some difficulty with consecutive tough approaches. Any suggestions for a couple easier approach days are welcome. Either that or we make him stay up in the saddle for the whole week.

#21735 - 06/19/06 04:33 AM Re: What if.... [Re: chip]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
I emailed Exum and the Jackson Hole Mountain Guides (jhmg.com). I haven't heard back from Exum yet, but this is what the Jackson Hole guys said about climbs they will guide to with short approaches:

There are a couple of good possibilities. One would be Guides Wall in Cascade Canyon and the other would be a Death Canyon rock climb such as Dihedral of Horrors or maybe the Snaz. The approaches are as short as you can find in the Tetons; one to two hours of trail walking with minimal elevation gain followed by steep but short slopes to the base of the routes. There's also a limestone sport climbing crag, the Hoback Shield, which is in a river canyon and is a ten or fifteen minute walk from the car. We'd be happy to guide you on any of these.

Jannette

#21736 - 06/19/06 12:28 PM Re: What if.... [Re: Jannette]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
Climbing at hoeback is like sitting in the deli drinking beer instead of climbing in the gunks. As I recall, most of the climbs are uphill...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored